Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

rd speedmaps (19 Boom-format maps so far)

9.wad FDA. My skill was not enough to win, but I liked the way how this map was skill-oriented. Good visuals, good music, good design, and even fun gameplay.

extremely mean one, this :D fda

damn that opening room was harsh, mostly because of that AV. I see it got removed on HMP though, so that was a good call. Those chaingunners that tele in outside are also pretty dickish, maybe provide the player a chaingun before they jump out? YSK was fine, classic slaughtery setup. I started anticipating AVs after realizing they were a dominant component of pretty much every encounter in the map, not sure if that's a good thing or not :p

I missed 1 monster (I guess it's in the secret I also missed). I also noticed that if you pacifist your way through the first room none of the monsters will tele into subsequent encounters.

cool map, as expected. love the midi btw

I like these maps and the very focused encounters. I also like how they seem to be ramping up in difficulty and nastiness.

I spent some of the afternoon recording fdas for the set in reverse order. All except 7 where I managed to cock up the command line argument and didn't end up recording anything. Not missing out on much though, I spent a lot of the time dying to active monsters at the bottom of blind drops until I managed to hobble my way to the exit leaving plenty of monsters alive.

That's a shame because I thought it was a strong map. It's right up my alley: claustrophobic spaces, tyson gameplay and a scarce few weapons that can be used strategically to take the pressure out of encounters.

The two revs by the lift were a good example of enemies where it would be preferable to take them out with the chaingun or rockets, but it's very tempting to jump down and chance a fireball to the face. The split between the mancubus and arachnotron was a really interesting encounter as well, especially the small window of opportunity to position yourself against the arachnotron before the manc arrives.

Both secrets weren't too obtuse to find and yielded pretty big rewards, no strings attached. Perhaps it would have been better if the BFG triggered a monster teleporter or something. I can imagine the map still being very much beatable, but much harder without the luxury of a BFG shot in the blue key arena.

I'm a really big fan of punching stuff in doom so this scratchd the itch. But then again I'm a bit of an outlier, I was one of the few people that really liked the beta map21 of sunlust.

Anyway, here's my FDA if you're interested.

I was going to repost it if someone ended up DL'ing it in the short time it was up, so did that.

I ended up deciding that reducing the # of revs behind the HK door from two to one was basically all I needed for it not to be "entirely frustrating" as I gave for my deletion reason (juking around the HKs becomes more practical), so I guess I'll chalk that up to my own limitations as a player. :)

"10.wad" FDA. I've died a hundred times, but I was determined to beat at least the first part which seemed genuinely beatable for me, if only I didn't make mistakes so often. I eventually succeeded to do this, but I eventually gave up after dying in the blue key trap, I knew I would never handle it without extreme luck on my side. It's a good looking map with awesome combat that enforces mobility all the time. Very well done!

Am I the only one seeing missing textures in 10.wad? BRONZEG5 and METAL_B? As for gameplay, please, I kept dying like a dog. At least that beautiful, soothing music made it a tolerable experience. And it really is a good-looking map.

Awesome! I've played all your speedmaps and the challenge is great in all of them. Just played number 10, I kept dying at the hellknight part on UV so I just pulled the difficulty down to ITYTD, maybe three hellknights instead? Or perhaps some loop to go in and hope that there won't be a baddie on the end of the other side as well? :P I can't comment on stuff past that since I was on easy mode from that point. The good thing about linearity (or maybe it's just that the maps are small) is that you know for sure where the player is going to go to meet the next section of combat, what will happen on the way there, and have your map play exactly how you want. Great job! Also where are these chill MIDIs from? :s

Thanks. Most recent midi is from Final Fantasy, and it was also used in Speed of Doom. 7th midi is from Chrono Chross (or Chrono something), used in a Memfis map. I forgot the name of the game the 8th midi is from, but I got it from Smim with the Whales. 9th is from Donkey Kong Country 3; I don't know of any other wads it was used in.

This is map 8 with a few changes -- a megasphere is thrown in at the end and the BFG ammo is backloaded, mostly as a reward for trying to take everything on in the main area.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ya68c9y32gv39v1/8d.wad

The "kill the barons quickly and run to the exit arena" strategy is nerfed quite a bit, or at least doesn't strictly dominate everything else.

I can't beat 11 even on HMP haha I've died a looot in the beginning. The architecture is really nice and music is awesome, though :)

Ribbiks said:

the 'immediately locked in room' gets a bit tiresome

In general (like: bars/doors closing behind, drop-offs into depressed areas, one-way doors/lifts, etc.), or when it's done too often in one specific way?

I like to tell the player that he'll be out of his confort zone before activating the trap itself (that way, drop offs, lifts, teleporters, doors that opens with switches in both sides are preferably options than bars that comes from nothing or doors that you open with "use" and you can't open that way in the other side)

nice compact slaughtermap. fda

died a couple times, but definitely less than I was anticipating. It turns out going pacifist is a clutch idea, waking up the monsters to tele in once you have the cybs positioned to efficiently blast the incoming hordes to smithereens.

I like the layout, plenty of nooks and crannies to avoid AV fire, yet there were sufficient visual landmarks that the tunnels were never disorienting. rather planar overall, but it fits the chaotic spammy monster placement.

Could you please combine them all into one file?

Checked 01 a while ago, FDA didn't survive. Who knows, maybe I'll force myself to record some...

The mapping is still ongoing; I'll add "so far" to the title to reflect that. I'd rather not merge it yet since I'm not sure what would make the final cut and in what order, and I'd have to sit down and sort out all the sky transfers. If I were to compile them, I think the most recent versions of #3, #6, #7, #8, #9, #11, and #12 would make it.