Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

nefertiti.wad [6 maps]

FDA. Got off to quite a bad start and didn't play very well in general, but I did end up pulling it out in the end.

Neat texture scheme, sort of shoddy and disjointed, yet somehow it works (probably helps that I've always been fond of the green-stained concrete texture). 0/0 secrets, and I feel like at least some of what I did would've more than qualified as "secret" for most maps, but since this map is yakfak-related in some capacity, I suppose that's the sort of bet one might naturally assume would suddenly be off the table.

Very novel with the razor-thin ledge YK bit, but please don't ever do that again. On his military salary Doomguy can't afford the diamond-ceramic codpiece he needs to protect....himself....while shimmying all around those needlepoint turnoffs. :D I also 'broke' the map in there, of course, but it seemed so obvious/easy to do I can only assume this was intentional (and it ultimately counted for nothing anyway because I really wanted those delicious chainguns!).

Quite enjoyable, generally, and surprisingly...easy? Less abject cruelty than I was expecting, though I guess I did feel like you kinda overdid it again with the spitefully-placed damage-floor (esp. the 20% stuff outside the main bounds, where a secret might likely be found in a more traditional Ribbiks map), but that's probably just me being a delicate flower, what with the unusually generous number of medikits you placed around. All things considered, I must say, it's really nice to see you make something that's NOT soulcrushingly lethal once in a while, actually....you won't find someone more open to rough treatment than me, but I suppose we all need time to recharge our batteries once in a while (bones don't mend overnight!).

FDA. Quite enjoyable. Despite some silly tactical mistakes, I managed to barely scrape through the map.

- The platforming element was neat, but as ever the primary challenge felt like fighting the engine and not rubber-banding off a wall into the nukage.
- I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to make the chaingunner platform lift lower. After bleeding away precious health looking for the solution, I eventually managed to press the switch from the thin walkway instead. In hindsight I assume it was tied to the thin platform raise/lower.
- I will echo the remark that the map was quite generous with health and provided sufficient ammo resources. I ended up wasting a great deal of ammo on the revenants and imps because I forgot I had a berserk pack. Even so, I had ample cells for the final encounter.

cool demos, thanks! koren fda was tense. I'll fix the YK switch and make it more obvious how to get up to it.

Demon of the Well said:

Very novel with the razor-thin ledge YK bit, but please don't ever do that again.

I did feel like you kinda overdid it again with the spitefully-placed damage-floor

so do more stuff like that, got it :D

Demon of the Well said:

I also 'broke' the map in there, of course, but it seemed so obvious/easy to do I can only assume this was intentional

nah, just a consequence of mapping quickly and not testing anything

Demon of the Well said:

I must say, it's really nice to see you make something that's NOT soulcrushingly lethal once in a while

these midi are too cheerful, laying the usual smackdown seemed out of place :p

noticed people were saying this wasn't your hardest work but personally I got demolished :)) then again I have died in Sunlust on ITYTD. I liked the level in general and I'm glad you think ICKWALL suits my tunes too haha

FDA

A Ribbiks map which isn't a mega death rape fest, what is this I don't even..

The unorthodox use of color and textures reminded me of a ToD map, by contrast the placement of enemies and ambush scenarios were reminiscent of a Death-Destiny map (I'm looking at you opening scene! :D)

I had a few uncanny situations due to being conservative and preferring to stick with the zerk fists. It's a neat map opting for the low monster count, ambush scenario, however a tactical and cautious approach doesn't really punish the player here as their is viable time to react due to the ample space to manoeuvre in most situations, so I didn't really under pressure much. The most notable example would be the penultimate fight with the large cluster of enemies which looked intimidating at first but their's good space to work with.

By contrast a Death-Destiny map has traps that are setup to inevitably ensnare you in a nasty situation, regardless of a futile will to proceed at a cautious pace. Here I felt the moderate amount of health and ammo seemed to diminish the effectiveness of this style, however it was very enjoyable nonetheless and it'd be interesting to see more of this style with a dose of higher difficulty.

Was this supposed to be a troll? Random damage floor placement (and sometimes it's not even avoidable, so you'll make a jump for map progression and die instantly), dumb pain-chance roulette ambushes, dumb balance beam bits... it's damn near unplayable.

EDIT: Because I hate myself, I went back and got a successful run. I like the red key switch trap that reveals the Vile, two PEs, Chaingunners, and Nobles. The rest... ugh. No.

yakfak said:

noticed people were saying this wasn't your hardest work but personally I got demolished :))

I added hmp to the maps now, hopefully that'll be less of an ordeal :D

Bloodite Krypto said:

The unorthodox use of color and textures reminded me of a ToD map, by contrast the placement of enemies and ambush scenarios were reminiscent of a Death-Destiny map

pretty much my favorite mappers nowadays, so I'll take such comparisons as a compliment

Here I felt the moderate amount of health and ammo seemed to diminish the effectiveness of this style, however it was very enjoyable nonetheless and it'd be interesting to see more of this style with a dose of higher difficulty.

not sure if I'll go much harder with these, I'm mostly just scribbling funky shapes in db for an hour or so and hoping something playable can be made of it :p

Cynical said:

it's damn near unplayable.

thanks!

anyways, I made another map because I was bored this morning.

download [v02]

Wow, a Ribbiks map that isn't too difficult! Cool stuff.
Also, I found an inescapable pit in the blue key room:

MAP02 - FDA

Hello that coral reef like blue texture from SWTW :o

This felt more minimal with ammo demanding a conservative approach, and still retained that uncanny tactical placement of monsters in conjunction with a complementary, devious layout to mask their presence. This was particularly evident at the BK which was fun :D

oi, I should add a touch more ammo on uv I think :D I'm glad you didn't jump into the buggy pit in the BK room

HMP FDA for map02. I love the design, the texture scheme in particular. Giving me some IDEAS. :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qlmpngekd6g5kr0/nf02_rdwpa_hmpfda.lmp

Kind of frustrates me how I still panic in FDAs and get hit by rev missiles in fights I can "reality" if I don't panic. Ignore the headshakes at the medkits at the end. My intended horrible strategy of firing rockets before hitting the blue switch because elite players do that in demos sometimes and I wanted to be COOL would have been easier if the medkits were somewhere else (or if I mapped the 180-degree turn to a key right then and there, lol), but whatever, that would be way too nitpicky. I hadn't read the comments in this thread before anticipating that that pit was inescapable, but I thought it was an intentional troll or something, because quirkiness.

I'd normally have played UV, but you have plenty of FDAs incoming for that and I don't anticipate any other people recording HMP FDAs. Caco fight could probably use a PE or two on HMP as well.

Map01 seriously kicked my ass, I managed to get through it on UV through copious amounts of save scumming. Architecture was eye pleasing, and aesthetically the map was nice, but that lift area was just awful, felt like something a beginner would make. The gameplay was fun though, I had a great time putting that berserk to use, and the enemies were used well and were placed fittingly to the map. I'm glad you made a challenging map that didn't rely on all out slaughter. There was a consistent amount of ammo, and a lot of health was given. It's a shame I had to use it all because of some poor rocket maneuvering on my part.

Map02 was also a serious challenge, however not as deadly as map01. Really cool atmosphere here, there are a bunch of novel gimicks (the scrolling tekwalls, thin ledges to jump across etc) but it seem to work well with the map. I would agree that ammo is a bit scarce, mainly because I can't get to the PE's quick enough and end up fisting an army of lost souls. In the end I had to just speedrun my way to the three switches, which lowered a really unorthodox exit.

I hope you continue this, I like the maps and the vibes they give me. Good job!

Skill 4 FDA.

Again, looks cool, very 'Oneira' or 'Entering Aquatic Desert', I suppose. Nothing much I feel like bitching about this time as far as 'kludginess' goes, either. I saw the pit between the two medikits in the BK area and assumed it was either inescapable or would have 20% damage-floor and a tunnel to a teleporter leading out or something, as some sort of anti-camping measure or the like. Didn't play TOO badly this time (how 'bout that first chaingunner's damage-rolls, huh?), doing fairly well in the BK bit I think, but did almost get myself stuck in the last gasbags fight and thus very nearly ran out of ammo. The balance is there, but if you want to add more ammo in a later version I think my vote would be for bullets, of all things.

HMP FDA.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sa1azhe97ab8imm/nefer03_hmp_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Don't laugh at my horrible BFG shot against the cyber. The floor is really bumpy. My two-shot technique on flat ground is not that horrible, thank you very much.

I had to IDMUS from this track because there was an irritating "puff" sound in it.

That the bridge was bugged somehow was sort of telegraphed by a random square on the automap where no actual feature existed.

I could do with slightly less health (a soulsphere, say) and more cell ammo (like at the cyber reveal). Even after a ton of infighting, there wasn't much. Well, until the end.

Skill 4 FDA.

I liked this the best of the three so far, certainly in play and maybe even in looks. It's very amenable to running around everywhere like a loon, not something one gets to enjoy so readily in many of your maps (at least not without paying the ultimate price). The whole 'activate the yellow bars from the ground below' thing is really, really, really tacky from an aesthetic/concourse standpoint, and some of the blocking lines feel kind of 'wrong', but it seemed intuitive enough and so I suppose it's not really a problem.

My success in the FDA is dumb luck as usual, incidentally. I gave it a second go later to see if maxing it might be tenable (I have some doubts), and on both of those latter attempts I ended up dying to the final spiderdemon of all things, in both cases because I had less health and fewer cells (from not getting lucky and having the cyberdemon merrily ADHD off into some other part of the level for a while) and so had to grab the packs from in front of him before I could fire the BFG again. That there is no healing beyond the one soulsphere powerup does not help in this regard, of course.

'Healing schmealing', I hear you say. Fine, fine. I reckon it probably needs some more ammo, though, either rockets and/or bullets. As is I think a maxkills run is probably possible, but will be way more trouble than it's worth and absolutely no fun at all, involving either laboriously tethering the cyb to every Baron-turret in the joint or absolute pinpoint accuracy + optimal RNG + optimal infighting. Given that this mapset is provisionally about being quirky and bucking modern design mores and all that, perhaps this isn't an issue, but on the other side of the coin I'm sure someone would appreciate it if you put in a ridiculous secret telefrag-chain or some secret crushers or the like. ;)

Demon of the Well said:

Given that this mapset is provisionally about being quirky and bucking modern design mores and all that

mostly incidental. intentional quirks often feel heavy-handed to me. For these maps I'm just listening to yak-midi en masse and trying to do some things I don't normally do. m03 for instance, was designed with this in mind, maxkills be damned :p

(from not getting lucky and having the cyberdemon merrily ADHD off into some other part of the level for a while)

LOL I'm going to use this one.

This is what the start of a max (speedrun) route should look like, I think:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dw026bkwotf4kcn/nefer03_maxroutestart.lmp Plays back with v4.

Of course the start is pretty much RNG roulette, and you should reset if you take too much damage. ~100% HP should be comfortably survivable once the cyber is out.

Ribbiks said:

oh. now there are 4 maps.

Hahaha what a lucky fucking bastard I am. Maybe I shouldn't be so glad, though....I just unwittingly spent a lot of my dumb luck budget (fortune fortune?) on a quick little thing like this when I've still yet to play Stardate part II, which from what I gather is to be THE mapset which forces everyone but the true immortals to play on HMP....

Anyway, it's cool, sort of like chibi-Slough of Despair or something. Dig the darkness, more mappers should embrace it! Really striking visual theme as well, and I actually thought the music track was great this time, so much so it's one I'd definitely like to hear again in another map sometime. Kudos to yakfak (presumably) for that.

Pretty easy once you know where things are, seems like, with the optional bit for the BK that I went to first probably being the trickiest part. After the FDA I played it again in full, had very little trouble. Thing balance is very comfortable in this one even without having to try to make everything infight constantly, especially with the ritzy secret shell cache, perhaps enough so that masochistic types might be able to argue there's actually too MUCH health/ammo (TWO soulspheres???). I think it will make a good yin/yan contrast to the budget-based theme of map 03, though, and so there's really not a whole lot I'd suggest changing in this case. Well....those rockets are totally NOT a secret, of course, but......who really cares, right?

Edit: Looking at it again, that misalignment you can see on the wall across from the BK when you port up there at least doesn't look like it's intentional, although I suppose it could be a Monti reference....

rdwpa said:

LOL I'm going to use this one.

This is what the start of a max (speedrun) route should look like, I think:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dw026bkwotf4kcn/nefer03_maxroutestart.lmp Plays back with v4.

Of course the start is pretty much RNG roulette, and you should reset if you take too much damage. ~100% HP should be comfortably survivable once the cyber is out.

Yeah, the health budget plus how much cooperation you need from chaingunners (and others) vis-a-vis infighting is a big sticking point as far as survivability goes, though polishing off all the Baron-turrets is still definitely the biggest obstacle towards getting maxkills. Jumping down into the RL pit and then fucking right off out of there immediately like you did there is a really good idea that never occurred to me--leaving those kills until the end allows for much more efficient ammo expenditure (e.g. wipe the vile and some of the pigs out with a single concentrated dose of 40 cells) and doesn't complicate most of the rest of run since they can't interfere with the rest of the level, although on the downside I can see the infinitely-tall deal on the return maybe being a mite dicey.

Demon of the Well said:

Hahaha what a lucky fucking bastard I am. Maybe I shouldn't be so glad, though....I just unwittingly spent a lot of my dumb luck budget (fortune fortune?) on a quick little thing like this when I've still yet to play Stardate part II, which from what I gather is to be THE mapset which forces everyone but the true immortals to play on HMP....

hrmph. the idea was to have the exit be impossible to get to alive unless you did the "optional" bk-->bfg areas. I see that didn't quite work out -.-. Also apparently the bfg trap is pretty easy to escape from, I might be a bit more of a dick with that.

I like the way you play in fda btw, very non-concerned with non-threats. very much like how I test these, a minimalist "yep this looks possible, seeya later!" kind of playthrough.

oh yeah, and give sd20x7 a little bit. I'm making a few more maps for it, and in the next beta uv will be a smidge harder across the board, if you dare

Here's a casual UV-run for map04. I wanted to max it, but I forgot completely about the barons (I would've saved ammo by infighting more in the cleanup of the BK fight). Okay, it's the darkness that deters me from two-shotting that cyb, [super small text]not that I'm bad at two-shotting[/super small text]

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6fvm8x3j812ar5l/never04_uvplaythrough.lmp

Hi, Skill 3 FDA's for 1-4. Very quirky yet entertaining maps that certainly feel like the visual counterpart to the music. The general low distribution of ammo added quite a bit to my entertainment. The only thing that really annoyed me was the map01 thin ledge maze.

Favorite map so far was 3, mostly due to the very chaotic nature and my relentless love for Panel texures.

:3 it's pretty cool you got this really interesting set of levels out of my silly tunes, very good stuff all round

I can't compete with teh skills of the people submitting demos, just wanted to bump these good maps

bump. had this half-finished layout sitting around since about when I left this off previously. Was listening to some zzzv tunes today and got in the mood to finish it. uv/hmp implemented.

download [v05]