Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Doom II - Hellscape :: BETA TESTERS WANTED

gaspe said:

The room with the arches and the shadows is gorgeous.

I know, right? All of that ceiling detail in general just leaves me in awe. Like, how does one even conceptualize something like that, let alone actually construct it? Just amazing. (If I hadn't already despaired of ever becoming a Doom mapper, this would be the final nail in the proverbial coffin.)

DeathevokatioN said:

Woooowwww.... I don't see the point in finishing any of my creations anymore.

do it

I think its great when people make the hell levels actually look hellish. An entire plane of evil can't be shown through some dirt cave, you know? Can't wait for the finished product.

This is amazing, the attention to detail is just mind blowing. Can't wait to the play the release version. This just goes to prove that doom map making is a skill that only some are properly gifted. Cos I suck at map making (not that anyone cares :P)

Some of the shots look a little too busy for their own good, but they might feel different in game. Some shots simply look gorgeous. I especially liked the arches casting shadows.

Really love what you did with Catacombs, which is one of the few Doom 2 maps I really like. I like that you kept tbe platforms amidst a toxic pool thing.

dethtoll said:

Really love what you did with Catacombs, which is one of the few Doom 2 maps I really like. I like that you kept tbe platforms amidst a toxic pool thing.

The general idea is to keep the same high-level "theme" or "description" constant, just tweak the actual implementation/architecture. Of course, that ends up being completely subjective and pretty worthless, so you going to get what I give you :)

elden4 said:

where to download this masterpiece?

At the rate I'm going, probably 2016...

Lutz said:

Yes, please

Thanks, and I will. :)
Sorry if I sounded a bit like a dork in my post... it was meant to be a compliment... either way, I'm still in awe when I see these shots.

Remaking the last 1/3 of the Doom 2 levels in a consistant hell theme is a great idea. I always liked some of the later Doom 2 levels. For example The Chasm. Though I never interpreted as situated in hell, it feels like a subterranean base.

Will the original layouts still be recognisable, or do you just take the general idea of each level and create something new from it? Looking forward to this!

Edit: Your project made me replay levels 21-29... some really weird, but also interesting maps. It must have been at least 10 years since I last played through them. I remembered a lot of stuff differently.
I remembered that Nirvana was ugly, and it is, but also has a certain surreal quality to it. The Spirit World, I still remember how I was impressed by that sprawling cave palace scenario with all sorts of red glowing lava walls and floors. But you have to shoot a random texture to open the exit? WTF were they thinking?

Tetzlaff said:

For example The Chasm. Though I never interpreted as situated in hell, it feels like a subterranean base.

Agreed. For me, the worst offender is "Abandoned Mines" -- the architecture and theme (even the level's title!) imply it should appear in the earlier levels.

Tetzlaff said:

Will the original layouts still be recognisable, or do you just take the general idea of each level and create something new from it?

I don't have any set rules, per se, but the general goal is to keep the same rough layout, flow, key order, etc, so that any player familiar with the original will recognize my version. For example, there are few similarities between the original "Catacombs" and my version from an architecture perspective beyond the general description of a "mostly marble structures with a central nuke lake", but the flow is roughly the same (SE->NE->NW->SW) and the key/door progression is identical (I suppose I should eventually get around to posting some map comparison screenshots that should illustrate this in better detail than I am doing now).

The Chasm most definitely isn't a Hell-on-Earth E3 hell map per se. It's most probably a very slightly converted map Sandy made at some point between his Doom and Doom 2 contributions. It would break the original game's limits, but it uses Doom's resources almost exclusively. Even monster placement-wise the Doom 2 monsters feel just tacked on in a few extraneous areas, not woven into the main map.

It would take one Pain Elemental in a right spot to turn this map into a total nightmare, yet Sandy passed up the chance? No, this has to be a very late Doom E3 submission (assuming because of the BFG) that was either breaking limits so much that they had to go back to whatever garbage it was supposed to replace, or it was something Sandy was doing on the side to show everyone what cool shit the engine can make when strained. Its massive scope is certainly unique outside of map29.

Jesus christ man... You make it hard for a noob mapper to continue! Lol... Nah to be honest If I could create ONE of those areas I would be fulfilled. The shadows on those pillars are amazing... If you're not a level designer for a AAA studio then what are you waiting on?!?

Bloody awesome! Well, almost literally, since it's the hellish episode of Doom 2.

Not sure, how far is the release date (I guess even you don't know, which is fairly OK), but it's definitely worth for me to return to Youtube by making a video series about this mapset.