Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sparky

The Quest for Necronomicon for Ultimate Doom

Here's an oldie but a goodie - revisited.
The Quest for Necronomicon (version 1.3) - A Total Conversion Episode (8 maps) for Doom or Ultimate Doom v1.9. Featuring new monsters and weapons, and lots of new sounds and graphics.

This was an old DMGRAPH patch and also used DeHackEd v2.0, so my guess is very few people here have actually played it.
This version has only 3 files: deh wad and txt,
so there's no patching required. works with any source port with DeHackEd and sprite support - such as Boom, PRboom, MBF, SMMU, ZDoom, PrjDoom, Legacy, etc.

Get it from here (1.0 MB):
http://www.eisa.net.au/~kelm/files/quest13.zip

Sparky

Is anyone interested in this sort of stuff,
or is it just a waste of everyone's time
(especially my own)?

I've literally updated HUNDREDS of Doom/Doom2
addons which I can't upload to cdrom.com due
to copyright restrictions. Let me know if there's
something you can't run with a certain Source Port
and there's a good chance I've already updated it.

At the moment I'm updating the 10-level "Doom Must Fall" TC.
Is anyone interested in that at all?

I need feedback.

Three issues, dude:

1. Updating levels to remove bugs, improve gameplay/atmosphere, add graphics, etc. is always an excellent thing. I believe you'll have the support of everyone who enjoys add-ons. (I, myself, have downloaded some of your reworked/improved levels, and I encourage your initiative.)

2. Copyrights. There may be a few who, on principle, will not play add-ons that infringe copyrights (yeah, right!) As you have pointed out, CDROM.com and other sites will not accept files that contain certain copyrighted material (Beavis & Butthead, Disney, etc.) But I'm sure you can be hosted by a site that doesn't give a fig about this issue.

3. Feedback. As you probably know, people tend not to provide feedback, whether good or bad. Unfortunately, that will generate an impression in your mind that either no-one is playing your updated levels, or that they are not appreciating it. (At this point all those hordes of DooM addicts are supposed to join in a chorus of encouragement for Sparky.) Those that you hear from are probably just a few voices of a silent majority. Don't let that discourage you. In the past year I have created 15 levels, into which I have put a LOT of work. I have not gotten feedback on even a single level. But that is not preventing me from creating my next set (I have completed 3 of a 5-level set).

Guest Wraithchilde
Sparky said:

Is anyone interested in this sort of stuff,
or is it just a waste of everyone's time
(especially my own)?

I've literally updated HUNDREDS of Doom/Doom2
addons which I can't upload to cdrom.com due
to copyright restrictions. Let me know if there's
something you can't run with a certain Source Port
and there's a good chance I've already updated it.

At the moment I'm updating the 10-level "Doom Must Fall" TC.
Is anyone interested in that at all?

I need feedback.

I'm ALWAYS interested in any wads that I don't have. And
Part of the problem is, like Rex said, most people don't
bother to shoot off an email if they play your wad. Another
problem is (I run into this a lot) that the email address
listed in the template that was packaged with the wad is no
longer valid. This could be because I got the wad from
CDRom.com but the newest version of the wad is somewhere else.

Check out my recent post on this board. Though it might need
some help and modification, I think the idea is right. And I
think this would help solve problem #2 I mentioned above. As
for problem #1... cattle prod? Who knows.

ReX said:

Thanks guys, I needed that.

My earlier post must have been during
a low point.

With all this flaming going on lately,
it's easy to forget that there's some
really nice people in the Doom Community.

I'm feeling more positive already :-)

About the feedback thing, seeing the number of downloads of my levels (for q2 and hl), comparing it to the number of mails i've gotten about it, i'd say about One of Five hundred people will send you mail about your maps... Not very impressive =(

DiSTuRBeD said:

About the feedback thing, seeing the number of downloads of my levels (for q2 and hl), comparing it to the number of mails i've gotten about it, i'd say about One of Five hundred people will send you

1 in 500 ... oh dear, I'd hate to be doing this looking for an ego boost then ;-)
But fans of both those games are predominantly players rather than editors aren't they? So they might not have any idea how much time and effort is required. The Doom community would have more editors than players, so I would have thought that the feedback rate would be higher. Afterall, the time required to shoot off a quick mail is insignificant in relation to the time some people spent on their game addons.
Ironically, the only people likely to read this are probably the same people who always mail authors with appreciation, comments, bug reports, etc.

Knowing those numbers, and having recieved 50 mails about a map is cool =))))
That will never happen for DOOM mappers i think =(. So let it be said : I love what y'all are doing =)

Guest LCS150

Hey, if it's not for Doom II but for Ultimate DOOM 1.9, or even DOOM, I'm interested.