Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MD922

MCD Makes His First Map

Not bad for a start. Playing in prboom-plus with -complevel 9 I spotted the following problems:

- the mancubus is stuck
- keyed switches don't require the keys
- red door has a non-sky ceiling, looks bad
- sector 36 has a non-sky ceiling at the same height as the surrounding sky, also looks bad
- the exit pad doesn't look nice, you could give it a teleporter flat perhaps
- bridge to the exit needs textures on its sides

Hope this helps. I suppose even if you fix the switches, it should be possible to jump over that pit with a thing-wobble. Which is cool.

I tried my best to fix everything you all said, so I hope it's better now :)
I also cannot find where the other secret is; I think I marked a random extra sector as a secret, so you can only exit the map with 100% kills but 50% secrets.

Edit: 100% secrets is doable :)

If anyone can find my one intentional trick, I'll give you a cookie*.

*sorry I don't actually have a cookie for you

MD922 said:

Also, uses an AD_79 MIDI, also not sure if he ever released it publicly having to say I don't think it's done D:

I did release it publicly in the Nova II thread, so I'm fine with you using it :P

MD922 said:

This map is probably as bad as some Joe-Ilya map

Not really. Keep trying.
My main gripe with this map is that it feels like you did not allow yourself to use much space. It feels cramped as hell.

xnv said:

My main gripe with this map is that it feels like you did not allow yourself to use much space. It feels cramped as hell.

Well it is a 1024 map, heh.

FDA. Good enough for a first map. Problems and glitches were already reported. The layout consists of basic rectangles, and texturing tends to be monochromatic - both of these traits make dull and unprofessional looking maps, and I advise you to try to avoid them in the future (and work on proper texture alignment as well). I despise inescapable pits out of principle, and the computer window next to the lava pit looked like it could have been exploited as a thin ledge, it was somewhat nasty. Make sure to fix the double secret too, IMO each secretly-accessed place with goodies deserves exactly 1 secret sector (in your map, it means 1 in total).

FDA of this map, nice try for a first map, found some problems you can see in the demo

Spoiler

like the sky ceiling in the door back you at the start and the lack of texture on the other side of that door

and i think that making the red key barricade + openable door just a door activated from the red key switch or maybe add a teleport closet that unleash monsters when the floor collapse...