Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Doomed in SPACE (old development thread)

The death animation of the lost soul/caco foe needs to be changed to be faster. It is slow. In the heat of battle I automaticly shot them an extra time because they don't look to be dying.

e: and why does the doomguy lift the BFG like an old, old man?

I wanted the BFG to seem excessively heavy. If people dislike the slow raise/lower, I can switch it back, I just feel like it's a bit more fair if it takes a sec since it's just so powerful.

What about the lostsoul/caco foe?

---

An early screen of an area. Sadly having up a ceiling border between the sky and the wall had to go because it fucked up everything.

A question: anyone else having difficulty in creating variety with shawn textures?

Second Q is a Q on design: I realized a little to late that I'm making "dark forces in doom" and not a "general doom level". What are everybody creating? I'm using TEKBRON1 to create areas where spacemen enter the battle field. These can be removed if needed be.

(the half opened doors are meant to illuminate their feet so you see them better some distance away. The ceiling is yet the default)

Doomkid said:

I wanted the BFG to seem excessively heavy. If people dislike the slow raise/lower, I can switch it back, I just feel like it's a bit more fair if it takes a sec since it's just so powerful.

I haven't seen it, but the sound of it brings to mind the Rocket Launcher in the Lameduke prototype (By the way, I may not make too much progress for a bit. I just picked up the new Fire Emblem, so I'm going to be a bit reclusive in my free time. I'll still try get work done.)

EDIT: I just checked the new BFG Raise/Lower, and I think the lower should be faster. Because if it's because it's a heavy weapon, it would lower faster, since he doesn't need to be strong to drop it, he could use it's weight to lower it faster

NeedHealth said:

What are everybody creating?

Well, I already had some ideas for a stark lab-type map that I was going to make, but I saw this, and decided to use it for that

NeedHealth, the screenshots you're posting do seem to suit the theme just fine. It doesn't have to be too shiny, a little grit is fine, it just needs to have that overall spacey feel. Also I will definitely speed up the soul death frames.

Lan, that's a good point about the BFG lowering, that's just what I'll do.

Glad that I'm inspiring someone! If it wasn't clear I was mostly worried about overall consistency in the final megawad.
---

I'm having an error that's leaving me stumped.
The idea here is that the sludge will lower to reveal an area hiding below it. However, every decoration that I try to add except a flat wall produces HOMS and I'm kinda stumped. I'm using
Generalized Action -
Floor
Trigger: Switch Once
Direction: down
Target: Lowest Adjacent Floor
Speed: Normal
Model; Trigger
Change: None
Crusher: No

Every area that has sludge in it or under it is tagged to be affected.

I could move the decoration over to a sidewall.....

@NeedHealth: There are a variety of textures you can use that still deliver that space atmosphere, if you see my screenshot I have combined startans, pipes and even bricks in a way still feels spacey when used correctly. Reference Scythe X, this WAD achieves this extremely well without the conventional use of shawn textures.

Based off the screenshot and your description, it seems you are trying to lower multiple sectors, and when one sector is completely surrounded by others then the trigger wont work properly as the lowest adjacent sector is the same height as one another, therefore it simply won't lower because there is no lower sector for it to use as a reference.

This can be easily fixed with the use of dummy sectors, search through the editing category im sure you will find plenty of tutorials on how to use them.

Hope that helps :)

Hey, could you edit (or create a new type of, to prevent breaking in other maps) the barrels so that when the explode, their explosion triggers G1 linedefs? I have an idea where I want a line, when shot, to explode (Courtesy of the barrel hidden behind it), and open up some walls. I could accomplish this with a G1 line behind the barrel, however, if the player should just do enough to destroy the barrel, this won't trigger the line, and the same if they use a projectile weapon. You don't have to, as I have another idea for how I could accomplish this, but this would be the most conventional.

Hmm... Within Boom restrictions, I'm not even sure if it's possible to make blast damage trigger G1 linedefs. The only thing I could think of to achieve that end would probably be heavy ACS work - It would be cool if G1 actions could be triggered by blast damage, I just don't think it's possible!

How about having the barrel kill a keen, which would then activate something? I've even seen barrels used to push voodoo dolls over lines (heroes2.wad, MAP01).

I am almost finished with my map, which I am naming Wheel in the Sky. All that remains is to populate it with monsters.

Img tags won't work for me, maybe because I have too few posts, so here are some screenshot links:
Where you spawn.
The hub of the wheel.

You mentioned a replacement for the demon, but what about the specter? Are there any monsters I should definitely not use? I don't think there's room for a mastermind, but I might include one coop-only cyberdemon.

Would it be OK for me to make a Doom-in-Hexen version (with slopes and stuff) to include in my empyrion wad?

Doomkid said:

It would be cool if G1 actions could be triggered by blast damage, I just don't think it's possible!

I remember a map where somebody tried to use a barrel explosion to trigger a G1 linedef. It didn't work in ZDoom. But I know the blast radius damage of a Rocket will trigger one. You can even wrap the blast around a corner to trigger a G1 you can't see. If you're using Dehacked and pointers, is it possible to have a barrel use a Rocket explosion instead of its own?

Nice screenshot, I like the look!

Effingham, that's interesting, I had no idea. If it doesn't work in some ports I don't want to rely on it, but it's very interesting nonetheless.

Empyre, I welcome you to use and alter you map for your own wad as well. Keen will be replaced with a slower, tougher revenant like enemy, so please don't use him as intended in vanilla doom.

Great progress all around.

Empyre said:

How about having the barrel kill a keen, which would then activate something? I've even seen barrels used to push voodoo dolls over lines (heroes2.wad, MAP01).

Yeah, I was going to use Voodoo dolls if I couldn't have barrels do it. Also, the Keen thing isn't actually a bad idea...

EDIT:

Doomkid said:

Keen will be replaced with a slower, tougher revenant like enemy, so please don't use him as intended in vanilla doom.

Welp, time to play with dolls.

O.o
By cheer coincidence I found the most heavy metal sounding midi this side of the thetabyte and it's from the most unlikely source that anyone can think of. I believe It would be perfect as the intro music if you want that kind of sound.

I'm not going to post it officially on the net but if you want it, I'll send you a link. Just say. Otherwise I'm keeping it for myself.

I have some suggestions for the MAPINFO and ZMAPINFO lumps, including the fact that you need both of those. I am probably telling you things that you already know, but just in case ...

Name the music D_MAP01 etc. This will make it easy to keep track of what song goes with what map.

Add the author's name to the name of the map, like "Wheel in the Sky by Empyre" for example.

In the default map, put something like this (ZMAPINFO version here):

defaultmap
{
sky1 = "SKY1", 0
sucktime = 0
evenlighting
}
This way, you don't have to do those things for each map individually. Evenlighing really makes my map look better. It appears that the old MAPINFO doesn't support sucktime, so that's ZMAPINFO-only.

I appreciate your input Empyre, I saw your post over at ZDaemon and definitely will be using it for simpler MIDI names and Map names/Author credits. I also think some maps will benefit from the evenlighting flag.

I'll probably make my own CWILV graphic using the ones we have already in the resource WAD along with my name under it if that's cool. Using three custom textures in my map also, some moon surface styled textures. Might be helpful to others but you can get them from Valiant.wad if you want to use the same ones I am.

I agree with Empyre about the stuff he said too. Having the MIDI names be D_MAPXX instead of the usual D_RUNNIN, D_STALKS, and such can get tedious when you forget which map uses the second and third named versions like D_RUNNI2 and D_DDTBL3 and such.

And to NeedHealth, I'm sure we'd all love to hear that MIDI. I wouldn't mind hearing it if you could PM it to me. It must be something super awesome the way you praise it.

Finally, progress on my map is good. I'm focusing on finishing the rooms and small details now. Thing placement and gameplay testing coming soon.

If you don't want midtextures to draw through through flats, all it takes is a light level difference of 1. Works in all ports (I would assume) and you can't really tell in-game that the light levels are different.

AD_79 said:

If you don't want midtextures to draw through through flats, all it takes is a light level difference of 1. Works in all ports (I would assume) and you can't really tell in-game that the light levels are different.

Actually I tried that and it won't work, though it might be because the zdoom version I'm using is older...... What I'm trying to say is that I believe that it would be a good failsafe.

AD_79 said:

Holy shit that actually worked. I'm using ZDoom 2.7.1 for testing and it worked.

Hey, Hey, Hey, Fire Emblem hasn't consumed my soul yet.
I got three textures here for you that I'm using in my map.
I made these two switch textures myself in Paint. Set the white to transparent in both textures.
HOLO1 (Regular):
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=931040696994365
HOLO2 (Flipped):
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=931040710327697
And as for my third texture, it's a crop of a texture I lifted from John Romero's Twitter page. The transparent color for this is the pure black at the bottom.
TEETH:
https://www.facebook.com/photo/download/?fbid=931040703661031
Of course, if anyone else would like to use these textures in their own maps, by all means, it'll save you a spot for your own custom texture. Or, if you want to use them outside of the project, again, go ahead, as long as you give proper credit.

I want to get involved with this, but I still don't know exactly how to use my gzdoom builder. You want it Boom compatible? When you say boom is that all boom? like prBoom+? Sign me up for 17. I'll figure this out. boom is the engine, right. that's what I test in?

Doomkid said:

Hey dudes, got the SSG sprite in there in an almost complete state. Still need to change the pickup, but the firing frames are just about done. http://www.geocities.ws/doomkid/dmdnspce.wad

Is this up-to-date?

Edit: I really like this! That's all boom compatible. Awesome! I wasn't sure what boom was capable of. How many maps are on this so far?

everennui said:

I want to get involved with this, but I still don't know exactly how to use my gzdoom builder. You want it Boom compatible? When you say boom is that all boom? like prBoom+? Sign me up for 17. I'll figure this out. boom is the engine, right. that's what I test in?

He means use the Boom configuration in (GZ)DoomBuilder. I personally have been testing in ZDoom, but PrBoom should (in theory) work just as well.

Make your map in Boom format, and I would prefer if you did your testing in Odamex as it's the most basic port this intends to have compatibility with. As long as you use Boom format for your mapping it shouldn't be an issue though :)

The only thing that prevents this from working is a lack of Railgun compatibility for PrBoom (it will simply do nothing as you fire which is rather game breaking as some maps will depend on it at times I'm sure)

I definitely think it will have a good idea for clipmidtextures to be present in all maps and evenlighting in some, unless the author specifies otherwise.

I'll test out Empyre's map now and leave some feedback in a few!