Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mallo

Total size of /idgames archive?

I was curious, what is the total size (both in disk space and number of files) of the /idgames archive? (Or maybe even entire archives.gamers.org :P)

C:\Users\Andrew\Desktop>awk "{sum += $2 } END {print sum/1000000000}" fullsort

about 38 gigabytes.

I make it 35.1Gig, wonder what I'm missing? Adding in /idgames2, Duke3D, Wolf3D and Unreal archives bring my tally to around 41.5Gig.

GreyGhost said:

I make it 35.1Gig, wonder what I'm missing? Adding in /idgames2, Duke3D, Wolf3D and Unreal archives bring my tally to around 41.5Gig.

37.74 gigabytes (as in 10^9 bytes per) is equivalent to 35.15 gibibytes (as in 2^30 bytes per).

Linguica said:

37.74 gigabytes (as in 10^9 bytes per) is equivalent to 35.15 gibibytes (as in 2^30 bytes per).

Oh. So 35 real gigabytes, right ;)

Gibibytes is the unit used by Romero to calculate how gory his games were going to be and he had to keep it lower than the legal limit otherwise the game would be banned for being too violent. As time went on, the amount of gibibytes allowed in a game was raised as people got desensitized to it.

Memfis said:

Is there any point in using gibibytes other than to confuse people?

Well, there's the fact that it's less confusing to use a term that has only one definition, but other than that, no, it's just to confuse people.