Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 24 - Go Go Gadget Speedmap!

Alrighty, all I need is SavageCorona's music and a MAPINFO and I can upload a quick alpha! I need to put my brain to sleep (and possibly the rest of me), but with luck the alpha should be done before too long.

SavageCorona said:

There ya go you schmickle

Make sure you put it in your wad next time you dingus. :)

Anyway, Ding! CWILV## graphics, map order and texture managing still need doing, but this should be definitely playable for those of you who want to do some streaming.

I'll stream it tomorrow night if I'm not doing anything. If not I'll do it at the weekend when I have all the time I need.

P.S. I'd like to be able to see people's names before I stream this because I have no idea who made what

The only problem I found while racing through it was this map has a missing flat or two

Besides that, nothing to worry about.

SavageCorona said:

The only problem I found while racing through it was this map has a missing flat or two

[img]

Besides that, nothing to worry about.

Hmm, I wonder if that has to do with the two wall patches I found in the flats. I'll look into it.

Hargl Bargl. Wysteria was supposed to use an ALLBLACK sky.

Also, plans are to have a thanks for playing map15 that also has direct access to the SECRET MAP.

Will fix both soon.

I'd like to get people's opinions on whether the Violence resources should stay. Ostensibly all that was required for the session were the textures and palette, but I feel like the weapons and sounds should not be present in the final WAD, or the mapset may be in danger of being viewed as "Violence with some extra maps".

Additionally, some of the stock Doom 2 resources should be cleaned up, there's way too much interstitial purple for it to look like a clean conversion imho.

Thoughts?

I vote remove the weapons - but that's just because I don't really like new weapon mods/sprites/sounds. I have no real problem if they remain, but do we really need them?

I think AD has the final say about whether or not we remove them but I like them a lot. It spices up the old look.

It also just hit me like 2 days after Jimmy said "it's just Violence with more maps if we don't remove them", a good argument could be that it's just Doom with more maps and purple if we do remove them :^)

Go ahead and remove the resources, it doesn't matter much to me what you do with them, heh.

I say keeeeep~
Some of the maps will have some of the custom sprites put to use- like trees and the skull etc...plus it make a nice change over seeing the standard vanilla stuff all the time!

Ah yes, of course! Be sure to keep the custom decoration sprites - they are important in most of the maps, and I love those purple trees! I think we're discussing whether to keep the guns.

That MAP01 is too hard imo

also, here a v2 of my map (no palette included, it have it already on the main wad), it have:

- few more details
- "better" texture alignment at the outdoor section with the mancubi
- all the glass windows at the switch stone room are "breakable"
- better thing placement and added difficulty settings

Enjoy, if you found any problem told me!

Walter, altering the map after the session is long finished isn't really keeping with the whole "speedmap" thing, heh.

Obsidian said:

Walter, altering the map after the session is long finished isn't really keeping with the whole "speedmap" thing, heh.

sorry, but... didn't it goes good on other older sessions?

walter confalonieri said:

sorry, but... didn't it goes good on other older sessions?

Not really, with the exception of session 22 which didn't really pan out anyway.

Give me a while to fix up the compilation, and if it's okay with everyone, I might take things from here on out. (For this sesh, I mean.)

sleep first tho heh *zzzzz*

RC2 Downfoad

Changes:
- After a 7-6 vote against, the snazzy purple guns are no more.
- Titlepic and M_DOOM added.
- CWILVs added.
- EMAPINFO added.
- Intermission music added (Fuzzball's suggestion).
- Purple STKEYS0 and STKEYS3 added to make the blue keys purple.
- Added rf`'s map's flats.
- Patches, flats and sprites copied over from doom2.wad and recolored to better fit within the palette. There is a lot less incidental (where it was bad-looking) purple now.
- I've messed with the colormap. The WAD now uses an auto-generated colormap resulting from the Violence palette, instead of the one that came with Violence. The purple now fades to a dull grey in darker places, which doesn't look super-pretty, but imo is better than the rapid fade to solid black that was before. I could probably still futz around with it to make sure it stays vivid.
- Tweaked a couple of the patches/flats in the original resource to improve their colors.
- Added a slot (and CWILV) for a "thanks for playing" MAP15.
- Joe's map is MAP32.

A proper map order still needs to be decided because fuck if I'm letting Obsidian's MAP01 be the opener of this. Waaaaaaaaayyyy too brutal. :I

SavageCorona said:

Is this another revision I have to download before I stream later?

First one affects a few monsters. Second one not so much. I dunno.