Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sincity2100

Good Morning Phobos Final Version on Idgames "Link Update"

Probably due to your map being subpar to the rest of the project. Just because one person liked it doesn't mean sincity2100 has to add it.

joe-ilya said:

Someone liked my map, so will it be listed? It's not there.

That doesn't mean that I'll add it immediatly to the Project,this map should be viewed to everyone to see.

Here are my FDAs for maps "Clash of Two Universes" and "Three Ways To Midnight @". I would honestly say that they're (in style and in principle) no different from your other maps. The good thing about them is texturing and detailing. The bad thing are:

1. Repetitive patterns in architecture and gameplay setups - to name a few ones: Oversized-ness, switch hunts, generic thematic setting + kinds of depicted objects, enemy cast = ONLY many zombies/imps OR medium amount of medium-tier monsters OR one Archvile/boss enemy with small support (could use better interplay of monster types), enemy placement = ONLY mooks on a flat ground OR turrets (could use better interplay between architectural elements and monster placement), rooms treated too much as individual blocks (rather than intertwined for fresher look and gameplay dynamic-ness). Maybe you are actually using them less then you did before, but if so, only slightly so.
2. Lack of true non-linearity - as in giving the player many different ways, parallel to each other while also interweaving each other, that he can choose to explore the entire map in any order.
3. Filler fights - for each well-thought-out exciting scenario, there is at least a dozen of mundane and easily campable filler fights featuring hundreds of monsters, each of them merely destined to keep the player busy for a few extra seconds of camping behind a corner. Yet worse due to the fact that the maps are pretty long.
4. Occasional forced pickups (unavoidable pickups in your way to mandatory switches or doors).

Hey scifista, critisize my map "torn" please, I'd like to hear what you think about it, if it's non-linear, if it resembles any of my previous works, etc.

scifista42 said:

Lack of true non-linearity - as in giving the player many different ways, parallel to each other while also interweaving each other, that he can choose to explore the entire map in any order.

Can you give me some examples of true Non-linear maps you're talking about because I'm trying to make attempts to do it?

I will try to list ones with particularly distinct non-linearity:

Doom 1: E1M4, E2M2, E2M5, E3M2, E3M3, E3M6
Doom 2: MAP10, MAP12, MAP13, MAP15
Vanguard: MAP03
BTSX E1: MAP07, MAP12, MAP15
Valiant: MAP11, MAP13, MAP26, MAP29

DISCLAIMER: Forgive me the bias in my selection of example wads, they are some of notable wads that I like. Also, I could have listed a couple more maps from the abovementioned wads, but I omited those maps that I disliked for whatever reason. There are definitely less "famous" mapsets with greater non-linearity out there. I just didn't have them quickly available on my computer to examine their non-linearity.

joe-ilya said:

Hey scifista, critisize my map "torn" please, I'd like to hear what you think about it, if it's non-linear, if it resembles any of my previous works, etc.

-Resemble your previous works: Yes.
-Non-linear: More like chaotic, in large scale.
-Style-wise completely different that sincity's maps, really doesn't fit this project IMO.

So I can't figure out what I want to do with this map and I feel really bad because I want to help you out with your megawad. You can have what I've done with Nuclear Passage so far. Lately I've been wanting to make more abstract maps and I've been messing around with that lately but whenever I come back to your map I get "mapper's block" and I'm sorry. It's just right now I'm finding it really hard to work on this.

I mean I'm glad you liked the other map but this one is just ugh.

You can still have what I've worked on so far if you want.

Good Morning Phobos

This is the Alpha Release of my Megawad Good Morning Phobos,note that this is not the final version,so I may replace maps with others.

this is for you people to Try my Megawad,what is the good things about my maps, and what's bad and if there's anything you want to add to my game to make it better and so on.

here's the link of the Megawad http://www.mediafire.com/download/lt93bnjiakcxqct/GMP+Alpha.wad

there are still Empty slots in the Megawad and it's still under developement

Maps:
Map01 Unresolved Business
Map02 Labs
Map03 Waterworks 3/4 by Hoodie , 1/4 by Me
Map04 Power Center
Map05 (EMPTY)
Map06 Polluted Playground
Map07 (EMPTY)
Map08 Cooldown
Map09 Ancient Evil
Map10 (EMPTY)
Map11 (EMPTY)

Map12 Thieves in the Night
Map13 Rusty Security
Map14 Base XUZ
Map15 Dead Zone II
Map16 Hunter's Moon
Map17 Paradox Station
Map18 (EMPTY)
Map19 (EMPTY)
Map20 Three Ways to Hell

Map21 Homewelcoming
Map22 Blackout
Map23 The Assylum
Map24 Skyfall
Map25 Old Demon Warehouse
Map26 Knee Deap to Hell
Map27 Molten Jenecide
Map28 (EMPTY)
Map29 Hybrid Excalibur
Map30 (EMPTY)

Secret Maps:

Map31 Paradise
Map32 Divided Turmoil
Dark Underground https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1FIIIc0zAO_SmV0UjBnc3lkM0U/view (paymentplan) (Unfinished)
Skulls Base http://www.mediafire.com/download/4xctdidpo2941t4/Skulls+Base.wad

If you wanna Help and create a map for my project which is still open,I'll Gladly accept it

Rules:

1-This one is a boom Compatible so you can do whatever you like,no ZDoom stuff please

2-This gonna be a classic doomwad with good difficulty

3-Slaughter maps are allowed,but don't throw me a Hell Revealed difficulty,it will be rejected.

4-You can upload maps from somall to Normal to Large Maps,don't make some type of a "City of the Unavanged" map where you make a city map and make it a maze.

5-Don't pour a lot of Huge maps that makes me go to the other side of the world where I can get lost please,just upload a variations of mapset with different sizes please

6-the CC4 texture pack will be allowed in this one,and here's the download link grandvoid.sickedwick.net/wads/cc4-tex.zip

If you want, I got some stuff that's either unfinished that you could finish or finished maps in need of a project to include in your megawad.

Well if you can improve visuals and gameplay to something what the included maps have, then it would have a better chance. But until then, your map is in the garbage.

Gustavo6046 said:

This. It is the same one in my thread, but it may fit right into your work.

The same message I said to Joe applies to you. Improve your mapping until you get decent visuals and gameplay like the included maps have. Your map right now currently doesn't work at all and will be tossed aside to the garbage until you improve and you have a long way to go.

Impboy4 said:

Well if you can improve visuals and gameplay to something what the included maps have, then it would have a better chance. But until then, your map is in the garbage.

What does "improve the visuals and gameplay" mean? Make it easier and more detailed.

joe-ilya said:

What does "improve the visuals and gameplay" mean? Make it easier and more detailed.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

I think he means that you have to add a bunch of things that just look fancy and I don't really know what he means gameplay-wise...

The mapset definitely feels like a modern take on TNT (without the crap stuff).

I generally like both the gameplay and visuals of the maps even though I have to agree with scifista42's criticisms.
The linearity is definitely noticeable in some maps and many players are hard on that. One thing I noticed is that you often place keys right next to their corresponding doors which on the one hand is very convenient but it reinforces the linearity of the map and maybe can make the player ask "Why even use a key then? Why not a switch?"

I've played through maps 01-15, 31, 32 and here are some bugs I noticed:

map02:
Whatever effect you're using in sector 149 it produces a huge HOM in GLBoom+ and different undesirable visual effect in other ports like PrBoom+ or ZDaemon.

map03:
Linedefs 791, 800, 941, 944, 1285 and 2804 use sector tag 0 which means they don't work in the intended boom compatibility (-complevel 9).

In the unlikely but not impossible scenario that all players inside sector 200 die before pressing the switch, rest of the players are stuck and can't progress in the map.

map04:
In -complevel 9 the mancubus (thing 373) inside the room with the yellow key is unable to move and therefore harmless.

map06:
From the place where you can jump to the secret sector 284 it's also possible to jump to sector 283 and there's no way out of it without using cheats.

map08:
There seems to be no way how to pick up one of the BFGs (thing 221). I suppose that's intentional...?

map09:
Possibly a minor nitpick but one of the hanging corpses (thing 309) inside this room blocks the player from above if you use infinitely tall actors (no way to turn it off in -complevel 9). Rest of the hanging corpses in the room are not blocking.

map13:
The room where you teleport to after taking red key is only accessible once. This is bound to annoy players who care about getting 100% kills and secrets. (The teleporter outside of that area is also one-time only).

map14:
In -complevel 9 spider mastermind (thing 489) inside the exit room is unable to move and therefore harmless.

In GLBoom+ the flats in sectors 444 and 773-775 produce a HOM.

map15:
It's possible to jump from the pillar with berserk to this area.

map31:
In -complevel 9 chaingunners can fall into sectors 514 and 515 while still alive and in that case they can no longer be killed.

map32:
In -complevel 9 cyberdemon in the red skull door (thing 415) is unable to move and therefore harmless.

I probably won't play more maps in singleplayer but will let you know in case I find more bugs.

I continued my playthrough with maps 16, 17, 20, 21 and 22 and found some more bugs:

map17:
Spectre (thing 285) and mancubus (thing 277) near yellow key are stuck into each other in non-ZDoom ports.

map20:
Might be the way I played but I found the first half of the map severely lacking ammo and I had to punch a few cacos and revenants to progress. Then after finding BFG and plasma gun soon after I had abundance of ammo for the rest of the map.

Lines 4521-4527 that form a fence are not blocking and therefore allow the player to jump on the platform with spider mastermind sooner than intended, I suppose.

map21:
Some missing textures on stairs form a big HOM. This doesn't occur in ZDoom but is present in all other source ports I tried, including GZDoom.

Two hanging corpses (things 49 and 51) block the player from above if infinitely tall actors are used.

map22:
Some misaligned textures. I actually didn't pay much attention to misaligned textures in my playthrough so there might be some in previous levels that I missed.

map23:
Didn't go through this map yet but the very first door closes and there's no way to open it again which means once a player enters the room the rest of the players are stuck at start.