Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pez

ARCHIE [Release 1]

HOWDY.

ARCHIE is a high-surrealism modern doom wad with an equally high system requirement. It tells a story about hipsters using technology to create a singularity timesink from which they can never escape, on purpose, and how they affect those around them with something that isn't real. Words words words, muh level design, muh different shit, remember that really old stuff, etc etc, quid pro quo, yadda yadda yadda, environments. Point and click games suck.

------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -------------

DOWNLOAD LINK
At the beginning so you won't have a chance to not read everything below:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9n1g98joya9t2qv/ARCHIE_RELEASE_1B.rar

Includes Quick Start Guide with all of this information.

------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -------------

TRAILER AND SCREENSHOTS

"CHIE", this wad is not about chia-pets

Spoiler

HOW TO PLAY

Choose "LEVEL CHOOSER" and follow the white line directly to your left. This way you can play it from start to finish.

LEVEL CHOOSER exists so that you can:
-Skip to any map if there is a bug not yet fixed that is preventing you from going on
-Make skipping to any map easier since using map warp cheats will not work

ENGINE SUPPORT

Zandronum 1.2*, Zandronum 1.3, fully tested.
GZDooM 1.8.02, fully tested.

IWADs Supported: For DOOM2.WAD, would probably work with freedoom or final doom but it has not been tested.

DEVELOPMENTAL ENGINE BUILDS ARE NOT SUPPORTED AND WILL BREAK EVERYTHING.

>What is a developmental build?
gzdoom above 1.8.02, or Zandronum 1.3-alpha*, Zandronum 2.0*, etc. You can get this information as the engine is starting up in the small text window, or by opening the console with ~ and scrolling up with PAGE UP.

I understand that development builds are very popular with zdoom and this forum because of legitimate actual use for new features. Unfortunately developmental builds break absolutely everything in this wad. If you guys can pick a specific build, I will make this wad work with it.

LICENSE
This project is released under an anti-hipster license which I just made up which states the following:
1. You must play through, or at the very least, watch someone else play, a part before pretending to hate on it.
2. You can edit and mod this project for free and do whatever you want as long as you link to either this or the zand thread.
3. You may not pretend to be me.

HOW TO SUBMIT A BUG

1. What non-development build version you are using.
2. What map you were on (press tab and copy the white name)
3. What you were doing when it happened, as best as you can remember.
4. Screen Resolution
5. Computer specs including video card and processor
6. What choice of CPULIMIT you picked.
7. Post all of the above in this thread.

If you do not post your engine version I am going to assume that you are using a developmental build.

LIST OF KNOWN BUGS TO BE FIXED FOR NEXT RELEASE
(none, yet!)

This is the weirdest wad I've played in a long time. Is this some kind of experiment or something?

The RC car level / map7end2 / blue gloomy area had the player start in the wrong place from testing another area out. This has been changed in a new link. If you don't want to re-download, when that map starts use idclip to go all the way to the west most part of the map. You should see the RC car and a voodoo doll marine of yourself, that was where you were supposed to start. insert snarky comment about bugs here

I'm pretty sure this is a jokewad because at the start of each map I hear Eric Cartman laughing or w/e and then talking about old school doomers not liking recent engine updates.

Though I will admit some of the effects are pretty cool.

Good day citizens. I have played through this wad, and given some thought --perhaps too much-- to the matter and would like to say some things about it.
Archie is a strange thing. It runs in Doom, and it uses Doom monsters, but it does not want to be Doom. It is almost more of an interactive avante-garde film than a doom project, though there are some periods of traditional violence to be had. It is not a "joke wad." It may have some jokes in it, but it is very serious. I think anybody who is interested in acs scripting or making a 20 year old game look new should try it out. I have run a few "ground breaking" wads here and there and they usually still look like doom, even if they replaced all the graphics (although it would help if they didn't just grab stuff out of Hexen or Duke3d which are directly related to Doom but that is another story).

If you have to do it invincible, or with a key bound to the resurrect command, I say do not let that stop you. The wad seems to be daring you to make things as hard for yourself as possible, but in fact it is designed to keep you from winning if you do that. What Archie, the wad, wants the player to think of it is not revealed all at once.

Even if you think this wad is too weird, or your computing system (like mine) absolutely chokes at some points for seemingly no reason, I think you should try and push through anyway, because the virtuosity with the scripting and engine mechanics is beyond or certainly different than anything I have previously encountered. I think what the wad needs at this point is specific feedback about what things do not work, and which ones really do, since up to now reports have been vague or based on usage of incorrect doom versions (the "dev builds" that have been chastised).

Archie IS rather heavy on the vagueness of purpose up front, but If you feel like giving up, I would suggest warping via the console "map" command to map05 or map08end or map7end2 to see some of the later levels that do not require you to have any idea what is going on.

Unholypimpin said:

old school doomers not liking recent engine updates.

Are you trying to run this on zdoom? You need gzdoom or zandronum, zdoom is missing too much stuff.

Lenswot said:
some critique!

I'm thankful someone got through all or part of it without experiencing game ending bugs. A lot of the comments so far are vague as to where they are in the wad or if they finished it or not. I'm just curious if you or anyone else could give some longer and/or more specific critique, this board seems to rush on giving input for everything except this wad for some reason. thanks.

pez said:

this board seems to rush on giving input for everything except this wad for some reason.

I can't speak for anyone else, but at 179mb its a bit of a hefty download for such an unknown entity.

The trailer can give you a look at the surroundings without a full commitment, although it does not necessarily put across the tone of the levels once you are in them, but that is often the nature of "trailer"s. However, clearly people have played some levels, at least.

I actually did start playing this, because the complete battiness of the trailer made me very interested to see what was going on. My computer is senile and doesn't run your wad very well (plus I think I need to update GZDoom) but I definitely intend to play more of it at some point.

So far all I got to was the bit where the oldfag goes into E1M1 and is horrified by all the ZDoom features. It was kind of funny though maybe it went on a bit too long. In any case I accidentally entered the same stage through a different entrance and then couldn't leave. I think it's bugging with my version of GZDoom, since it gives me a script error of some sort periodically. It definitely looks cool, though, really does feel more like a weird interactive art project than a game.

i think that is supposed to be a "bonus" level for afterward. The game start options could probably be more clear; selecting either "-----------" sends you to the final "boss" level. The correct start has a shot of a laptop computer. Although if you have a wrong version of the engine things will go wrong anyway. It looks like pez put a version of gzdoom in the ZIP, so I assume that works, though I have been using zandronum, myself. Which still generates console errors at startup but nothing IN the levels.

i had a little go earlier, and while I can appreciate the fact that this wad exists, I don't think I'll be diving much further into it as the small sections I tried had no obvious goals and headache inducing visuals. Since its obviously more artistic experiment than game its going to be very difficult for people to comment on it because it plainly is what its meant to be, and no one really has a solid idea of what its meant to be. But I expect many people will be glad that it is out there nonetheless.

Guest Unregistered account

The trailer honestly looks like it was taken through Terry's eyes while he was on magic mushrooms.

It's an Experience!

I think some effects and areas are very awesome. Extremely awesome I never thought i'd ever seen on a doom source port

StupidBunny said:

So far all I got to was the bit where the oldfag goes into E1M1 and is horrified by all the ZDoom features. It was kind of funny though maybe it went on a bit too long. In any case I accidentally entered the same stage through a different entrance and then couldn't leave. I think it's bugging with my version of GZDoom, since it gives me a script error of some sort periodically.

That is a little joke if you pick zdoom. There's nothing wrong with zdoom, it's just missing things that this wad absolutely relies on. If you seem to be running into massive problems every second and it feels like the levels are not working probably, you're almost certainly on a dev build. gzdoom 1.8.02 works perfectly and almost all dev/nightly builds of it cause positively everything to break in this wad.