Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gaspe

The Legacy of Heroes - on idgames

I have to say that I'm really enjoying this so far. Like I mentioned before, I really like vanilla or Boom maps with different texture sets. I think you've made a really good choice here and I even like that you've chosen to use Eternal monster sounds. The maps have a really good sense of being somewhere else and I love the environments.

Keep up the good work... You're doing a great job. :)

Many thanks @Average :)

Updated MAP05 with a few small enhancements!

Map 06 is out! Though I'm not quite sure about the music.
Also: updated Map 04 and specially Map 05 with some changes on the balance.

Packed the maps together. All the maps have got some small updates and fixes, and the works on Map 07 have already begun!

A small update: Redone from scratch the final area of Map 04. And changed a bit the main hall of the big tower in Map 05, I'm still not too sure about some things on the balance in this map but I will for other feedback before making more changes.
Map names will be probably added at the release of the next map!

Both of these towers in map05 have bleeding midtextures, fix by changing brightness on one side by at least 1 unit.

Marcaek said:

Both of these towers in map05 have bleeding midtextures, fix by changing brightness on one side by at least 1 unit.

Many thanks for this! It solved the same issue I had in other places too, I didn't know how to solve it.

Updated the alpha: fixed some bugs and misalignments, touched-up some parts.

Yes this is still alive! First version of MAP08 added to the alpha, also the other maps got some small updates. The new map it's still a bit bare or empty in some places but the gameplay is done. If you want to make a fda I warn you that the map is pretty big and it will take you a while to complete it.

MAP09 is released! There are some puzzles in this level, which are required to progress. Also there were some other changes as well:
-Added proper credits to all the additional stuff that was used (sorry if it hasn't been done before!).
-Almost all the maps got a visual overhaul in some parts, and the first fight of MAP03 and the last one of MAP05 was slightly changed.
-Added the names that were decided so far to their levels.
-Put a custom titlepic, but it will probaby be change or at least improved to look a bit better.

MAP07 is done and added to wad, and there's only one map left! As usual some things were fixed in the other maps. I'm still in time to finish this in this year... hopefully :^)

Hello everyone! This is finally ready for an upcoming release on /idgames!
MAP10, the last one, is done, plus I made a very small bonus map to give also a more proper ending to the wad. MAP10 has a boss battle with a custom dehacked monster, after some testings I think that it's balanced well enough but I'll gladly hear what do you think about the boss fight.
The textures used are all included in the wad now, so you no longer need to load RETRES to play it.
Coop starts were already present but I added also few monsters and items for coop play. Though I don't know so much about it and the experience won't probably be an optimal one, but I hope it will be at least reasonable enough.
I'll wait some days before upload this to idgames. There shouldn't be game-breaking stuff or other major issues, but if you find one or anyway you have some suggestions or thoughts feel free to post them.
Have a good one :)

This is now on idgames, the link is in the op. As last things a missing texture that was wrongly deleted while merging the resources was fixed, and the titlepic should be a bit better now.

Just grabbed this earlier today using the link to /idgames in the OP, I'm two maps in and having a lot of fun with these levels.

One thing I want to point out is a missing texture in MAP02 here:

Having popped it open in Doom Builder these lines are meant to use the texture SLADRIP1, but I couldn't find that texture (or its other animation frames) in either legher.wad or doom2.wad - I believe this is a texture from the original Doom that somehow didn't get included in legher.wad?

Thanks for reporting it! Those textures were actually included in The Return, I guess I deleted them because I thought they were already included in Doom 2 and so they weren't necessary. It will sure be fixed in a future update.

A really fine set. I played through on continuous using zdoom. Only feedback I can offer is that MAP03, 04, 07 seem a tad under-lit. For me, the general dimness doesn't add to the atmosphere and takes away from highlighting the architecture. Sometimes the goal is realism, with windows casting light, and shadows falling pretty severely outside of those areas.

The work on the lightning is a bit inconsistent, and I think that overall I started to handle it better during the late development of the wad, and most of the maps were already done. I'll take that in consideration for my future works.
Anyway in the next few days I'll update the wad to fix that missing texture.

So I'm stuck on map 7.

I'm in the room with the flames blocking the way and the Mancs shooting at me from each corner. I killed them but nothing happens, leaving me stuck in that room. Is there a hidden switch I'm missing?

This is on GZDoom 2.2.0 with Boom (Strict) compatibility, by the way.

When you kill all the mancs there the flames should lower so you can access to the other areas and progress. It's really odd because I tried the map many times with GZDoom and it always worked, now not... I don't really know why it's happening since I changed nothing in the involved areas. I'll tweak that part so it will work also for ZDoom.

Allright, I discovered that MAP07 bug it's caused by mapinfo that requires you to write that the map uses the special tags of MAP07 slot......
Anyway the updated wad with this bug and the missing texture fixed should be on idgames very soon, hopefully that it won't take too many retries to upload the whole file on the archive...

Just finished MAP07. Very nice. Kind of a Hexen/Doom combo world. Good atmosphere. GREAT music. Wonderful detailing. Couple things I noticed.

I got to the exit of MAP06 and then went secret-hunting. After a while, I took the teleport back to the Cyber fight area at the beginning. I found 4 Imps waiting for me. No idea where they came from or why they didn't show up earlier for the Cyber fight.

MAP07 exit room. Is that supposed to be water coming out of the Medusa faces? Or ice? I ask because there was one Medusa face half-covered by rock with nothing coming out of its mouth. If it was supposed to be animated, it wasn't.

I will say I loathe tightly timed puzzles that are absolutely necessary to continue the map and get a Key. And then to put a secret inside the puzzle so you have to do it again? Very frustrating. Eventually, I just clipped past it. The only thing I hate as much are perfectly hidden switches with no hints. Oh, wait. There's some of those in this wad, too.

I found that secret in an editor afterwards. Which is where I found that the texture MARBDK01 is in there twice and you have two different sprites named SSWVO0. Both sprites seem necessary. If you need to make them fit, you could probably delete the second to last death frame SSWVU0 without hurting the animation.

I'll probably finish this tonight. Really fun. Mostly.

Edit: A bunch of monsters never teleported in on MAP08. Linedef tag 85 is set as LowerFloorToNearestFloor, but the sectors in the closets are set up as doors with floor/ceiling height set at lowest floor already.

Many thanks for finding those duplicates and that problem in MAP08, fixes for those will come in the update as well.

Those imps on MAP06 teleport in the playable area when you go to grab the shotgun near the red key door.
MAP07 exit is supposed to be like that, the blue stuff was choosen mainly to recall the color of the timegate and of MAP06 coral, and the solid stuff that comes out from the Medusa faces isn't identified. I wanted to create something that was also a bit surreal there.

Man this looks so cool! How did I miss this? MAP08 in particular is gorgeous. Sad I can't get around to it any time soon but I'm really curious what your mapping style is like

Looking forward to hear what do you guys think when you'll get to play this!
The wad file on idgames has been updated with fixes for the (hopefully last) bugs, and thanks again for reporting those.

No, this wad is for Doom 2. The closest thing you can do would be to play it with a medieval/fantasy themed mod I guess.