Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BlueEagle

UNLOVED turns into a real game

He didn't exactly make an effort to post updates here, so I forgot all about the game. Seems he never did add in the HUB system from the original, did he? See, that was something that made the original so special, it felt like you were exploring the depths of a cohesive world as opposed to just some levels. I recall him saying he was focusing on specific setpieces being rearranged in relation to each other more so than just random rooms, but I'm not too certain how successful that has been.

I think he's only posting updates on Steam now.

The game's kind of like The Binding of Isaac in first-person, except you play a single level at the time (but the levels take longer to finish than those in Isaac). There's no campaign or hub levels, it's more focused on making your character more powerful by finding better items. The story of sorts is being told through cryptic notes available in the menu. Throughout the levels you collect Photos that you use for unlocking lines in said notes. The character upgrade system allows different playstyles, for instance you might focus on speed as opposed to armor or damage.

Trinkets:

Memories:

The levels work like this: there are a number of hand-made pieces that the level generator uses to create each level. Small levels have 7 pieces so the game takes 7 random chunks from its box (rooms can repeat) and arranges them randomly (actually 5 because the elevator room and gold room are always the same). Levels consist of 4 areas: green (starting room), grey (can be accessed at any time), red (require a red key located in one of the grey areas), blue (require a blue key located in one of the red areas) and yellow (require a gold key located in one of the blue areas). In the yellow room(s) there are Blood Machines that you have to fill. Once you do that, you have to make your way back to the starting elevator and escape.

Note the color-coded pieces of the level on the minimap:

Trinket Manager:

It is different from the mod indeed. I fully understand that this might be turning some people off because that was my initial reaction too. But I have to say I find this game very addictive and the gunplay is really fun. It actually is a decent shooter which is surprising considering it's just a low-budget indie game (it feels miles better than STRAFE for instance). Personally I'm glad I gave it a go but it's up to you.

I'm late to the party but as a huge fan of the original GZDoom mod's levels, atmosphere, music, and story, which was extremely dark IMO and could be interpreted in a number of ways, I really hope this lives up to it somehow. I avoid early access titles, but I'm very impressed this is all on his own.

That silenced mini UZI looks out of place though.

Ok just one more thing. Someone from the community posted this video and it's worth watching if you want to see a little bit of the game. Most videos on YT are basically either people destroying levels on the highest difficulty or newcomers not knowing what to do. This one is probably the first where you can get a decent idea of what the game is.

Hey everyone,

I have just found out about UNLOVED. I wanted to know if the commercial release is worth checking out, now that it has been eight years, or if I am better off sticking to the original Doom mod.

Looks great !! Well done ! I was hoping you’d keep the HUB system from the original, but oh well, no biggie in my books… i too loved me some “Unloved”