Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ishtar's Gate

Railroaded, a single level replacement for Doom 2.

It's alright for a first wad. You're obviously only learning how to work with the editor. In order to set you in the right direction, I can point out a few problems: First, gameplay balance is off. Pistoling demons is no fun for the player, THING placement generally seems too random and quirky. Then there's a bug - soulsphere on the secret pedestal doesn't appear on UV difficulty (there's nothing), but the sector is still flagged as secret. Level design: One straight corridor with uniform texturing, floor and ceiling height is minimally interesting - feel free to spice it up with more textures, more rooms variously connected to each other, more height and light variation, more "sane" combat etc. This map is waaay too short.

You've used a stealth monster. I think you should avoid that. It also reveals that you've used an advanced map format - ZDoom in Doom, or possible UDMF? Since you're a beginner, I can recommend you to start with a basic format - "Doom 2", or slightly more advanced "Boom". It'll help you to focus on basics of design/gameplay and not be distracted by fancy features that do NOTHING good when used incorrectly (that means, not in combination with good design and gameplay).

Good luck with your further mapping.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
scifista42 said:

It also reveals that you've used an advanced map format - ZDoom in Doom

Just want to chime in to respectfully remind everyone that "ZDoom in Doom" is not a map format. Please continue.

Fisk said:

Just want to chime in to respectfully remind everyone that "ZDoom in Doom" is not a map format.

You're right. "ZDoom in Doom" is just a DB2 setting that works exactly like Doom format and also allows to use a very basic set of ZDoom-specific features and things. It's not at all worth mapping it this format, IMO. Either go for full UDMF format (if you want features), or stick to basic non-ZDoom formats (to better learn working with the Doom engine, which I advised before).