Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LanHikariDS said:

Disjointed? How so?

Not compact, not interconnected, not easy to get from point A to point B on the other side of the map, kind of "cryptic", and not accustomized for smooth fast fun.

Stuff like the fact you can't run down that staircase without smashing your head on every single last inverted ceiling-step which just makes it clunky as fuck to play through.

FDA

It was interesting. There were a few neat ideas in there but overall it really was a mess. I think you'd benefit from seeing how other mappers do their stuff and use that as a basis for conforming a little more closely to player expectations. Originality is great but we do things like putting red markers near red key doors for good reason.

If you can do that but still keep hold of the creativity that put the shotgunners behind the walls, that had the shooty doors in that early corridor, that set the bridge crumbling, I think you'll be able to make some really cool stuff.

scifista42 said:

Not compact, not interconnected, not easy to get from point A to point B on the other side of the map, kind of "cryptic", and not accustomized for smooth fast fun.

Well, if you were to play multiplayer on the 'Deathmatch' difficulties, a little secret I added (Well, not 'added', it was there from the beginning) is that the ritual panels also act as a teleportation system, which would allow getting around the map easier (Originally done to prevent players from breaking the bridge and hiding in the computer area without activating the blue trigger doors). And, again, the map was intended to be cryptic.

SavageCorona said:

Stuff like the fact you can't run down that staircase without smashing your head on every single last inverted ceiling-step which just makes it clunky as fuck to play through.

Fixed it in the newest update

meapineapple said:

FDA

It was interesting. There were a few neat ideas in there but overall it really was a mess. I think you'd benefit from seeing how other mappers do their stuff and use that as a basis for conforming a little more closely to player expectations. Originality is great but we do things like putting red markers near red key doors for good reason.

If you can do that but still keep hold of the creativity that put the shotgunners behind the walls, that had the shooty doors in that early corridor, that set the bridge crumbling, I think you'll be able to make some really cool stuff.

Watched it. Found it quite sad you're the only person I've seen open up the Dev Room secret, only for you to ignore it completely. Anyways, you have been very perceptive about the secrets, finding BOTH the ammo caches in the shrine, so you have my kudos there.

As far as the markers went, again, that was a personal design choice, and I didn't want Yellow/Blue key doors to get mixed up with the Yellow/Blue trigger doors

As for the shotgunners in the wall, I don't like how it creates a reflection effect in the floor, but I could use that to make future maps look nicer, as if the floor is polished

LanHikariDS said:

Watched it. Found it quite sad you're the only person I've seen open up the Dev Room secret, only for you to ignore it completely. Anyways, you have been very perceptive about the secrets, finding BOTH the ammo caches in the shrine, so you have my kudos there.

Oh, was that the door the nazi came out of in the blue room? Somehow that went right past me when I was actually playing. I was a little preoccupied with not dying. What did I do that made it open?

Not all design decisions are sound ones. You have to understand the rules before you can know when it's appropriate to bend them. You must trust me, this was not an appropriate place. You could have used another other way to indicate which switches opened which doors.

There wasn't any reflection in the floor with my port (glboom-plus) and settings. Some of them did have a few pixels sticking out of the wall, however.

Which area is the shrine?

meapineapple said:

Oh, was that the door the nazi came out of in the blue room? Somehow that went right past me when I was actually playing. I was a little preoccupied with not dying. What did I do that made it open?

Not all design decisions are sound ones. You have to understand the rules before you can know when it's appropriate to bend them. You must trust me, this was not an appropriate place. You could have used another other way to indicate which switches opened which doors.

There wasn't any reflection in the floor with my port (glboom-plus) and settings. Some of them did have a few pixels sticking out of the wall, however.

Which area is the shrine?

There is a very small (but visibly marked, if you know where to look)wall you can shoot to open the door. When using the Super Shotgun, it isn't hard to find by mistake during the firefight. (I'd do use custom graphics there, so if, when you were fighting the Cyberdemon, all you saw was a regular Keen behind it, the Dev Room won't look like it should.

I wouldn't doubt that I could have, but I chose that way, and I'll stick with it

Well, it shows up in PRBoom, ZDoom, and GZDoom. I think it also did in Vanilla, but I can't remember that right off.

The shrine is where the ammo boxes and Rocket Launchers were hiding.

EDIT: Just like Scifista, your FDA breaks with the new update... Grrrr...