Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fKd

Tech themed wad in progress.

Hows it going? First post here so i thought i'd start with a map! Been working on this lil map for few days... Got most of it working. Its for Brutal DooM ][ map02.

Been having heaps of fun as usually i map for Q3 so its been refreshing learning a new editor and mapping for SP. Also changes are a hell of a lot faster so iteration time is way lower. Loving it!

So here goes. This is a SP map. I've not done the MP parts yet, although i have made a bunch of connections just for mp, right now they don't make much sense on the SP side of things. You'll know it when ya see it. There is a Plasma gun in there. :)

This is a Tech themed map using the classic Doom2.wad assets.. I've a feeling it might be a bit long?? Also the lighting sucks. I need to check out some newer maps. Any suggestions? I've only really played the originals.. a lot! heh.

Feedback would be great. Still got lots of stuff to do and learn in GZDB.

*old link removed*

So yeah, enjoy. And thanks for your time.

Sounds cool bro, I'd love to test it for you. I'm busy with other projects right now (finishing touches on MAP01 of For Love of Evil for this update and map for Job for Father's Day) but I should have time tomorrow night/morning to give it a go. I'll let you know what I think :D

Well now, That was fun. Might be a bit corridor-ish, but it never felt cramped. Liked the combat and just the how every part of the map felt unique while still remaining consistent with the theme. Looks like you forgot to put a texture on an upper wall in the crate maze, though. You know, the thing the blue armor is in.

For a first map it's great.

Thanks Jaxx, yeah there is something weird going on there, its fine in editor, but i've seen the issue before and thought i was tied to using the the wrong linedef.. hmm.

Not bad, not great either. A lot of places were overcrowded with enemies, which is inefficient placement in terms of challenge - they either kill each other during infighting, or end up taking tediously long time to kill (specially those with relatively high HP to low threat ratio, like Pinkies and Barons). The nukage floors (as they were placed and sketched out) made me think that they should be damaging, and it felt odd that they weren't. I liked weapon progression and how there were multiple paths to explore. Still, mandatory path itself was rather straightforward - I mean that to beat the map, you must always go through the same places along a mandatory path, the opposite of which is called non-linearity (multiple paths interconnecting rooms and leading to exit), which I personally prefer to see. Lighting was well done in some areas, but heavily underdone (monochromatic) in a lot of other areas (for example the start) - visibly using light variation within 1 area makes it nicer and more interesting. Detailing was also somewhat inconsistent, but generally OK up to nice. That's how I see it. I've played the map without Brutal Doom, though, because I'm not into it.

Suggestions for wads? Start here - Cacowards honor the best 10 wads made in each year since 2004, plus it mentions runners-up and additional awards / interesting wads. For the most recent 2015 mapping gems, check out Valiant and Sunlust (both incredibly quality).

Thanks Sci, oops i forgot to tag a few sectors with nukage. All that had to be redone when i converted to UDMF format, along with all the tags, linedefs etc etc etc. Good times :)

There is a lot to be desired with the lighting that's for sure. Only a few days in so its really lacking. Same with detailing, as i go i've been improving and going back over sections and reworking em.

Monster density really is because of brutal doom.

Cool, thanks for the links. I'll give em a go!

Nice map!

I don't have Brutal Doom, but I was curious to see the map, so I fired it up in gzdoom instead and I wasn't disappointed! Here's what I thought of it and a couple of things I noticed:

- Good consistent theme throughout the pwad!
- Fresh use of textures here and there.
- Nicely done lighting with some really good examples of it.
- Lots of bullets... but no chaingun until very late on? (probably due to me not using BD)
- Lots of hitscanners, always able to find cover = good!
- I'm not a very good player, but it felt a little easy on HMP.
- Played on HMP and was a little low on shells many times. Didn't use the SSG until much later after I picked it up.
- The same applies for the RL.
- Nukage on floors didn't do damage in many places.

It's clear to see that you've made maps for games before. You just need to tune in a bit more to Doom and you could really deliver some high quality stuff for us in the future :)

I'll admit I was only interested to see what a Quake 3 mapper can bring to Doom. As it turns out, quite a bit. The aesthetic is nice to look at and consistent throughout, the challenge is good but not overwhelming and the layout is great for exploring. I did notice however that you had a couple of misaligned textures next to what I assume was some kind of computer up a lift. Where you lowered the ceiling on either side, the texture was lowered too. It also niggled at my brain that your lift delays are far too long and break up the pacing a bit too much. You also forgot to make slime floors damaging.

A collection of fixes have been addressed and the wad updated just now. Much work to do. Thanks all for the great feedback!

Slime now hurts.

Fixed weird ceiling issue with the blue armor

Reduced and varied up the monsters

More shotgun ammo

Started playing with dynamic lights

More detail.

Reduced delay on all lifts to 2 seconds

Heaps to go.

Also, HOLY SHIT ally Dog! haha awesome!

I played this map with v20 of Brutal Doom. Hurt me plenty!

I like the dog! You get dropped straight into the action on this map so it's good to have some friendly company at first. Although I think mine got killed by that Archvile. Poor mutt!

When I loaded the wad I intended to keep an eye out for things aesthetics-wise, but when I got to the actual map I kind of forgot about that because I started having fun. I did think that the architecture looked less abstract and a bit more "natural" than typical techbases do. I'm not too familiar with Quake 3, but at a couple of points I did kind of get a Quake 2 kind of vibe from the map layout and design, but I could be misremembering Q2.

It's not too long a map. If anything it feels a little short. I might try this on a higher difficulty level, because I managed to complete this without dying. Mind you, there's something quite satisfying about playing a map for the first time and completing it without dying. But I think the number of challenging bits is about right for the length of this map. What? There was a double shottie to be found as well? Damn. I didn't find it!

Nothing stood out in terms of ugliness or glitches, this map feels like a solid job well done.

Fun map. Played in ZDoom since I don't have Brutal Doom installed. I assume that's what all the "missing objects" in the map are.

Also in this picture, the Red Key Door can be opened from this side, but not the back side, even though it looks like it should on the automap.

The only other thing I noticed was something weird on the console in the secret next to the exit room.

Otherwise, very enjoyable. Thanks.

Edit: Forgot. If you enter the exit room from the secret, you can't leave through the Blue Key Door.

Ahh! fixed the computer panel. The missing objects are the dynamic lights, no big deal but it will make areas very dark, im starting to think about doing all the lighting this way... will see how it works out performance wise.

New update with today's workings. Reworked a lot of areas and I've started working with more dynamic lights.

I've got to work in more variations in traps but i wanna avoid any kind of instant death scenarios. A few more connections have been added for DM but I've still not placed the start points or the weapon loadout for it so its not functional right now.

Enjoying the progress of construction but being careful as its only map2 so it should not be very hard yet.

Again, thanks all for the feedback.

I really enjoyed the map. You did a great job with your first map.
My first map was a box and two doors - one for the exit and one for the key.

I think you'll be famous for your maps later. If this is your first map, you earned yourself some nice respect. Good job, and keep it up!

Played the map, enjoyable. Thought the dog was useless. Nice aesthetics, theme stayed constant throughout. Ran out of ammo a couple of times an had to rely on chainsaw but I think that was down to bad aim. Better than my first map. Congrats

Those are the dynamic lights, you need gzdoom for this one.

Big update, I've moved it to map01 and started on map02. So far just a small courtyard for the second map, so I've thrown in a switch encase you wanna keep on going onto the next map.

A lot has been done since I started this thread. I've added more detail through out most of the map and reworked sections i was not happy with. I believe map01 is mostly done. I still don't love the slime section where the SSG is, but once i get to the end of this series of maps I'll give all the maps another go over to incorporate the design lessons I've along the way. Having a blast with DooM mapping, great fun.

Give it a go and see what you think. :)

Again, this is a GzDooM wad as I've started using dynamic lights. I might do another version for vanilla if there is any interest in that.

Great work, looks good

Just had a quick run and found an issue, got stuck in the red keycard room.

Initially got the card and then went back as the barons appeard, and then got stuck as the room closed.

The door is not triggering right, it is supposed to fire when you pick up the red key, but I've got that tied to the side doors so used a walk over linedef but it's being weird. The door is on a timer and will open on its own. I've got to set it up better...

*fixed

Ok, door now opens once all the enemies are dead in that room. Woot made my first ACS script, and it works! I keep on saying the map is nearing completion, but im a tinkerer so nothing is ever really finished. Still loads more changes have been done, and more is happening on map02 as well, though it really still in a very rough shape :)