Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dg93

[DM Project] - Z-Match 2015: The Final Fight

joe-ilya said:

V2 of my map:
Name : Molten core
Link : https://www.mediafire.com/?4hhycvu12hrtw5m

Joe, I'm really sorry but I just don't like that map at all. The layout isn't good and the texture usage is awful.

Shogun said:

A map i made within 3 hours

Name: Tech-9

http://www76.zippyshare.com/v/30289666/file.html

I have mixed feelings on this one. To be honest, I don't really want anymore symmetrical maps (because there already is one in the PWAD) and the texture usage is very plain and simple. It just seems too much like a DWANGO map to me and I'm looking for more creative looking maps kind of like what Captain Toenail has.

Joe667 said:

Just a quick question, does Odamex support Portals and flats on walls/textures on floors?

Nope, the flats are limited to floor/ceiling and textures are limited to the walls. You might be able to get around that with UDMF format, but then it won't run in Zdaemon.

It is easily possible to extract whatever floor/texture you want and save it as the other, though, and I often do this. Just keep in mind floors have to be 64x64. If you need some help just PM me!

EDIT: To both Shogun and Joe-ilya, I actually think both of these maps look kinda fun, even despite the dwango-esque layouts and texturing. (I'm a sucker for that shit anyway.) Would either of you mind if I tidy them up a bit, and change the layouts just slightly? If you don't like what I do, it of course doesn't have to be used.

Guest Unregistered account

Hey, here are a few shots of my in-progress map. It looks quite plain so far, but I wanted to show you the basic idea before I continue so I know if it looks too cramped/not oldschool/not the style you're looking for.
Here, it's meant to be a space station:

What do you think? ;)

EDIT: Screenshots taken with GLBoom-Plus. The angles I took the screenshots from don't really show off the details very well; especially the second screenie, which looks quite bland. :/

Looks decent. I would worry about the little details like borders and windows till after you've perfected the layout, as it looks like some of those rooms may need widened a bit. Also they tend to obstruct the players.

In terms of visuals/theme, I'd say your map is spot on, Joe667. Like Cpt. T said, don't worry too much about the details til you've got the layout finished - At least, I find that works better for me.

I'm keen to see what you've got whenever you're ready, just shoot me a PM if you don't want to post it publicly. I'm very non-harsh with my feedback, so don't worry about that.

Do you ever get the chance to DM? Open up an IRC chat client and idle in irc.quakenet.org #dmstuff. That's my 'home' channel, we can organize some playtesting and stuff from there really easily. (You can get to it easily on Doomseeker or IDE!)

I'd like to see the rest of you there too, don't hesitate. It'd be nice to talk, work and playtest in real-time with you guys. I'm usually online from about 7-8PM USA east coast time.

Alright, just spent some time touching up Joe-ilya's map - http://www.mediafire.com/download/49kvv1k997j70o0/linedkid.wad

Cleaned up the texuting, and tried to make the layout slighty less symmetrical (it's still a basic frag arena, though.) I think this one will be a lot of fun to play. There's a secret plasma rifle.

I'm not sure I'm happy with the texturing on the 2 buildings, im not a fan of the STARTAN exterior, or the shiny silver interior, but I don't know what to replace the textures with.

Cool! I like how you aleternated everything. But the buildings can get cut off if you look at them from a certain angle, make them shorter.

Excellent foundation, I'd be happy to mess it up for you Cpt T. ;) Maybe we can play a bit of catch with this one. I'll add some stuff, then see if Miano wants to as well, then you can finish it off however you see fit.

This is definitely the fastest I've ever seen a group DM wad come together that wasn't a bunch of shitty speedmaps. Looking forward to making a title/interpic and cleaning it all up and sorting that maps and midis and all. I love doing that shit.

Joe667 said:

Hey, here are a few shots of my in-progress map. It looks quite plain so far, but I wanted to show you the basic idea before I continue so I know if it looks too cramped/not oldschool/not the style you're looking for.
Here, it's meant to be a space station:

What do you think? ;)

EDIT: Screenshots taken with GLBoom-Plus. The angles I took the screenshots from don't really show off the details very well; especially the second screenie, which looks quite bland. :/

I think this looks like a good start. It's hard to tell because I'm not really seeing the whole map, just bits and pieces of it.

Doomkid said:

Alright, just spent some time touching up Joe-ilya's map - http://www.mediafire.com/download/49kvv1k997j70o0/linedkid.wad

Cleaned up the texturing, and tried to make the layout slightly less symmetrical (it's still a basic frag arena, though.) I think this one will be a lot of fun to play. There's a secret plasma rifle.

I'm not sure I'm happy with the texturing on the 2 buildings, I'm not a fan of the STARTAN exterior, or the shiny silver interior, but I don't know what to replace the textures with.

This looks a little bit better. I agree that the texturing on the 2 buildings looks like an eyesore. Most STARTAN textures don't look good as an exterior. Also, those little pools of water just have to go. They look like surf-boards or something and they look plain ugly.

Captain Toenail said:

I've got a WIP 4th map here if anyone wants to finish it. My maps are all getting a bit samey so I think it could benefit from someone elses style/imagination to finish it off. http://www.mediafire.com/download/1hnxueuwnnnps9q/tech4.wad

Looks like a good base to work with. Maybe Doomkid or I will look into editing it. It has potential.

Inkie said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dokowz210la9ijh/Hunters.wad?dl=0
A vaguely dwango inspired map, should be vanilla compatible.

Might be too much of a fustercluck with 8 people though. I'll probably need to do some detailing to it later too.

Well, it's certainly a good start. Definitely way too small to handle 8 players. Some of the textures don't look very nice. You know, I might be able to do some editing on this if you would allow me to do so.

To everyone else: Here is beta 3 http://www.mediafire.com/download/ctwhs5a66uztdll/TechDM_v3.zip It contains 7 maps. I also changed the midis (just as an experiemnet). I personally like these midis a lot better and they go very well with the tech theme for all the maps. Please let me know what you think.
Joe-ilya, your map has been added to the beta 3 PWAD, though I strongly think it needs some more revision done to it. Shogun, I don't think I will be accepting that map. It is too DWANGO-ish. (By DWANGO-ish, I am refering to the symmetrical layout, gameplay mechanics, and texture usage). Though, I will allow you to improve on this map or have other people try to edit it. You are also more than welcome to submit something new the project. Doomkid, I personally don't like the sky texture with the green stars. Do you mind if we use Captain Toenail's grey cloudy looking sky for the maps? It kinda looks better to be honest.

EDIT: I'm still waiting on Joe Pallai's map and Joe667's map. Also, Doomkid I'm still not sure what I want to name this DM WAD as. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

On another note: Quality gameplay is very important. If maps lack good gameplay mechanics, they are bound to be cut. That is top priority. I also would like to encourage more detailing from authors (more specifically Doomkid and Joe-ilya) once the maps have incorporated good gameplay mechanics. If you guys can imitate the detailing style Captain Toenail has in his maps, that would be wonderful. My goal is to keep the map set consistent.

For the credits screen: Do you guys want to use your real names or do you want to go by your Doomworld nick names?

Inkie, I really dig that TNT inspired map. I would remove a few pillars and maybe change around a few textures, but it looks way fun.

Just sent you the ugly extreme alpha of my WAD, the_miano!

Inkie said:

What should be done about the texturing?

I think there should be much less METAL/METAL2 textures. I also don't like the way the SLIME textures look to in contrast with the METAL textures. Perhaps more STARGR1 would be more suitable kind of like how you made the Water Station map for Deathmatch Revival. Do you think you can make something similar to that map, just maybe not as symmetrical? I really liked the way you used the BROWN96, STARGR1, SLADWALL, BRONZE1, and the BIGBRIK1 TEXTURES. Also the gameplay quality of that map was ideal for 8 players.

I personally think some of the sectors/hallways are a bit too narrow. Though, your map isn't all that linear (which is a good thing) but I would like to see is retextured along with having the outdoor area prettified. I would also do away with the pillars and route to the plasma rifle.

Joe667 said:

Just sent you the ugly extreme alpha of my WAD, the_miano!

I saw it and it is a very nice looking map. My only concern is that the theme is too newschool which would look a bit out of place with the other maps. Though I would still like to see a finished version of this map. Worst case scenario it gets rejected but it can still be used in a more suitable DM project.

Maybe there should be a central theme to this project then, if you want to tie all the maps together nicely? At the moment we have a mixture of oldschool and newschool tech/earthbase maps. Greenwar makes me think of those green concrete walls and blobby layouts with lots of stairs.

I would suggest a mixture of NMN Corp/Deconstruct/Darkbase texture packs for a gritty industrial theme, but that's just my preferance. Honestly, the stock textures are getting boring and new textures can give the wad a unique identity. Maybe this could be an idea for a future wad instead, just throwing ideas around. :)

Captain Toenail said:

Maybe there should be a central theme to this project then, if you want to tie all the maps together nicely? At the moment we have a mixture of oldschool and newschool tech/earthbase maps. Greenwar makes me think of those green concrete walls and blobby layouts with lots of stairs.

I absolutely agree. I'm not looking to make another Deathmatch Revival with a mishmash of different mapping styles and themes. I would really like to keep a consistent theme going here. DK is currently in the process of fixing up his maps to make them resemble the detailing you have in your maps.

Captain Toenail said:

I would suggest a mixture of NMN Corp/Deconstruct/Darkbase texture packs for a gritty industrial theme, but that's just my preferance. Honestly, the stock textures are getting boring and new textures can give the wad a unique identity. Maybe this could be an idea for a future wad instead, just throwing ideas around. :)

Personally, I would like to use the Doom 2 stock textures, but I understand what you mean about how they can get boring after a while. I'm also unfamiliar with NMN Corp/Deconstruct/Darkbase texture packs, though I'm sure they are decent.

Getsu Fune said:

this project looked interesting, so I dug out some old DM maps I made and found one:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2...eathmatch11.wad

I remember making this (and others) in just an hour. not sure if it thematically fits into the project though (it's not as techy as it should be).

I'm not digging this map to be honest. It just doesn't seem like it belong in the pack, though maybe it can be touched up? Even still it needs a lot of revision done to it.

nah I can withdraw it. it's just a speedmap from about 10 I made a few months back, and I somehow knew it wouldn't thematically fit anyways. unfortunately, none of my other maps have the tech theme in them.

So me and Miano were talking - Cpt T's maps kinda remind us of the POBLA deathmatch maps. They're great maps from yesteryear with smooth texturing and layouts. Maybe we should try and use this as inspiration?

Doomkid said:

So me and Miano were talking - Cpt T's maps kinda remind us of the POBLA deathmatch maps. They're great maps from yesteryear with smooth texturing and layouts. Maybe we should try and use this as inspiration?

They really do resemble Captain Toenail's maps very well. I'm also in the progress of editing his unfinished map (Tech4).

Oh wow; it turns out that POBLA1 was the map that turned me onto using closed door sectors for upper/lower texturing tricks. (I don't know why it never occurred to me before that, but seeing the support3 under the MarbFac3 really made it obvious to me). I'll have to check out the rest now.

joepallai said:

Oh wow; it turns out that POBLA1 was the map that turned me onto using closed door sectors for upper/lower texturing tricks. (I don't know why it never occurred to me before that, but seeing the support3 under the MarbFac3 really made it obvious to me). I'll have to check out the rest now.

I think there are a couple of the POBLA maps that have a few minor bugs, such as players getting stuck between something. But other than that, they are excellent maps for inspiration.

OK, development on my map is coming along nicely, work's happening fast!

The master of useless screenshots that don't help anyone decipher what the level's actually like strikes again!

Miano and DoomKid, should I send the level I created for DoomRenegade's seemingly lost DM project to you for this one? It was very oldschool as the name (Party like It's 1996!) implies.

Joe667 said:

OK, development on my map is coming along nicely, work's happening fast!

The master of useless screenshots that don't help anyone decipher what the level's actually like strikes again!

Miano and DoomKid, should I send the level I created for DoomRenegade's seemingly lost DM project to you for this one? It was very oldschool as the name (Party like It's 1996!) implies.

Looks like a nice map. I have no idea what is happening with DoomRenegade's project but I do remember that party like it's 1996 map you made. I think that could be touched up to resemble a POBLA theme.

sincity2100 said:

I may get involved in the project

Glad to hear that. What kind of maps are you able to make? We could use more that resemble the POBLA theme.