• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

[Contest] Doomworld Roulette: Session 3

posting a map so that Alfonzo gets *something* =P

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q24ebbt0kdm7ida/doom46.bmp?dl=1
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xtpm0bhdzfi1ic8/doom50.bmp?dl=1

map is called "Final Twisting Place", the MIDI file is from Daggerfall because I'm lazy and couldn't find anything moody and drumless from teh community in particular

most important stats:
31 Gray tree
46 Tall green pillar
47 Short red fire stick

edit: UV difficulty is partially untested because tough guys are a major turn-off. feel free to test it even if you aren't mapping for this thing, I basically put in two weeks' worth of ideas

I wasn't happy with my initial interpretation of the given theme, so I restarted from scratch yesterday morning. I will hopefully be finished by the deadline.

Sorry but I have to withdraw from this session. I had a lack of inspiration and mostly some unexpected irl stuff so I barely started my map. Cya at the next session!

yakfak said:

here lies the worst fda I've recorded, a wonderful showcase of some of my poorest playing to date :)

fantastic map. Engrossing, oppressive, slightly surreal vibe. I love tyson gameplay and platforming, so that was a win for me. It was fun crawling all over the map geometry, there's quite a few areas I missed (entire RSK route, presumably), so now I'll have to go back and check out the rest.

joe-ilya said:

But the deadline is 18th of April, which is today.

The deadline is 00:00 EST, on the 18th or April. Which it's currently 20:30 EST on the 17th of April. 3.5 hours left.

Ribbiks said:

here lies the worst fda I've recorded, a wonderful showcase of some of my poorest playing to date :)

fantastic map. Engrossing, oppressive, slightly surreal vibe. I love tyson gameplay and platforming, so that was a win for me. It was fun crawling all over the map geometry, there's quite a few areas I missed (entire RSK route, presumably), so now I'll have to go back and check out the rest.

thanks for the demo and the kind words :)) you picked some fairly athletic routes that I'd already implemented secret routes to avoid, hee! finding the red key mostly involves examining boring tree stumps instead of striking stone altars and stuff

So yeah, looks like I won't be able to finish this one on time. Sorry Fonz, I just don't have as much mapping drive as I used to. :/

Wracked Wires

- Complete difficulty settings
- Coop starts and monsters

The Champagne Funeral packed into a Cannibalized Internet

Approach

"The Champagne Funeral"

Sector champagne bottles, one large, lots seated, one dead. Features a hall, church, graveyard and buffet.

"packed into"

The important modifier, hence literally every part of the church grounds and buildings are packed into all kinds of technology and wiring representing the inside of the internet.

"Cannibalized Internet"

With both the giant sentient internet worms literally eating other parts of the internet and chunks of the tech representing the "internet" being removed to piece together the final boss platform, it covers two angles of being cannibalized.

Description

You are Bitly McByte, converted into raw data and uploaded to only the dankest part of the memeternet. Your mission is to find and measure the rate at which it is consuming itself to see if it is a match for how fast social justice warriors are collapsing in on themselves.

She's all over, folks! All two of our contributors can slap themselves hard on the back. The rest of you are dead in the water... for shame.

See you next month!

I finished the map at precisely 00:00, you can check the timestamp on it. But I had to upload it and etc. Here is link: Neon Crater

EDIT: Probably needs significant ammo balancing. (also I messed up the voodoo doll placement lol)

Lucky bastard. Like Indy sliding under the closing tomb and reaching back for his hat.

In future, submissions linked after the deadline will only be accepted if I haven't made a post to call time.

Oi, I see the OP said "available" by the time limit already, so I guess you can exclude it if you want. I also realized that besides being stuck in the voodoo doll chamber that map can't be finished anyways because I mis-tagged the exit floors.

I'll just throw it away or something I guess.

Actually I think bug fixing is OK after the deadline, so if it's only bugs only the initial post time counts, which was fine.

Dang! I was making a map but I didn't feel it. Hopefully I will release it as a standalone release.

@Rayzik: Perhaps there's been a bit of confusion: I've accepted the map, you need only update it if you want it to ultimately be included. It looks the part, as your maps always do!

@BrainMuncher: You're clear past the deadline, I'm afraid, but I'll happily play through and critique your map anyway. One of the catches with this whole time limit deal is that there'll be a guy who's put in a mountain of work without making the cut; the best I can do is make sure that effort isn't completely wasted. Otherwise, the map is yours to dispense with.

@Alfonzo: Understood. I'll get to it tomorrow evening then, since I need to rest for work in the morning now.

@BrainMuncher: Regarding that website, you did use the correct timezone as it was specified 'EST'. But we're actually observing daylight savings time right now in the eastern USA, so actually the correct timezone is 'EDT' (as stated by that website).

Does that maybe mean there was actually an extra hour for submissions? xD (jokes)

Explanation for my map:

Spoiler

Flavour intro:

"Marine, UAC supply shipments are being seized at the docks. Rumour has it some sort of cult is imposing an illegal embargo, for reasons unknown. The port authority can't act, as the dockworker's union is using bureaucratic red tape to stall them. Your mission is to go to the docks, find out what is happening, and put a stop to it.

Spoiler

Interpretation of theme:

A Trigonometric Embargo saluting The Corvine Willy Wonka

The only thing I'm aware of that can be "trigonometric" is a function or equation. However those functions are also known as "circular functions". This doens't help much though, because an embargo is not tangible and can't be circular. But there is something that is intangible that can said to be circular: reasoning or logic.

As a result, the embargo is in place as a result of circular reasoning. The map is also built around a circle for good measure.

I had never heard the word "Corvine" before and had to look it up. Apparently is is to ravens and crows as bovine is to cows. I suppose I could have made wonka look like a raven but that was too obvious. Instead he is "ravenous".

raven:
verb (used without object)
1. to seek plunder or prey.
2. to eat or feed voraciously or greedily: to raven like an animal.
3. to have a ravenous appetite.

I put in co-op and DM stuff but they haven't been tested. "Not CO-OP" items weren't showing up in DM in prboom+ for some reason, though they did show in zdoom DM.

Alfonzo said:

@BrainMuncher: You're clear past the deadline, I'm afraid, but I'll happily play through and critique your map anyway. One of the catches with this whole time limit deal is that there'll be a guy who's put in a mountain of work without making the cut; the best I can do is make sure that effort isn't completely wasted. Otherwise, the map is yours to dispense with.

Maybe you should link to a clock for everyone to use next time then. I could have easily submitted an hour earlier if needed, I only made minor changes.

Daylight savings... strewth. There's no way I can lock out the map now on that blunder - copy-pasted the detail straight over from the last session! Sorry about that, I'll make sure it's included.

Take this with a grain of salt because I am severely out of practice playing doom these days, also didn't finish either map.

@yakfak (played on HMP) Your map looked interesting, something of a puzzle to try to navigate with the surprise teleports. I didn't get very far though, as ammo is very low. After I completely ran out of ammo I managed to punch a cacodemon and two revenants to death, but then I came across a pain elemental and it was good night. Maybe I am supposed to be good enough to punch everything? I might try again tomorrow.

@pinchy I see you like teleporting monsters. It was tough but seemed doable, until I died to the caco trap in the brick maze. Between the tight quarters of the maze, and the fact the cacos can fly over the walls even while blocking you, I was trapped, unable to kill them quickly enough to escape. Maybe I will try again and memorise the layout of the maze to get out quick before I get trapped. Did you test with the ability to run under/over monsters or without?

Again, grain of salt.

np Brainmuncher, thanks for trying teh map and I see what you're saying. there is an element of Excavations-style gameplay to the level, where if you take a bad route you might be left without a crucial weapon or its ammo and be forced to use the berserk fist extensively. basically I assumed players would punch the revenants and pain elementals but shoot the cacodemons and arachnotrons.

edit: haha the finale on your map is super good

Guess I missed the deadline. Unfortunately have 3 assignments due for uni all at the same time and the map ended up a bit more ambitious than I initially though. I'll still try and release it as a standalone at some point. Thanks for the inspiration anyway!

Here is an update for the Neon Crater.

It's at least able to be completed now, and I actually did the right sky transfer things as well. However I sincerely doubt that the gameplay is balanced either in ammo or other supplies yet. I haven't much time left to test it and try it out tonight, so I'll get it did tomorrow or later on this week.