Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yay, more Eternal maps!!!! I thought he quit.

Also surprised he doesn't have an account here, weird.

Obsidian said:

Heh, doesn't Eternal have an account on here? A shame he never comes to visit.

Firedust said:

Also surprised he doesn't have an account here, weird.

He has an account, but I suppose he doesn't like writing in English very much.

Obsidian said:

Also YES.

Octavarium said:

Eternal is still mapping?!?! WHOOOOOOOO

Firedust said:

Yay, more Eternal maps!!!! I thought he quit.

True, best news all week.

Great to see more stuff from Eternal, one of the best active mappers around, and once again he does not disappoint. I'm not that familiar with the original Icarus myself but there were some rather obvious homages thrown in here and there if I'm not completely mistaken. Progression was a bit cyptic in a few maps but I'm thinking it's intentional and I don't really have a problem with it.

Here are FDAs for all maps in case someone happens to be interested. Map05 has an interesting blind Chaingunner at the 17:40 mark, which is pretty much the only bug I found in the entire set (I wasn't looking very hard though). None of the maps are very hard and I had like two or three deaths total but medium difficulty is fine as combat is still interesting and then there's the exploration factor as well. Map10 is a DNF because I fucking suck and I thought I was pretty much finished with it anyway, others I do finish.

Good stuff Eternal, hoping to see more sooner rather than later.

Ah yes! I actually worried of him. He was inactive for a VERY LONG time, it would be a terrible loss if he stops working. :/

There's also this map by Memfis; very simple and easy, but an interesting challenge if you want to beat it without taking any damage.

About Icar2015:
MAP01 - disappointment
MAP02 - some oldschool vibe which I adore, liked
MAP03 - somehow I found it extremely confusing
MAP04 - didn't finish yet (died with 74 monsters left). I'm a big fan of all these lift combos and height variations, I think it's a great map.

I noticed that fast opening automatic doors don't have enthusiasts and were abandoned by both Memfis and Eternal.
Exit rooms requiring red key are there, so a plus for "homage faithfulness".

Makes me wonder what an Icarus megawad done today with this texture set would look like. Really enjoying Eternal's maps, he makes really good use of the Icarus textures.

MAP04. OK, finished, indeed very good on the whole. Reminds me a bit of... Reverie.
MAP05. ... and this one looks like a bonus level for Torment by Shamus Young. Except that crates room, it was fun. Good looking blue key area. Also, wow, these levels are getting big.
MAP06. Beautiful, only two keys, no complaints here.
MAP07. Here I start to feel these maps are getting unnecessarily long. And it's all corridors, ambush chaingunners (better to say: chaingunners in alcoves), etc. Yawn.

MAP08. Another good looking one, but I needed to check Doom Builder. I missed a switch - linedef 246, and when I finally found it and pressed it, it didn't seem to do anything. Well, it does rise another walkway VERY SLOWLY.
MAP09, MAP10... While the maps continue to be good-looking old-school a la Reverie, they are getting annoying by repeating the tropes over and over. A green armor at the start in a room like in Suspended in Dusk MAP01? Check. Linear progression with >2 doors, but only one openable? Check. Hitscanners/imps/demons in alcoves? Check. And so on. A bit awkward second cyber placement on MAP09 deserves attention. Not sure if it's good or bad, but interesting for sure.
MAP11. More of the same. I liked the house theme, though.

Overall a superb effort, but the originals - MAP01,08,11 - will always be more memorable to me.

Map 3 has a mysterious secret that seems to be bugged, walked all over the map in noclip mode over every line, nothing triggered.

That would be a sector effect, like damaging floors which also work in noclip, but not walkover line actions. Why not try opening the map in Doom Builder to locate the offending line?

Interesting how this kind of came and went on here, even though it's by a famous mapper.

I started just now, played first couple levels, cool stuff! Well done nice classic gameplay, seems worth a look for sure.