Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

Give me a theme/restriction and I'll speedmap! [5 MAPS DONE]

mumblemumble said:

You know that doom 2 reloaded mapset actually has a map based on this principle right? Big warehouse you need to sneak through before hitting a switch which "raises a defense grid".

In essence, if you do anything which makes noise, a fuckton of archviles FLOOD every corner of the map, absolutely guaranteeing you will die. And when you "raise the defense grid", it crushes a few hundred archviles in a box outside the main map.

Not saying your idea is bad, or that it shouldn't be done, mind you : far from it. But figured I'd let you know a map like that exists already, so you can play it if you haven't already.

Oh, wow, I haven't played that one. Sounds badass! I'll check it out.

You thought I forgot about this, didn't you?

But no, from 8 PM CET I was speedmapping for this theme suggested by obake:

obake said:

Lots of doors, and lots of teleporting monsters.

And I came up with Stressed Desserts, my first speedmap in ages.

A small, but tasty map. Haven't map in a while so this may not be the best speedmap out of these. There aren't really many doors but teleporting monsters? You'll see.

YEY!

Glaice said:

Techbase, chaingunners/sergeants/zombiemen only, ambushes/traps galore.

I want to see this, emphasis on ambush/traps.

I would appreciate any feedback on my newest map, if possible.

You thought I forgot about this, didn't you?

But no, from 8 PM CET I was speedmapping for this theme suggested by obake:

Lots of doors, and lots of teleporting monsters.

And I came up with Stressed Desserts, my first speedmap in ages.

A small, but tasty map. Haven't map in a while so this may not be the best speedmap out of these. There aren't really many doors but teleporting monsters? You'll see.

YEY!

Played yesterday, don't found any kind of game breaking bugs, only a different upper texture in the cave stairs that leads to the red key...

rdwpa said:

Played yesterday.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jd5pbhjt3phv9ah/stressed_rdwpa_fda.lmp

This sort of monster composition is really well-suited for a berserk pack.

Thanks for the demo. lol at the end where you were just like "fuck it".

Well I had berserk in mind but then I was thinking that it would make the map piss easy so I threw away that idea. Now that I look at it the map is pretty boring with the shotgun so I may replace the shotgun and (almost) all ammo with the berserk. I'll think about it.

A theme if you're so inclined:

Theme
-a Human Dig Site for an Alien Space Craft

Restrictions
- Use only SS monsters.
- Map contains no outdoor areas.
- Map contains many secret passages.
- 1024 x 1024 map.
- May not use doors.

More inherent

Theme:

- Ancient dungeons and ruins twisting to futuristic world via portals...

Restrictions:

- Build a map with 50 linedefs
- Do a map inspired by the fascinating D_RUNNIN theme
- 2048 x 1024 map
- Big usage of blue and black / dark textures

Okay, are these meant for individual maps or all in one? Because No Outdoors collides with Human Dig Site and 2048x1024 kind of overlaps with 50 lines.

Maximum of 16 unit wide sectors on one axis and every sector must change height (16 x ∞ or less, ∞ or less x 16)

This will have a lot of words, but it's quite simple.

Main rules (all together):

1. Under 50 monsters.
2. The full list of weapon/ammo things that should be placed on the level: one SSG, one chaingun, one rocket launcher, one plasma rifle, one chainsaw, three packs of four shells, three ammo clips, one box of bullets, and five rockets. (The main concept is that the player has a small amount of ammo of each type that has to be used smartly.)
3. Monsters that drop ammo can't be used unless they are placed in spots where their ammo is unreachable. (Monster block lines should be used around zombie turrets, for example, so they can't be pushed off.)

Additional guidelines:

4. Infighting can be possible, but not as a primary low-effort strategy, which would sort of ruin the concept of the level.
5. It shouldn't be possible for the player to be completely unable to make progress if they run out of ammo. (For example an immobile mancubus blocking the exit switch.) But it can be made tricky.
6. The player has ten SSG blasts, 150 bullets, seven rocket shots, forty PR shots. So a good rule of thumb, just so the first thing you test isn't ridiculously far from being balanced, is that you can place about 6000 HP worth of monsters. (Or, since things like pinkies, ground-based imps, and lost souls will certainly be killed with a chainsaw, 6000 HP worth of monsters that are risky or impossible to kill with the chainsaw.) You can go up from there on UV since infighting will happen occasionally, the RL's splash damage can affect multiple targets, since it's possible to use the chainsaw to kill even barons with good technique, and since the player should end up trying to evade some monsters.

Target IWAD: Doom II.

Theme: ur trapped inside a helish computer case and u must find a way out of it.

Restrictions:
- Only use techbase textures/flats, and only from either Community Chest 4 or vanilla Doom 2.
- Only use hot or corroding hazards. Computers can't have blood nor AIDS. :P
- At least 40% of the textures and flats are computer-related.
- The only furniture kinds you can use are floor lamp, short tech lamp or tall tech lamp.

Target source ports: any.

DoomLover234 said:

Okay, are these meant for individual maps or all in one? Because No Outdoors collides with Human Dig Site and 2048x1024 kind of overlaps with 50 lines.

The rules i'll give to you is for a single map.

EDIT: removed the 50 linedefs limit

DoomLover234 said:

Did this from 6 PM CET:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6dip6dm3nibzxg9/exchange.wad
-------------
Data Exchange
-------------

A pretty hard map. Takes some time to beat. Traps and ambushes may not be perfect yet; but it should work.

Played on zandronum, found missing textures and a invisible pillar in the hallway for the larger yellow key room at left of the map...

Really cool map!

DoomLover234 said:

Did this from 6 PM CET:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6dip6dm3nibzxg9/exchange.wad
-------------
Data Exchange
-------------

A pretty hard map. Takes some time to beat. Traps and ambushes may not be perfect yet; but it should work.

Probably the best small map I've played all week. Adrenaline was really flowing.

FDA:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9pdvu4dxkzsbz97/exchange_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Spoiler

The very last chaingunner trap is telegraphed by the walls not being marked secret, which is a pretty big help for survival. Was still caught a tiny bit off guard by the trap not being sprung directly on the key area. Here's a replay where I try to hang around in the middle for ~0.5 seconds and I'm basically immediately shredded.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rh2rqdfalcro9p6/exchange_rdwpa_test.lmp

All the late former humans in this demo cracked me up.