Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DWANGO: 21st Anniversary (FINISHED! Come and get it)

Doomkid said:

I actually like that map a lot as it is, it's really fun. Maybe shrink it slightly, but not too much - It's a huge improvement from the first version anyways :)

I'm taking a bit of a step back and processing things with this project. 9 of the maps definitely were too Gothic/Midieval themed to fit in, so I think that should be it's own deathmatch release for after Dwango21.

I have 23 "traditional" maps left over, a few still have bits of custom texturing, but it definitely feels much more authentic to the better Dwango maps now. There's a bunch of texture issues popping up from this massive WAD split, but once I have it all fixed up I'll post a new build of what's here so far!

As a side note, this 9 map Gothic-looking wad is going to be great, will be a fun excuse to go insane on detailing while Dwango21 can be more focused on OS deathmatch. I'm glad you mentioned the things you did Miano, instead of having one wad with clashy themes we can have two that are both more "whole" as a result.

Thank you for taking my advice. To be honest, I think it would be better off if the exec/gothic looking maps were in it's own separate wad. Like a DWANGO: Medieval Deathmatch or something along the lines of that.

Just go easy on the custom texturing. I used only a couple of custom textures in MAP19 and it blends well with the vanilla textures. In my opinion, there are too many maps from the latest build that kind of belong in ZDM_3.wad because of the style and use of custom textures.

Examples of the maps that would should have been in zdm_3: MAP01, MAP04, MAP06, MAP08, MAP10, MAP13, MAP18, MAP20, MAP21, and MAP23

Examples of maps that belong in some POBLA inspired wad: MAP03, MAP05, MAP09, MAP14, and MAP22

Examples of maps I feel would be ideal for a DWANGO 21st Anniversary wad: MAP02, MAP08 (Just do a little bit of texturing), MAP11, MAP12, MAP16, MAP17, MAP19, and MAP24

The POBLA inspired maps from Captain Toenail and (can't remember his name) don't exactly seem have that DWANGO feel. Don't get me wrong, I think they are great maps, but they should really be in its own separate wad.

I edited my map a little more. New version contains new item placement (chainguns, health packs, and ammo). Outdoor sectors have a brightness of 208 instead of 255.

I like Cacowad's Scroll Move Things according to Line Vector action for the player starts and I implemented that in my map with the teleport to BFG route.

Also, this version has dual pistols in replace of the chaingun. I found the sprites from joe-ilya's wad. I think they are neat, but if you want to use them you should give him credit.

Note: My update still has a bug (HOM) at the lift and I can't seem to fix it. Idk why. But it also has bugs when using Odamex so use Zandronum.

Springy, that map is sexy, it will go perfectly with the other gothic themed maps.

Walter, thanks a ton for the submissions! I would love to mess around with these maps, I love some of the areas you have and think they're very authentic to the dwango style, I'd like to give it the same treatment as some of the others and shrink it but I like them a lot overall.

Miano, thanks a bunch for the update, and I'll definitely find out whats causing that HOM.. Some vanilla bullshit no doubt!

Alrighty folks, for now, I'm gonna call it a wrap on submissions. If you have something in the works, let me now now! There's quite a lot of stuff here, got some great maps from other parts of the Doom community as well! Give me about a week (give or take) and I'll have two things uploaded - The Dwango21 mapset as it is currently, and the more gothic themed set in a very beta form. I'll work more on that in the months to come after this gets finished.

Stay tuned :)

Doomkid said:

Walter, thanks a ton for the submissions! I would love to mess around with these maps, I love some of the areas you have and think they're very authentic to the dwango style, I'd like to give it the same treatment as some of the others and shrink it but I like them a lot overall.

Miano, thanks a bunch for the update, and I'll definitely find out whats causing that HOM.. Some vanilla bullshit no doubt!

I like Walter's maps. They kind of have a DWANGO12 influence in my opinion. They just need a little more editing.

Anytime Doomkid. It's probably a simple fix, but I'm just too oblivious to figure it out. If you can use the custom sky and midi that will be great :)

Oh well, i still have to decide how much i have to squeeze my map... 64 px for side? 128 px? i'll make sure you have it soon toh.

Cacowad said:

Oh well, i still have to decide how much i have to squeeze my map... 64 px for side? 128 px? i'll make sure you have it soon toh.

I gotta admit, your map is really starting to grow on me more each time I play it. I look forward to seeing your edits because I'm sure they will be good.

Hey, i'm very flattered that you like playing on it! Thank you. V3_2 is here, probably you won't even notice the 385'024 missing pixels: https://www.mediafire.com/?hwps3ajb0kwr0ur

EDIT: hey, i finally found the test server! if you miss someone for testing shoot me a pm.

EDIT2: found a minor bug, a staircase was missing a step, dunno why i didn't found that sooner, link updated.

Inkie said:

Version 2

Did what you told me too, and some other small things.

Definitely looks like a DWANGO map and probably plays like one too. The only thing I dislike is some of the aesthetics, particularly what I circled in red in this image:

Other than that, I think the map looks fine. I just need to give it a playtest online to see how it really plays.

I playtested it and it's really good. The only change I would make is that triangle BFG lift and, making the WOODMET in the middle rectangular, but it plays awesomely - Very fun map.

Doomkid said:

I playtested it and it's really good. The only change I would make is that triangle BFG lift and, making the WOODMET in the middle rectangular, but it plays awesomely - Very fun map.

Yeah I don't like that triangular and pointy looking sector. It should be rectangular or something along the lines of that. If those can be fixed, the map would look better.

The sectors in the middle of the map with the WOODMET1 textures don't seem to really serve much of a purpose. They get in the way and they are an eyesore in my opinion. I highly recommend removing them. It might make the map look a little more open. Same with those three thin ASHWALL2 sectors. Either remove them or make them look less paper thin.

Also, I've played plenty of DM throughout the years and I have one thing to say... AVOID PUTTING CHAINSAWS IN DM MAPS. Chainsaws are just an awful weapon for ffa and even duel. They will not enhance your map's gameplay at all and more than half time I notice players getting fragged when attempting to attack another player with the chainsaw. It's the same thing with the berserk powerup. Unless you change the gameplay mechanics, such as modifying the hit power or firing speed of the chainsaw or fist, than maybe those weapons would be more ideal to use. Just stick with the shotgun, super shotgun, chaingun, rocket launcher, plasma rifle and BFG.

Edit: This is just a quick edited version I made of Inkie's latest update. It's just an experiment, so don't add it to the next beta unless he approves of it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8c1nt5l4x638amg/Slayground_mianoedited.wad

the_miano said:

It's the same thing with the berserk powerup. Unless you change the gameplay mechanics, such as modifying the hit power or firing speed of the chainsaw or fist, than maybe those weapons would be more ideal to use. Just stick with the shotgun, super shotgun, chaingun, rocket launcher, plasma rifle and BFG.

Well for this sort of thing the berserk is less of a weapon and more of a powerup.

AD_79 said:

Well for this sort of thing the berserk is less of a weapon and more of a powerup.

I consider the berserk as a powerup too that improves a weapon's hit power, which happens to be a fist.

It's OK to put a saw for the ridiculous chainsaw duels that sometimes end up happening, but it's always best to put it out of the way/not near spawns.

I think the Woodmetl walls are good to have there, they provide for good cover, I just think they need to be rectangles :)

the_miano said:

I consider the berserk as a powerup too that improves a weapon's hit power, which happens to be a fist.

Any excuse is a good excuse to punch a... player?

AD_79 said:

No, I'm talking more about the 100% health bit

Ah ok I see what you mean now.

Doomkid said:

I think the Woodmetl walls are good to have there, they provide for good cover, I just think they need to be rectangles :)

I honestly disagree, I think it looks way better without them regardless if they were rectangles :P

Fonze said:

Any excuse is a good excuse to punch a... player?

Any excuse is a good excuse to chainsaw a... Baron?

the_miano said:

Any excuse is a good excuse to chainsaw a... Baron?

^.^ yes! I made a "FunnyBaron" a week ago with 10x the health and a high enough pain chance to just barely get off a couple attacks a minute when chainsawed. Prolly never use him, but he cracks me up. Under normal circumstances, though, I've learned through the school of hard knocks not to do that... then promptly forgot it, then learned again, etc.

Hey I tried to play a couple of these tonight, but it's kicking me out with a "no player1 start" message on the second level. Maybe it's because I'm hermiting it up and playing SP, but I suppose in that case I'll just have to play these with someone.

I liked MAP01, though. It made me realize that:

In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain

Wait, who am I? Am I a Homer-fish? Awww shit

the_miano said:

I honestly disagree, I think it looks way better without them regardless if they were rectangles :P

It's one of those odd things... The maps functionality becomes different (and too predictable) without them, the cover they provide is essential to the map's current gameplay. I actually did remove them and change them around and stuff for a few playtests, and the result was that they're good strategically but look a little ugly. Perhaps a different way to implement a barrier there, or a different texture?

Fonze said:

Hey I tried to play a couple of these tonight, but it's kicking me out with a "no player1 start" message on the second level. Maybe it's because I'm hermiting it up and playing SP, but I suppose in that case I'll just have to play these with someone.

Sorry, you SHOULD be able to go through this in SP - That little bug is just a mapping oversight :)

Doomkid said:

It's one of those odd things... The maps functionality becomes different (and too predictable) without them, the cover they provide is essential to the map's current gameplay. I actually did remove them and change them around and stuff for a few playtests, and the result was that they're good strategically but look a little ugly. Perhaps a different way to implement a barrier there, or a different texture?

I would have to test it out with you and see for myself if they really enhance the gameplay or not. But they do look really fugly and I don't think re-texturing will really make much of a difference to be honest.

I remember a couple of years ago a guy who goes by the name durian on Doomworld showed me these maps to help me improve on my map editing:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lcql1n6cz7xv1kw/IMMY-DM2.WAD
http://www.mediafire.com/download/024bdcsbwbc95hy/IMMY-DM5.WAD

I think one of them was featured in a DWANGO wad. They were apparently made in the 90's and I think it would be ideal to try and emulate this style for DWANGO21. Especially the IMMY-DM5 wad. Coming from a guy who is super picky on map aesthetics and gameplay, these are actually pretty good.

EDIT: I think this would make a great edition to the DWANGO21 pack. It's called DieAngle and the text file says that it can be used as a base for modification/reuse.

I'm currently idlind on odamex on the dwango21 test server, if you want come over and join me ;)

EDIT: apparently i'm really, REALLY bad and i got rekt 30/4 tree times in a row until now.

Cacowad said:

I'm currently idlind on odamex on the dwango21 test server, if you want come over and join me ;)

EDIT: apparently i'm really, REALLY bad and i got rekt 30/4 tree times in a row until now.

Are you on Odamex right now?

Make sure you join us in IRC whenever you're keen to have a match! If I'm not at work or asleep, I'm there!

(irc.quakenet.org #dmstuff - Sorry for being a broked record but I rarely query the server list unless I know a game is on :)

the_miano said:

EDIT: I think this would make a great edition to the DWANGO21 pack. It's called DieAngle and the text file says that it can be used as a base for modification/reuse.

I just playtested this and it's actually pretty good.