Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Malinku

unnamed map (Beta #1 Out)

So I've been working on this map off and on for 4 year or so now.
Making this thread to motivate myself to finally finish it off.

I got the layout done for the most part. Just need to get all the switches, lift, and doors working. I got and idea of what most of them are doing I just need to get them in a location where it is not too hard to figure out what they do and where to go next.

The Texture theme is black and white stone/concrete. Detailing is nearly done as well just a few area to liven up.

The only tough work left is in monster and item placement. I hardly have much of this done just the first few areas done. This is always what takes me the longest.

Once I get the layout able to run through without noclip on I will need a few testers to run through the map with out monsters. To check general flow of the map.

If anyone if up for making a custom midi for this map that would be awesome.

Shot of current layout:

In Game shots:

*Title of the map is a work in progress*

Beta #1:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8jnm7etU67uX181ZFRKNG9qaVU/

From what I can tell from the DB screen, it looks like my cup of tea - big and interconnected. I really like the colour scheme in that last shot - the pale green works very nicely with the light and dark grey.

No portal surfaces in that second shot, I see. :P I'll give this a spin, looks pretty neat.

Finally getting around to placing monsters in this map. In need of playtester input for what I did so far.

If anyone is interested in giving it a go just post here.

Here is a shot to show that there really is progress:

First public release of the map. Ammo and health are not completed so when playing through cheat with ammo and health after getting the yellow key.
Layout is complete and fully work. Monster placement is nearly final (might have a few spawn in once you use the switches in the main outdoor section).

Beta #1:

Cheers! Will try that.

Edit 1: Is it for tnt.wad or something? Have you used custom textures? There are missing textures already in the starting area.

Chris Hansen said:

Cheers! Will try that.

Edit 1: Is it for tnt.wad or something? Have you used custom textures? There are missing textures already in the starting area.

Standard Doom2 map (Boom compat.) with custom textures.

Edit: Don't think I compiled the textures in the wad yet will reupload it shortly with that fixed.

But... What about these missing unknown textures in the start room?

PrBoom-plus:

ZDoom:

Both images show that there is a missing an unknown texture.

I can give some feedback from a few quick runs.

Stuff I like:

-The interconnectedness of the level is pretty cool.

-Those snazzy dark grey cement textures are awesome (though I'm not entirely sold on their usage, see below).

-Nice progression! It was fun to blow through at a quick pace. I really like that the purpose of switches is immediately evident for the most part, as well. I tend to get lost in maps of this sort, but I didn't have much of a problem finding my way around on the first try, kudos!

Stuff I don't like:

-Mostly just one thing, but it encompasses the entire map: The monotony of the all-grey, all-orthogonal architecture. I found the entire level to have a rather sterile, empty, lifeless feeling. Perhaps that is your intent, and I think your chosen texture theme could work great for such an aesthetic, but I'm not really a fan of how it looks in this particular instance. Everything being all grey and square makes it look more like unfinished architecture and placeholder texturing, to my eyes. Rooms where every surface seems to be made from the same material and color, like this shot, are the biggest offenders. Especially when playing on low resolutions, the environment tends to look really dull and washed out when the walls, ceilings, and floors, are so visually indistinct.

The areas with the pale green accent floors that durian mentioned above are a step in the right direction, IMO. The areas where lights and computer panels break up the visual monotony are better as well. I think some stronger lighting contrast could also help offset the visual flatness.

Such a limited texture scheme applied to the entire level also makes it hard for me to retain a sense of place while playing. The only times I got lost were because I couldn't get a sense of which parts of the map connect and lead into each other, as a result of everything looking the same everywhere. I'd love to see different parts of the map actually textured to look like separate structures; i.e. have a different texture scheme or architectural style for the building on the opposite side of the big open courtyard.

That said, it's your map, make it look how you like. If you think it looks great as is, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Other thoughts:

-Is there a purpose to the extra yellow key later in the map? I assume it's maybe forgotten or a placeholder?

-The arch-vile ambush in the small green courtyard after looping back to the first building felt like kind of a cheap shot compared to the rest of the combat in the level. A bit of limited cover might make sense in there, so long as the monsters can flush you out of it if you stay there. As it is, it's still feasible to distract the archvile with infighting long enough to get away or kill it, but still.

-It's hard to discuss gameplay balance when the item placement is incomplete, but I found it very satisfying to use the rocket launcher as a primary weapon in this map. I hope you add lots of rockets, and maybe boost the monster density slightly in the more open areas to encourage its use.

Does it have to be ALL right angles? :/ I understand that is the theme: gray and square, but a couple uses of curved architecture would highlight certain hub areas and make them memorable compared to the side rooms.

Mithran Denizen said:

...Mostly just one thing, but it encompasses the entire map: The monotony of the all-grey, all-orthogonal architecture. I found the entire level to have a rather sterile, empty, lifeless feeling. Perhaps that is your intent, and I think your chosen texture theme could work great for such an aesthetic, but I'm not really a fan of how it looks in this particular instance. Everything being all grey and square makes it look more like unfinished architecture and placeholder texturing, to my eyes.

...I think some stronger lighting contrast could also help offset the visual flatness.

...Such a limited texture scheme applied to the entire level also makes it hard for me to retain a sense of place while playing.

Quoted for truth! I could not have said that better myself.

There's a really strong sense of style in this map and it's obvious that you know your way around DoomBuilder or whatever you're using. But this strong visual impact comes at a price where the map becomes really sterile and quite frankly, leaves me a bit numb.

As Mithran said, more variety in ligthing, more effects and surprise overall. More decoration both in terms of items or structural detail. Or in short: Find a way to make this cold bathroom into a cozy living room! Filled with death and torment of course! ;)

I found the level quite good.
The visuals are quite nice and clean. They work well the way they are, but a little variation could work really well (like the green texture outside). Also, a different sky, IMO, would help a lot to improve the atmosphere. The environments were easily recognizable and I never felt lost though, so IDK if that's really necessary.

Progression was mostly linear, but the layout + battle settings were quite interesting, allied with scarce ammunition and health, which forced the player to be a lot careful (some health towards the later sections would help a lot though haha, I died a lot in these because I was with 1% health). Also, about the layout, the interconnections worked really well, making you feel less trapped in the linearity.

That was a long vacation. Anyways I think it is about time to get more work done on this map.

Detail in this map is still a work in progress. Yeah the two tone texture scheme I chose can get very drab and boring. So it needs a lot of work in spots.

Layout is 90% done just want to change the two upper outdoor areas. I got a plan for them just need to add it in

Gameplay is unfinished and will be worked on.

And if anyone wants to give more feedback based on beta #1 feel free. links is still working

Given the dramatic event which took Malinku away from us, this map is never going to be finished by its author.

I want to suggest, as a tribute, a small community project: let's complete this map.

Gez said:

Given the dramatic event which took Malinku away from us, this map is never going to be finished by its author.

I want to suggest, as a tribute, a small community project: let's complete this map.

Completing this map and making several similarly designed maps in a collaboration sounds like fun.

I mean, I could do monster layout probably and prop placement. But that's about all I might be able to do decently.

Glaice said:

Completing this map and making several similarly designed maps in a collaboration sounds like fun.

I'd like to see something like that come up.