Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
an_mutt

NOVA III [LINK TO NEW THREAD IN OP]

This is an old thread!! Please click here to check out the new and improved project thread!

=====

You can grab the NOVA III resource pack HERE. (last updated: 6th Aug '16 - vers: 1.2)

DOWNLOAD THE FIRST NOVA III ALPHA HERE!!!!!

Alpha v1 map list:

untitled map by Tactical Stiffy
Calm the Fire by AnonimVio
untitled map by scotty
Crimson Hollow by MFG38
The Crow Comes Last by Angry Saint
El Dorado by Albertoni
untitled map by sincity2100
Khmeer Agul Tan by CWolfRu
Mare Crisium by Benjogami
Beta Three by dt_

-----

Hello!!!

NOVA III is the third instalment of the NOVA series of maps, in which the newer and more inexperienced members of this wonderful community get together to create a fully fleshed out megawad with help from the wider community. This is the full project thread, and will be the place in which maps will be posted to and provided with feedback.

There is currently no deadline for when maps are due. Once we get 32 solidly playable maps submitted to the project, I will be closing submissions and moving on to the mapset's betatesting period. However, please don't take this as an indication that you need to rush your map in order for it to make the final mapset. I will be quite annoyed if you submit something that is clearly low quality, rushed, and poorly thought out! This is supposed to be a project for your best work and most interesting ideas!

We will not be including a typical Map07-style map in this particular mapslot. Likewise, if you map for Maps 15/31 and your map doesn't make either of those slots, please remember to remove your secret exit!

Obsidian has volunteered to help out with a custom boss monster for Map 30.
Please get in contact with either him or myself via private message if you are interested in helping out with Map 30 and the creating of the final boss!

(If we get a substantial overflow of additional maps I may consider a second smaller episode of maps for the rest of you to submit to!)

This is a rough estimation of what maps are going where. They are subject to change!

Episode 1: Hell
Map 01: untitled map by Tactical Stiffy - post
Map 02:
Map 03: Calm the Fire by AnonimVio - post
Map 04: Crimson Hollow by MFG38 - post
Map 05:
Map 06:
Map 07:
Map 08: Behemoth by scotty - post
Map 09:
Map 10:
Map 11: The Crow Comes Last by Angry Saint - post

Episode 2: Jungles, Swamps and Temples!
Map 12: untitled map - Market Anarchy
Map 13: El Dorado by Albertoni - post
Map 14: untitled map by sincity2100 - post
Map 15:
Map 16: Khmeer Agul Tan by CWolfRu - post
Map 17:
Map 18:
Map 19:
Map 20: untitled map - gaspe

Episode 3: The Moon

Map 21: Mare Crisium by Benjogami - post
Map 22: Lunatic Dais by Finakala - post
Map 23:
Map 24: Beta Three by dt_ - post
Map 25:
Map 26:
Map 27:
Map 28:
Map 29: untitled map by Ethanh59 - post
Map 30:

Midis:
Paul D - post is here.
Eris Falling - post

I looked over the texture pack, and I am interested in designing a moon-themed map, if episode slots can be reserved. I also expressed a willingness to create midis in the sign-up thread.

Dibs on a jungle map!

Those liquid gold textures gave me three completely different ideas, I'm SO using them in my own projects afterwards >_>

Oooh I like these textures. My focus is on my silly idea for the moon episode, but I'm interested in playing around with jungle temples and the like after looking at these.

We'll see how things go. Also, on the composition front, I prefer to work with something specific rather than do something somewhat generic and hope for the best, so mappers, if you want something music-wise, feel free to contact me, though I'm quite a slow composer and have a bit of a build-up already of stuff to do so some patience would be needed. Just don't ask for MIDI conversions of stuff, I'm sick of that now :P

Cool! I'll make something for episode 2 most probably, I have already some ideas.

I look forward to seeing the end result. NOVA 2 was better than the first NOVA, so I'll be expecting huge things from NOVA 3.

Best of luck to all the newbie mappers taking part!

Good luck folks! I'll probably swing by once a beta is available and ready for some critiquin'

Also Suite, if you do a Doom Builder stream I'm sure plenty of us will drop to answer any questions you might have ;)

dobu gabu maru said:

Also Suite, if you do a Doom Builder stream I'm sure plenty of us will drop to answer any questions you might have ;)

Very much this! We'll do our best to assist with your mapping when you start learning Doom Builder : >

Spoiler

mark my words, you're making a map for this

AD_79 said:

Very much this! We'll do our best to assist with your mapping when you start learning GZDoom Builder : >

FTFY :P

Goodness, at this rate we will have more E2 maps than anything else combined! Not that I'm complaining or anything, except I don't know how we'll manage with so many Jungle/Temple maps. Do they have jungles and temples in hell, or on the moon? We may find out!! :D

(please make hell and moon maps, folks!)

On 1/17/2016 at 8:04 PM, rdwpa said:

Here's a few recent speed compositions I did (not for this project!), to give an idea of what sounds I like to use.

Absolutely loving the sound of these, especially #2. That midi in particular deserves some fleshing out. If you don't make some midis for this, I will be quite upset.

Got an idea that would be better for one of the secret maps. What theme do the secret maps have to be in?

My, these textures are gorgeous. I am getting some creative juices flowing for a hell map, if that's okay with you. Can't wait to get started.

Beed28 said:

Got an idea that would be better for one of the secret maps. What theme do the secret maps have to be in?

The secret map slots have not been decided - I was hoping that everyone who was contributing to the project could discuss any potential ideas. By all means, if you have an idea, then show me what you got!!

Tactical Stiffy said:

What kind of difficulty should we be aiming for? Or are we just freelancing, and the levels will be ordered accordingly?

Like with the secret mapslots, I'm going to trust you guys will be able to handle stuff like difficulty for the most part yourselves - I'll be arranging maps into the best possible order I can think of, with consideration of mapper requests, and so on. My chief goal is to ensure that every map submitted is fun and engaging. Any map can be enjoyably hard or enjoyably chill. Plus, difficulty is subjective! Maps that I may think are hard may be easy for a good number of Doomworld's more capable players.

EDIT: NOVA I & II were at a similar difficulty level and curve from what I can remember. I guess this is the best base-line for everyone to follow, to begin with.

Krenium said:

I am getting some creative juices flowing for a hell map, if that's okay with you. Can't wait to get started.

When I complete this last map for the final community project I'm working on, I was thinking about helping out by setting up a stream specifically for helping new Nova mappers.

I would open the chat to ask all simple questions/how technical things are built and also to send me their maps so I can show them how to build things/fix bugs with them mapping alongside.

I'm not the most experienced mapper but I know enough to build what is in my wadography. My latest work includes almost everything I have learned so far, so you can take a look and ask about the features and how they work.

I'm all for helping out new mappers as well (as I should be!). Feel free to PM me for gameplay and design advice on your maps!

Paul D's midi dumpola post:

Most of these have minimal volume changes. Not all of these have my metadata, but they're all mine I can tell you that for sure

"American Doom"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkj3f42w14mjric/americandoom2.mid?dl=0
Doomy remake of "American Patrol" marching song

"From Chaos to Creation" https://www.dropbox.com/s/3il9dx1surc4jcc/chaostocreation.mid?dl=0
Midi of a short intro track on Virgin Steele's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell: Part 2" I'm also working on a midi of the song it transitions into "Twilight of the Gods"

https://www.dropbox.com/s/49ap54snmfp53zx/dreamsong.mid?dl=0
A song I heard in a dream and woke up in the morning to make a short midi of

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gqjqsg9xdybnxk/dreamsongmetalized.mid?dl=0
Metal-ed up version of previously mentioned song

"Hunting Adrian" https://www.dropbox.com/s/h5z1cavhrbapxkx/Hunting%20Adrian.mid?dl=0
Mashup remix of DooM e1m6 and DooM 2 map25

"Hush" https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw70u9zxugzkjqo/hush2.mid?dl=0
Originally a midi done up for a NOVA 1 map by somebody who disappeared and never submitted

"Misery" https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vxup54c8hnz65a/misery.mid?dl=0
Midi of the song "Misery" off of Beethoven's Last Night by Trans Siberian Orchestra. Does not include vocal track, however.

"Port Of Evil" https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7insv4s1tdq5mj/Portofevil.mid?dl=0
A very liberal mashup of "Touch of Evil" by Judas Priest and "Port of Adia" theme from Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d4v0cf1bg0c1zi/riff2.mid?dl=0
It sounds too much like some other midi I've heard in some wads but it's okay I guess.

"Teeth of the Hydra" https://www.dropbox.com/s/ik02v14qwkg1npg/teeth%20of%20the%20hydra.mid?dl=0
The first few bars of "Teeth of the Hydra" by the band Omen. Might try to do up the rest of the song as well, will update link as necessary if I do.

Some delicious texture options in the resource pack there. :) I don't think I'll be interested in any of the 'special' map slots but outside of that I'm not sure which episode theme most interests me - I'll let you know once the ideas start to crystallise.

Thanks for organising this!

All right! This is a really good texture pack with some awesome choices and a lot to work with.
I'm digging the themed textures, however "The Moon" pretty much means it's gonna be flooded with Techbases, what with how the entire pack is filled with tech textures. Not that I mind because it's the easiest theme for me to work with, but I kinda wanted to step out of my comfort zone for once.

I'll figure something out before reserving my spot and next time I post here will probably be a progress screenshot. :D

there are not any non-vanilla stuff like blakc imp dual pistol and crap like that?

i want to play the original with only new map

Amph said:

there are not any non-vanilla stuff like blakc imp dual pistol and crap like that?

No, there will be only a custom boss for MAP30.