Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AD_79

50 Monsters - on idgames!

Ugh, is inserting this palette in megawads some new trend? First everyone used the one from Simplicity and now this, dunno where it even comes from, 32in24? Oh well, I assume deleting it won't result in any glitches.

Memfis said:

Ugh, is inserting this palette in megawads some new trend? First everyone used the one from Simplicity and now this, dunno where it even comes from, 32in24? Oh well, I assume deleting it won't result in any glitches.

Yes, it's the 32in24 palette (also used in Resurgence, don't know where else though), and personally, I think it looks really good.

This is a cool set of maps, I like how it has echos of the iwads in the designs. I recorded a continuous playthrough:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c0enu7yqydcm52a/50mon-mouldy.lmp
died a lot on the first map due to playing stupidly, the rest went pretty well. The last map I got to I just gave up on, its the one where the archviles appear. I was finding that map too annoying to play without saves, hit by random rev missiles from the other side of the map and then dealing with the archviles was a total pain in the arse. Finally getting dumped into a room full of everything and having no SSG or plasma ammo was kind of shit. Guess there might be a tactic I was missing, but I get bored and sloppy playing the same map over and over so i'll use saves next time.

Memfis said:

I made it for a 32in24 CTF pack a few years ago, to fix Doom's incomplete red ramp and to make a similar-but-different blue ramp that would be more usable for structural textures (because CTF). The blues could be replaced with the standard ones I guess, but if AD is taking advantage of the fixed red ramp, you're going to get glitches taking that out.

Is deleting intentional parts of new wads some new trend?

Memfis said:

Every once and a while I forget just why Memfis is my favorite poster, then he finds some new way to ascend beyond his previous zenith, transcending what I though was the limits of Doom hispterdom and shit posting. It's these moments that really remind me of why I am so glad for the Memfian presence in the Doom community. Never plateau Memfis, never plateau.

Maybe it's just that... "голубой" (light blue) is slang for "gay" in rus, so when I see that palette used in wads I feel like I discovered something new about the author... dunno, never liked it.

gay palettes and gay midi. what a world we live in.

I think "distractingly non doom-like" is a much better descriptor.

Memfis said:

"голубой" (light blue) is slang for "gay" in rus, so when I see that palette used in wads I feel like I discovered something new about the author

Dig up Memfis, not down.

Looking forward to the full mapset!

Also AD_79, you have unaltered Doom and Doom 2 sprite assets (1,368 entries!) in your WAD, you might want to remove those for the sake of a smaller download and mod compatibility. Removing them drops the file size from 9MB to 5MB in the 10 level mapset.

Memfis said:

Maybe it's just that... "голубой" (light blue) is slang for "gay" in rus, so when I see that palette used in wads I feel like I discovered something new about the author... dunno, never liked it.

Very rare does Memfis out memfis himself in the very next post. A Christmas miracle.

Nice mapset, though like others have mentioned, rather easy one on UV. I had only one close call in Map08, when two hellknights cornered me in the lift trap. Apart from that, my health dropped below 50 only rarely, always due to various chaingunner surprises (though I probably wouldn't have fared so good if I played from pistol starts). Ammo is plentiful, I didn't have to use melee weapons at all after Map01. In any case, I hope you will turn it into a full megawad sooner or later.

Ribbiks said:

gay palettes and gay midi. what a world we live in.

Personally, I found the music fitting. Sure, it is no Unholy Realms soundtrack, but they were inspiring for the gameplay.

Glaice said:

Also AD_79, you have unaltered Doom and Doom 2 sprite assets (1,368 entries!) in your WAD, you might want to remove those for the sake of a smaller download and mod compatibility. Removing them drops the file size from 9MB to 5MB in the 10 level mapset.

IIRC I was having issues with the sprites in vanilla/chocolate after adding custom sprites to the wad (I know the E1 release doesn't actually use any custom things and I should have taken them out but whatever). Turns out I didn't know the -merge parameter didn't exist in Chocolate Doom, but actual vanilla doesn't have that, does it?

It's not like 9MB is that big these days, heh.

Caleb13 said:

Nice mapset, though like others have mentioned, rather easy one on UV. I had only one close call in Map08, when two hellknights cornered me in the lift trap. Apart from that, my health dropped below 50 only rarely, always due to various chaingunner surprises (though I probably wouldn't have fared so good if I played from pistol starts). Ammo is plentiful, I didn't have to use melee weapons at all after Map01. In any case, I hope you will turn it into a full megawad sooner or later.

Yeah, E1 is somewhat too easy for my tastes now and I'm looking to spice it up a little bit in the final release. E2 and E3 should also be a lot more nasty than E1.

Personally, I found the music fitting. Sure, it is no Unholy Realms soundtrack, but they were inspiring for the gameplay.

The gay doesn't start until MAP11 ;)

mouldy said:

This is a cool set of maps, I like how it has echos of the iwads in the designs. I recorded a continuous playthrough:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/c0enu7yqydcm52a/50mon-mouldy.lmp
died a lot on the first map due to playing stupidly, the rest went pretty well. The last map I got to I just gave up on, its the one where the archviles appear. I was finding that map too annoying to play without saves, hit by random rev missiles from the other side of the map and then dealing with the archviles was a total pain in the arse. Finally getting dumped into a room full of everything and having no SSG or plasma ammo was kind of shit. Guess there might be a tactic I was missing, but I get bored and sloppy playing the same map over and over so i'll use saves next time.

I haven't watched this yet but I'll look into rebalancing MAP10 a bit, suppose I could give the player a bit more ammo before the final fight and in some other places (I feel like scattering a few more rockets and things throughout the whole episode, really). Glad you like it for the most part though.

AD_79 said:

IIRC I was having issues with the sprites in vanilla/chocolate after adding custom sprites to the wad (I know the E1 release doesn't actually use any custom things and I should have taken them out but whatever). Turns out I didn't know the -merge parameter didn't exist in Chocolate Doom, but actual vanilla doesn't have that, does it?

It's not like 9MB is that big these days, heh.

If the player wanted to play the wad in vanilla .exe, he should use DEUSF.exe to automatically add the non-replaced stock sprites to the wad - that's how this always worked. Alternatively, you can change sprite names via DEHACKED to custom ones and put sprites with these names to your wad, then you won't have any trouble with overlapping sprite names and vanilla won't complain if you run the wad along with the DEHACKED. I would personally prefer these solutions that make reincluding all IWAD sprites unnecessary.

In Map 3 you can jump through this gap without going through the red door, but you become stuck here if you do as there are bars you can't open from this side. The exit is here, so it's not like you can't complete the level, but maybe make the bars openable from this side? (Misplaced this on the Map 4 comment)

In Map 4 the secret becomes inaccessible if you've hit the switch that lowers the bridge.

I don't know how I got through the last map without dying as I was down to single digit health on 3 occasions, including at the Hell Knight + 3 Revenant + former humans ambush! Map 10 was probably my least favourite only because being sniped from far away by homing Revenant rockets is something I don't find particularly fun. The only noticeable ammo shortage (apart from before getting the SSG and having to use tons of Shells) was on Map 10 at the Plasma Gun. Considering an AV appears right after, there didn't really seem to be enough ammo to make it that useful. Indeed I had to retreat to the lift and SSG snipe it and the resurrected monsters.

Overall a thoroughly good first 10 maps. I eagerly await the next part of this WAD!

degree23 said:

In Map 3 you can jump through this gap without going through the red door, but you become stuck here if you do as there are bars you can't open from this side.

In Map 4 the secret becomes inaccessible if you've hit the switch that lowers the bridge. The exit is here, so it's not like you can't complete the level, but maybe make the bars openable from this side?

I don't know how I got through the last map without dying as I was down to single digit health on 3 occasions, including at the Hell Knight + 3 Revenant + former humans ambush! Map 10 was probably my least favourite only because being sniped from far away by homing Revenant rockets is something I don't find particularly fun. The only noticeable ammo shortage (apart from before getting the SSG and having to use tons of Shells) was on Map 10 at the Plasma Gun. Considering an AV appears right after, there didn't really seem to be enough ammo to make it that useful. Indeed I had to retreat to the lift and SSG snipe it and the resurrected monsters.

That MAP03 jump is like the only intended shortcut I put in, I suppose I could make the bars open while you're in the exit area if they're not already open. Then again, why bother, I'm (most likely) replacing MAP02 and MAP03 because they're old and bad. MAP04 is being edited right now, actually (to make it less shit in general). MAP10 could use some more plasma and better balance in general, I agree. It was originally a speedmap and I didn't really modify it much from when I first made it.

scifista42 said:

If the player wanted to play the wad in vanilla .exe, he should use DEUSF.exe to automatically add the non-replaced stock sprites to the wad - that's how this always worked. Alternatively, you can change sprite names via DEHACKED to custom ones and put sprites with these names to your wad, then you won't have any trouble with overlapping sprite names and vanilla won't complain if you run the wad along with the DEHACKED. I would personally prefer these solutions that make reincluding all IWAD sprites unnecessary.

Huh, didn't know about either of these things. I'll make sure to strip out the unnecessary stuff for the full wad.

AD_79 said:

I haven't watched this yet but I'll look into rebalancing MAP10 a bit, suppose I could give the player a bit more ammo before the final fight and in some other places (I feel like scattering a few more rockets and things throughout the whole episode, really). Glad you like it for the most part though.

It might just be that the difficulty spike on that map caught me off guard after the relative ease of the previous maps, so if you are planning to spice up the other maps anyway that might be enough. But a SSG would have been nice ;)

Only vanilla faithful ports have that issue, the rest do not as most players use ZDoom (or derivative), PrBoom or Eternity on these boards. :p

Any every megabyte does count especially if you're on a capped plan (IE Oceania region tend to have this)

Okay, I'll bite.

There is no PLAYPAL or COLORMAP in this wad, and none referenced in the OP as an additional requirment. I just downloaded it again; same file date, 1/31/15. I've read back through the whole thread. No mention of palette until Memfis said he didn't like it. I've played Resurgence, so I recognize the palette you're talking about and the changes it makes - but it's not here. What are you all seeing that I'm not? Did I miss a secret meeting or something?

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Okay, I'll bite.

There is no PLAYPAL or COLORMAP in this wad, and none referenced in the OP as an additional requirment. I just downloaded it again; same file date, 1/31/15. I've read back through the whole thread. No mention of palette until Memfis said he didn't like it. I've played Resurgence, so I recognize the palette you're talking about and the changes it makes - but it's not here. What are you all seeing that I'm not? Did I miss a secret meeting or something?

Umm, I literally added the PLAYPAL and the COLORMAP like 5 days ago to the current work-in-progress version of the full wad. So no, it's not in the E1 release because I haven't touched that since I uploaded it.

So people (I assume playtesters) are arguing about something which hasn't been released, and which, for all anyone knows, may be released with the BTSX palette, or the UDMX palette, or maybe no special palette at all. A perk of being in the Honors Classes, I guess. I just think it's a fun play, regardless. Looking forward to the full release.

AD_79 said:

I just realized I don't have playtesters :o

Hi, I heard you need a playtester.
I'm also handy with DeHackEd if you need map names or bosses and the like.

Obsidian said:

Hi, I heard you need a playtester.
I'm also handy with DeHackEd if you need map names or bosses and the like.

Sure, I'll send a PM with the details later today.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

So people (I assume playtesters) are arguing about something which hasn't been released, and which, for all anyone knows, may be released with the BTSX palette, or the UDMX palette, or maybe no special palette at all. A perk of being in the Honors Classes, I guess. I just think it's a fun play, regardless. Looking forward to the full release.

We're talking about the palette in these screenshots.

Now I understand. Yeah, I saw those screenshots originally, but forgot about them. See, to me they looked normal. I basically use the Simplicity palette in my default setup (and after this, I think I'll add the 32in24ctf Red range to it; it does look better).

In looking at those shots again, I'm amazed anyone could identify the palette from basically the Blue Skull Key, The light blue lite, and the blue ceiling. In comparing those shots to Slade3 palettes, it looks to me like it could be 32in24ctf, Simplicity, ZDCMP2, or even Urban Brawl. You guys are too good.

I didn't mean to start something. I was just afraid the file had been updated and I couldn't find it. But now I'll add the proper palette and colormap to my copy and play the first two maps again.

Just bumping the thread to say this: If everything goes according to plan, this should be out in exactly three months!

Also, have a screenshot of a map Breezeep made for me a little while ago (don't remember if it's been shown before) to replace one of the old and crappy E1 maps: