Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Exquisite Corpse 2 [community uniwad project]

"Exquisite corpse" is the title for an old surrealistic style of making sentences by having people add words without knowing what came before. Anyway...

I've had an idea for a sequel to http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/excorpse for a while and now is as good a time as any to try and do it.

Basically the idea is that we get a bunch of people who want to contribute. Each contributor will get a big square section of the level.

Imagine we have 9 people who want to participate. So what happens is each person is given a 2048x2048 space to make a part of a level. The first person (1) makes a 2048x2048 area, and since his portion is in the top corner, the right and bottom sides will just sort of terminate, like cut off in the middle of a hallway or whatever.

Then the moderator (me) takes section 1 and passes it along to 2 and 4. The trick is that I only slice off, say, 64 units along the edge and pass that small margin along, so the next person has a small idea of what the last person was doing in terms of sector height, light level, flats, etc etc but doesn't exactly know what the theme was, so he makes up his own theme instead.

Then once 2 and 4 have made their 2048x2048 squares, I do the same thing and pass along margins to 3, 5, and 7, then once they're done I pass it along to 6 and 8, then finally 9.

The result is a multi-part WAD where none of the 9 contributors have any idea what the entire thing looks like until it's released.

I'm thinking that since this is just for fun I'll keep it Doom2- or maybe Boom-compatible.

If you're interested put your name here, if I get enough people who want to participate then we'll give it a shot and see what comes out the other end.

This is a great idea. No excuses, even for the worst repeat offenders of procrastination. Anyone should be able to finish a bite-sized portion of a map. I foresee this project actually getting done.

@xnv: It's 9 contributions per one map. See? The process can be repeated to make more maps, provided that people will still be interested.

I'm interested in participating, but I don't want to be among the first 9 people creating the first map. I won't actually mind if the project will be cancelled after the first map and I would never make it in.

Apparently I did not make myself clear enough.

* It's one map. ONE MAP. For the love of all that is good and holy, this is not a community megawad project. THIS IS NOT A COMMUNITY MEGAWAD PROJECT
* There is no "limit" to participants besides not wanting it to be horrendously big.

I can give this a go, I'm fairly decent at small-scale mapping. It'd be nice if we had a texture set to work with, but I can use stock textures no problem.

I want to be a part of this.. I'm spread thin with community stuff but this idea is too interesting to pass up.

Sounds interesting. Perhaps I need a distraction from a project I started as a distraction from a project I started as a distraction from a project I started as a distraPLEASE KILL ME

VGA said:

But what about progression, keys, locked doors etc?

Use switches instead of keys + locks if you want to be safe.

My guess is that you're supposed to figure that out for yourself so you can have varied difficulties between areas because nobody knows what everyone else is doing

Yeah, the more random and ridiculous the better, I almost feel.

In my usual "contribute to everything!" style, I'll sign up. I'm curious to know what the plan is in case someone vanishes/doesn't complete their section/quits, though. Holes with RIP messages in 'em? :P

Also, a vote for Boom just for the extra specials.

If Boom format will be used, there will be a possibility to use up to 6 types of locked doors. Perhaps each one would be assigned to a random participant (6 ones in total) for free use in his part and only there (both door and the key must be included in the part), while the remaining participants would have to not use locks?

If they key's in the same area as the door, there's little point IMO. Might muck with the implied nonlinearity setup, so the easy way out is "no keys", I feel.

Either way, the key situation is firmly in Ling's court, since he'll need to be the one to assign keys to use if so.

We can combine in which area is each key. Like: 2- Blue Key, 3 - Yellow Key inside Blue key door, 7 - Red key inside Yellow key door, 9 - Exit inside Red Key car

If #9 is the exit, we could make the level a six-key gather (keys in six of the seven non-start or -exit areas), and maybe mandate that a BFG, which will need at least a few keys to get, can only be placed in the seventh non-start or -exit area. That might help with balancing, too. It'll be easier to design fights knowing that there won't be an excess of cells with the BFG just lying around in someone else's area.

1 has no keys and no locked doors, 2 and 4 have no locked doors but can have a key each. 3, 7, 6, and 8 have locked doors and one key each. 5 and 9 have locked doors, but no keys.

So, to sum up this thread so far, there are already 13 people who directly said they wanted to participate, and 3 more ones who said it indirectly or reluctantly. Will the map be 4x4 instead of 3x3?