Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Ceremony - Doom 2: single map

Doom 2, Limit Removing, complevel 2, difficulty settings implemented. Doom 2 / Memento Mori / Requiem themed map I made originally for a different project, decided not to use it, so I'm releasing it as a standalone map here.

DOWNLOAD

Looking good! Not sure how useful I am on gameplay feedback considering I've got the playing skills of a bucket of retarded pies, but from what I played it looks pretty snazzy.

Quite entertaining. Here is a careful demo. It was pretty funny to realize that you can safely walk on blood after a few minutes of playing. Late rocket launcher discovery resulted in some amusing moments as well. And lost souls worked nicely with that cyberdemon at the end.

It was chill up untill I was locked up in a claustrophobic area with 2 mancubuses, several chaingunners and lots of imps with no cover.

kuchitsu said:

Quite entertaining. Here is a careful demo. It was pretty funny to realize that you can safely walk on blood after a few minutes of playing. Late rocket launcher discovery resulted in some amusing moments as well. And lost souls worked nicely with that cyberdemon at the end.

Thanks for the demo, it was fun to watch! The map originally had water in it instead of blood but I was too lazy to add waterfall textures so I did a quick find/replace to switch everything to stock Doom textures. Ammo looks kinda scarce if you don't find the aggregated secrets. That berserk would have been helpful during the red key trap I'm sure.

It looked like you had fun anyway :)

Nice map. I'd suggest replacing the backpack with a zerk though, backpack provided nothing of value and it'd be fun to punch out some of the revs here.

The vile who teleports onto that pillar is completely ineffective and easily cornercamped, so since you have an apparently redundant lowering floor action behind the yellow door, perhaps you could lower him into the battle from another location behind the player and make him a little more effective?

That was a good 20 min of pure fun. Loved the stock textures usage and the layout was great. I agree that the archvile is kinda pointless since you can easily dispatch him without any danger. I also thought that the secrets were way too obvious but I guess some mappers/players don't see it as a bad thing. I thought that the monster/ammo ratio was spot on but a berserk pack available outside of a secret would be much appreciated. Overall good stuff.

Here's a skill 4 FDA, if you're in the mood.

Kind of feels like a map for the original game somehow, despite the presence of D2 stuff. Must be the wood/blood/stone look, and the late appearance of the SSG, although in hindsight I suspect I could've gotten it a lot earlier if I had just wandered far north enough. Oh, and the music, I guess. Everything seemed neatly in order on the technical side, although there some noticeable texture misalignments in various corners and crannies.

Quite nicely balanced on a 100% secrets run, although quite a few of the encounters seem to simply assume that the player finds the RL secret early on. All seemed quite doable without it, mind, but probably quite a bit more of a slog in places, especially if one also lacks the SSG (and the chaingun, for that matter). Good usage of demons/specters and lost souls, incidentally, who are often deceptively dangerous due to how they're primed to interfere with movement during tense moments, making them higher priority targets than they normally tend to be. The V-sphere is probably a mite excessive, secret or no, IMO (and it kind of ruins the exit effect!). Your call though, of course.

Hmm.....been a really long time since I've played something you made, come to think of it (I believe the last was an E3 map in the 'lost episode' pack for DTWiD, of all things). Good to see you're still at it.

Thanks for the demo Demon of the Well :)

That was fun to watch, especially this sweet lost soul combo the cyberdemon managed to stick :)

I agree the archvile with the red key isn't very dangerous. At one point there was nothing there at all and I felt the map lacked direction after obtaining the yellow key. I didn't want people to forget what the objective was and I felt putting a monster to protect the red key would help jog the players memory.

I'm glad you guys found the secrets. I agree they may be a little easy to find but the items they hold don't nerf the rest of the map most of the time, so they felt appropriate to me. I made sure each one had some visual cues that the player could connect together, but didn't use the common mistextured walls or unaligned textures or the other overused secret indicating tropes.

Sorry I'm not very nippy about texture alignment. I used to make maps very strictly conformed to the grid where texture alignement was much more natural but I prefer curvy angled lines and its really tiring and time consuming to be very meticulous about it.

I hope I can find a community project or something to donate this map to. I'm pretty proud of it and I don't really want it to drift into obscurity as a single map. Thanks again everyone for playing. :)