Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

THT: Threnody - released!

I started making my map with stock TNT textures, then realized I didn't really end up using anything TNT-exclusive anyway. Then someone mentioned The Return.

So at this point, my map is for Doom II using retres.wad, but I can change that and retexture it if we want to compile everything and people don't unanimously dig the Eternal Doom stuff.

Gothic said:

Is this going to be a megawad, or separated maps? I see Mithran using Eternal Doom resources, while other people are using TNT textures.

I suppose the best would be, at compilation time, to sort the maps into two separate packs, one for Doom II + retres and another for TNT.

Though if there aren't texture conflicts between TNT and retres (I haven't checked) then maybe the packs could be Doom II + retres and TNT + retres.

Personally, I didn't have the patience to sit and wait for someone, perhaps Geo, to take leadership and put down in exact words what ressource etc. we are going to use. Although, I still considder Geo to be the leader of this project. Anyway, I thought, that I'd just start making a level and hope for the best.

Well we can go with what I said in the original post.

Boom
All of September: SepTyber.

Roger roger!

Might I suggest that you update the OP with this info along with a couple of general rules and the aim of the megawad? At the moment it seems like it's iddling a bit too much and a bit of information, or advertising of the project if you will, in the OP might be good if we want to get more people interested in contributing in some way or another (music, graphics, testing etc).

Updated. Could be idling since its not September yet. Some people have already started work.

geo said:

Updated. Could be idling since its not September yet. Some people have already started work.

Is it ok to use new textures, like The Return set?

I guess im going by using only the TNT wad as resource wad. so i just can go only with that or there is another prefered resource wad for this project (for example as some of you guys said The return resource wad)

I want to make a sincere effort to participate in Sep-TY-mber, but I have a favor to ask of whoever is willing to listen.

Can someone post some pictures of "trademark Ty" mapping styles or cues? I'd also settle for a list of good example wads to download. I'm going to be honest and admit it's been a while since I've played any of his stuff. :/

Eris Falling said:

Right, finally ready to release my contribution to the tribute.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y...rial_for_Ty.mid

My take on Legion of the Lost. Might need a bit of reshuffling with volume levels in places, but I'm happy enough with it for now.

fantastic work, Eris. much more moodier and appropriate than the one i churned out in a day or so. i think it sounds good enough volume-wise, imo. i compared it to my remix, and it wasn't significantly lower in volume, and my work tends to be very, well... loud and shit.

Your version is pretty good too though, there were some pitch bends at the end that sounded a bit off, but on the whole it was a pretty interesting rendition. There will be people who don't like how its been turned into a faster, sort of more upbeat piece, but I think it still sounds cool regardless :)

yeah, i probably should go and fix that, actually. i was harmonizing two guitar notes, which sounded okay by itself... but when i pitch-bend the results, it gets kind of ugly. probably should just have one note for that.

my proficiency is kind of with having more beat-driven music. i'm not very good on the moody/ambient scale.

Hopefully it's not too hefty a request, but would one of you guys be able to do a remix of Agony Rhapsody please? I'm thinking something a little bit slower and more moody with some pauses at the right times.

I guess that's my sort of thing. What makes me hesitant though is those tempo changes, especially as the original file is in MUS format, so there isn't anything I can use as a rough guide for them. That said it should be possible to get good results without that stuff going on (I think Lorcan left them out too).

i could probably whip up some more tracks too if anyone wants. particularly for the Eternal Doom themed levels it could be fun to remix some of the early Eternal Doom tracks, which are very same-y and gets old to listen to after a while.

I would like to hear longer versions of the Eternal Doom songs, I feel like they were pretty short, especially the song from the last map.

MAP03's music could definitely stand to be longer. I always liked that one, reminded me of Crash Bandicoot for some reason.

It is now SepTyber. Let the mapping commence!

Custom textures, yay or nay?

EDIT: also having "preferred" IWAD in the OP probably isn't the best thing.

Z0k and I have already started mapping with just the TNT iWad. We may put other stuff in later, but at the moment we both like what it is. Also, with the amount of detailing he's putting into this thing it'd be a shame to change the themes of the parts that are completed.

I'd have to vote that if you want something different in your map, go for it. Maps can be arranged later to order them in a way that doesn't jump around too much. I think as long as the map order isn't techbase, then hell, followed by techbase, which ends and takes you back to hell, etc. we will all be happy with the differences in resources used.

Here's my first draft:

Fallen Steward--Eternal Archive

The oh-so-subtle nods to Ty Halderman include an archive/library theme, a lone fallen warrior, and an ESSENTIAL PILLAR in the centre of the building. Difficulty settings are implemented, but I suspect UV may be too easy / HNTR may be too punishing.

Note: This map is primarily designed to be used with retres.wad (including the sprite replacements, etc), and tested mostly with PrBoom+. After Obsidian pointed out the Final Doom texture packs, I decided to add a couple of Evilution textures as well. So you will also need tnttextures.wad. Except that texture pack is in ZDoom format, and I haven't had time to fiddle with making a version that is fully compatible with retres.wad

So, as mentioned in the 'bugs' part of the text file, Anything but (G)ZDoom will probably give you an HOM in place of one secret TNT switch, and fail to draw a few minor fence midtextures.

It might be a couple of days before I get time to sort out the texture packs, so in the meantime, feedback and/or FDAs are welcome.