Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

Abyssal Speedmapping Session 26 - In Stereo where available!

Name: Bruisin' for a Cruisin'
Build Time: 3 hours mfmfmgmgh
Music: "Bruisin' for a Cruisin'" by Bobby Prince (from Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport)
Themes: E1 (ish), 32 grid, some high-tier monsters and weapons, backtrack layout (ish)
Textures: d1gfxd2 (needs this loaded), plus some new flats and textures from Mapgame by rf`

A Map
Build time: 3.5 hours
Themes: mostly 32-unit grid and high-tier monsters, loosely Doom 1 and exit at the start/backtracking
Music: Strain map 13 (I think)

Not very well tested and may need balancing, play at your own risk. :P

I had some annoying issues with monsters seeing me through walls (I guess node builder stuff) that slowed me down a fair bit.

Edit: Just did an actual playthrough, it's all pretty well balanced, although the ending is much too easy (and a few crushers at the end don't work too well), may end up doing an update later today to balance that.

Compilation version 0.1 is done: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ullyx0w8otumr5q/ass26v01.wad?dl=1

- All maps compiled into a single WAD.
- All textures are included. There are some unused textures still in the WAD though.
- Music is included.

These maps have NOT been tested; they may (and probably do) contain bugs. There may also be checkerboards, so watch out for those.

Maplist (ordered by upload time, oldest to newest):

MAP01 = Beer Processing by joe-ilya
MAP02 = Maximum Ass(holery) by alterworldruler
MAP03 = My Square Ass by Surreily
MAP04 = Three Braying Asses in a Window by rf`
MAP05 = Payback for Alan Rickman's Death by DoomLover234
MAP06 = Initial Patio of the Community by TheMionicDonut
MAP07 = Corpses Live Forever by AD_79
MAP08 = E1 Cracks Now Official by scifista42
MAP09 = Lego to Duplo by Pinchy
MAP10 = Knee-Deep in the ass! by walter confalonieri
MAP11 = Whoops by an_mutt
MAP12 = Dickache Hotel by FuzzballFox
MAP13 = Vats of Hatred by Jimmy
MAP14 = It isn't fair! It isn't right! by Breezeep
MAP15 = Dangerous Slime Grid by RottKing
MAP16 = My Nuts in a Lifeshell by Obsidian
MAP17 = Romanian Ruckus by rf`
MAP18 = Meat & Bone Disposal Area by scifista42
MAP19 = Bruisin' for a Cruisin' by Jimmy
MAP20 = Daisys-dare :-O by Astral-Doomer
MAP21 = A Map by 4shockblast
I will be streaming the whole thing in just under an hour over on http://www.twitch.tv/surreily so if you want to see me suck at your map, your dreams will come true! I actually got the damn VOD thing set up properly now, so even if you can't catch it on stream, you can still see me get killed by arch-viles and revenants!

Please humbly accept this update to my map, which I hope you will enjoy. It should feature fixes to all of the hom and STARTAN/other ugly texture mistakes, as well as add an additional wall to the outside area so as to avoid seeing some of the more egregious sky cutoffs that the E1 sky is prone to. I've also jiggled one teleport spawn to make it not obnoxious, as well as fix two areas that would otherwise leave a player stuck.

Hi all, the VOD is now available on my Twitch channel (it's at http://www.twitch.tv/surreily for those who don't know). There is a part where I accidentally shit on everyone's maps, but that was an embarrassing slip-up on my part - I meant to only shit on my own map, but I was a bit muddled when I said it and the wrong thing came out :P

I was literally up 'till 4:30am last night to get my Doomworld Roulette map done before the deadline, so I had no time to fix up the errors in the WAD yet. I will check them out tonight and post any bugs that still remain. I also still need to add a sky in one of the maps and change the sky from MAP12 onwards to have the E1 sky. I will also propose a map order with the next version.

I should have some time to work on the WAD tonight... if nothing else happens...

I did a quick -nomonsters run through on PrBoom with the fixed versions of maps, and here's what I found:

Spoiler

MAP02:
- A very small HOM is present on the yellow key lift when it is fully lowered. Fixed
- The spider mastermind pits do not deal slime damage and are inescapable. Fixed

MAP07:
- This map crashed PrBoom upon loading. A node rebuild fixes this.

MAP12:
- The music on this map does not play in PrBoom, and it prevents all other sounds from playing too.

MAP14:
- The yellow key can be grabbed from outside the circular cage area. Fixed

MAP20:
- This map crashed PrBoom upon loading. A node rebuild fixes this.
- A large HOM is present around the entire perimeter of the map.

MAP21:
- A medium HOM is present on the sides of one of the last switches.

Thanks to those who have already posted fixes for their maps. I am impressed by the fixed MAP11, you got every single bug I pointed out on the stream!

It's here! ASS26 v0.2! https://www.dropbox.com/s/opai16u4sg49d6s/ass26v02.wad?dl=1

Changes
- Added TITLEPIC
- Added M_DOOM
- Added DEHACKED, map names are not yet implemented.
- Added various fixed versions of maps.
- Added a sky to TMD's map.
- Ran a node builder on two maps.
- Added three pathetic demos (complevel 9). Better/funnier demos welcome (again, make sure they're complevel 9).

Proposed Map Order
Feel free to disagree with this - the maps have not yet been moved. If you have something to say, please say it now, I don't want to have to shuffle maps around later :P

MAP01: E1 Cracks Now Official by scifista42
MAP02: Knee-Deep in the ass! by walter confalonieri
MAP03: Daisys-dare :-O by Astral-Doomer
MAP04: Three Braying Asses in a Window by rf`
MAP05: Vats of Hatred by Jimmy
MAP06: Dangerous Slime Grid by RottKing
MAP07: Bruisin' for a Cruisin' by Jimmy
MAP08: My Square Ass by Surreily
MAP09: Beer Processing by joe-ilya
MAP10: Corpses Live Forever by AD_79
MAP11: Payback for Alan Rickman's Death by DoomLover234
MAP12: My Nuts in a Lifeshell by Obsidian
MAP13: Dickache Hotel by FuzzballFox
MAP14: Romanian Ruckus by rf`
MAP15: Whoops by an_mutt
MAP16: Lego to Duplo by Pinchy
MAP17: It isn't fair! It isn't right! by Breezeep
MAP18: Maximum Ass(holery) by alterworldruler
MAP19: Initial Patio of the Community by TheMionicDonut
MAP20: A Map by 4shockblast
MAP21: Meat & Bone Disposal Area by scifista42
Wishlist
Some stuff we still need for the project. Thanks in advance!

- An intermission MIDI.
- An INTERPIC.
- An M_SKULL (maybe romero's head or something).

So, one of my maps became the first one, and the other one became the last one even after 4shockblast's map? I feel kind of honored, maybe inappropriately though. By the way, did you watch Dime's stream? He finished my map's last encounter just like I intended (and did myself, after like 40 failed attempts). :)

Order seems fair! Guess mine was a little harder than I expected mmmm? :P
I know I still gotta sort out the INTERPIC...motivation is a lil low again :(

Final (?) fix

Changes:
- fixed HOMs
- added unpegs to crushers
- fixed some texture alignment/choice
- added linedefs in one spot to minimize linedef skip chance
- removed some ambush flags on monsters that kind of trivialized the end fight

Spent way too much time on this map, sorry. :P

I could look into doing sample demos for this on the weekend after I'll hopefully play all the updated maps on stream.

Just a quick question before anyone goes and spends their valuable time on making demos: is it easy enough to change the demo's map slot if I change the map's position in the WAD? For example, if 4shockblast records a demo of my masterpiece (MAP03) and then I move it to MAP08, can I easily change the demo to play on MAP08 instead of the new MAP03?

If I get the motivation to do so tomorrow, I'll fix up Bruisin' for a Cruisin', and make it a bit harder. It's intended to be E1M8 set on an ocean liner. :P I may ask for it to be moved to a much later slot if that's okay. Will provide the updates first, of course.

Obsidian said:

OH DEAR GOD

QUICK, HIDE IT BEFORE IT GETS ON DOOM_TXT AND ROMERO SEES IT!

You mean post it to DOOM_TXT so romero sees it, right?