Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[3DGE] Duke it Out in DOOM (v2.2)

Don't ask me, I'm only a modder.

Official homepage of 3DGE: https://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/

EDIT: If you wish it to be more like Duke Nukem 3D then perhaps you'd be better off playing Duke Nukem 3D. The aim here was to merge Duke 3D, Duke 64 and DOOM II with a little original flare as an extra icing on the cake. It does not aim to necessarily simulate either of said games in a accurate manner but rather inspired by, based on, etc.

Two versions less than 24 hours apart?

Well, being home with the flu has given me a lot of time (and being bored as a result) so here's version 1.2. It does feature some noticeable changes since 1.1 which warrants its release. The most noticeable of which is compatibility with DOOM 1 levels, a new gore effect and a few resolved issues.

Enjoy!

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Even though I am using the gloveless addon, Duke's punching animation still used some frames with gloved hands.

The patch hasn't been updated. That's all.

EDIT: Patch updated.

It'll be removed all together. Haven't been able to find a suitable widescreen-friendly alternative.

EDIT: All done.

Suggestion: as in the vanilla game, the Pistol tends to get overshadowed quickly by better weapons, but since it no longer shares the same ammo with the Chaingun, you get far more bullets than you really need to.

I do not know if it is doable, but maybe this mod could introduce the ability to dual-wield pistols as an incentive to use the weapon more often.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Suggestion: as in the vanilla game, the Pistol tends to get overshadowed quickly by better weapons, but since it no longer shares the same ammo with the Chaingun, you get far more bullets than you really need to.

I've thought about this myself, but it's still good for snipping as it is the most accurate hitscan weapon. With the next release I'll be introducing proper headshot mechanics, which will give further use for the pistol.

EDIT: Plus it is a LOT faster than the vanilla Doom pistol.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I do not know if it is doable, but maybe this mod could introduce the ability to dual-wield pistols as an incentive to use the weapon more often.

It is doable, just a lot of work and calculations. I was along those lines myself, but then, the pistol is so fast that a dual version would just seem redundant.

(couldn't resist)

Version 1.4, last update for a while.

Get it here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-it-out-in-doom/downloads

Notable features:

Headshots with unique death animations and quotes from Duke.

Magnum pistol scrapped and burst-fire pistol taking its place. With the introduction of headshots, the magnum is just redundant. Burst-fire pistol uses same ammo type as standard pistol.

Various improvements across the board

Enjoy!

So you argued dual pistols would have been redundant, yet you have replaced the Magnum rounds by a burst-fire pistol? :S

Personally, I do not think the latter makes enough of a difference: after all, the normal pistol is already automatic and has been made considerably more powerful with the headshot mechanic, which makes it overpowered against zombies and Imps.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

So you argued dual pistols would have been redundant, yet you have replaced the Magnum rounds by a burst-fire pistol? :S

Personally, I do not think the latter makes enough of a difference: after all, the normal pistol is already automatic and has been made considerably more powerful with the headshot mechanic (which I like, by the way).

I was toying around with the idea but in the end I decided to add in a secondary pistol which shares ammo with the stock pistol. There are significant pros and cons between the two. I dunno, maybe I'll have it removed. I need to swap out the imps headshot death (it's a little too lengthy for such a common enemy, as pointed out by someone) and the damage multiply needs to be reduced (how much damage is multiplied with headshots).

Dang... I am not used to have so much influence on someone else's work. :O

Anyway, another small issue I currently have with the mod is that kicking an explosive canister will cause it to explode.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Dang... I am not used to have so much influence on someone else's work. :O

I made the changes because I happened to agree with you. Trust me, I won't make all changes people ask for. One person asked for a double-barreled shotgun, I said no.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Anyway, another small issue I currently have with the mod is that kicking an explosive canister will cause it to explode.

Yeah... But so does the fist in DOOM... And the kick in Duke 3D and pretty much most other melee attacks of 90's shooters that feature explosive barrels, canisters, etc. While I could make 'em immune to melee attacks I don't see this as a real issue, to be honest. The mod aims to be entertaining more than realistic, drawing inspiration primarily from '80 action movies with an over-the-top and humorous tone. Duke himself is the embodiment of all 80's action heroes.

CeeJay said:

I made the changes because I happened to agree with you. Trust me, I won't make all changes people ask for. One person asked for a double-barreled shotgun, I said no.

I know, I was merely saying that in jest, as I am surprised to see you not only agree with a lot of my suggestions but also quickly implement them.

While I could make 'em immune to melee attacks I don't see this as a real issue, to be honest.

See, I have never tried punching explosive barrels in vanilla Doom, so I did not know.

However, I do use the kick in Brutal Doom to push barrels into enemies, so I guess I was expecting the same from Duke's Mighty Foot.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Speaking of the Mighty Foot, it does not seem to work when I have the Pipebomb equipped.

The pipebomb is the only weapon without the quick kick and this was unavoidable. It would screw up the pipebombs behavior.

EDIT: The only way would be if I figured out another successful way of doing the quick kick which to date I have not been able to do.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

You can use the quick kick while holding a pipe bomb in Samsara. However, you cannot throw one while kicking.

Samsara is designed for ZDoom that uses an entirely different editing system called decorate. EDGE/3DGE uses its own unique DDF system (data definition file). They are not directly compatible with one and another and both have strengths and weaknesses.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I have a question: do shrunken enemies ever grow back to their normal size after a while?

Due to technical reasons, no. Frozen enemies, however, do return (with 1HP).

EDIT: Once an enemy has been shrunken it counts as a kill.

Does that not make the Shrinker overpowered, though? I mean, it can basically one-shot a Baron of Hell. Even the Expander is nowhere near as effective, as I tend to run out of ammo before I can get to kill anything other than a low-tier enemy.

Also, have you considered turning the Steroids into a consumable like the Beer? Since the enemies are much more powerful now, the placement of the former Berserk pack is now less than optimal, as punching through waves of enemies is nowhere near as effective and gets me killed almost every time.

I really like to thank you for your support and feedback.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Does that not make the Shrinker overpowered, though? I mean, it can basically one-shot a Baron of Hell. Even the Expander is nowhere near as effective, as I tend to run out of ammo before I can get to kill anything other than a low-tier enemy.

It could be argued that these were issues even in Duke 3D. Even if they don't technically die from a shot of the shrinker they become harmless for quite some time and very easy to dispatch of. This is probably why some enemies would be immune to it, which is also true here. Getting a fully functional shrinker was for me among the requirements the whole project, it is a technological feat. I might see about the possibilities about them returning to normal size, but I'm pretty sure there was a reason why I didn't do it.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Also, have you considered turning the Steroids into a consumable like the Beer? Since the enemies are much more powerful now, the placement of the former Berserk pack is now less than optimal, as punching through waves of enemies is nowhere near as effective and gets me killed almost every time.

There are only two quick keys available, ACTION 1 and ACTION 2. The only thing I can think of is if I made the steroids give the player armor or something to boost his endurance.

EDIT: I've begun reworking the shrinkers attack, as I expected there are lot of technical stuff I have to figure out ("bumps in the road"). If all goes well, however, it'll be a lot more reliable and accurate to its source.

It could be argued that these were issues even in Duke 3D. Even if they don't technically die from a shot of the shrinker they become harmless for quite some time and very easy to dispatch of.

Of course, but in DN3D, you had to quickly step on the shrunken monster to make the shot count, which often meant leaving yourself vulnerable. There was at least some sort of risk/reward trade-off, which is absent from your mod.

Maybe the Shrinker could work more like the Expander and require several shots to shrink an enemy down?

The only thing I can think of is if I made the steroids give the player armor or something to boost his endurance.

The Steroids could make Duke Nukem invulnerable as well, like the Berserk item in Doom 3.

Well, good news.

I took a deep breath and submerged myself into the code to re-work the shrinker. Not only is it now more reliable but it also no longer causes enemies to bleed and the monsters will eventually return to their natural size. Drawback is that they count as a kill (for the intermission) as soon as they get shrunk, same thing goes for the freezethrower. There seem to be no way around this. In the process I did also fix a bug with the kill count at the intermission screen (you could get a double count for shrunken and frozen enemies). Next release will feature this along with lots of new custom enemy death animations and improved pipebombs among other stuff.

Any creative feedback would be ideal at this point.