Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tatsurd-cacocaco

Japanese Community Project [Final Version released on idgames]

General Rainbow Bacon said:

The Racist community project.

Uh-uh-uh-uh-uh. ...Question. Can anybody here tell me what General Rainbow Bacon there did wrong with his post?

FuzzballFox said:

I'm surprised American maps don't have mass amounts of racism and fat, French maps baguettes with cheese and surrendering, British maps with tea and rain, and Mexican maps with gun crime and ghettos.

Oh wait.

Was joking, Fuzzball. Don't take it so personally.

Sheesh...

*shrugs*

Fonze said:

rofl this is a horrible turn for such a great mapset. Back on subject, I am having a ton of fun with this; I hope the community over there continues to grow and I hope to see more interaction between each Doom community in the future.

I hope so, too. Japan's not exactly known for Doom players, given the country's native gaming scene.

HavoX said:

Uh-uh-uh-uh-uh. ...Question. Can anybody here tell me what General Rainbow Bacon there did wrong with his post?

Japan is xenophobic, so it makes it look like he's giving an alt name to the WAD?

FuzzballFox said:

British maps with tea and rain

you're saying this as if I'm not working on such a project right now?

Congrats on the release, everybody! I've played through the first 10~ maps and really enjoyed myself! Map 08 having

Spoiler

An automap that was a comic book page

is one of the cutest and coolest things I've ever seen in any map.

Great to finally also see a thread in a language I can understand :)

I noticed a few coop issues during an analysis...

map11: there are two P3 starts in the voodoo doll trap, one should be P4
map18: no coop starts
map26: teleports from P2-P4 start areas are W1, they need to be WR for online ports because multiple players can spawn at those starts and some could remain trapped there

Master O said:

Was joking, Fuzzball. Don't take it so personally.

And if they were joking as well? At least they had the benefit of the refuge in audacity.

Oh me~

But yes this has been amazing to play- tested some of the earlier versions of maps and a couple changes before the final version- so much unique stuff!

Played online and off a few times (not all maps at once though) and it's always a pleasure to see a whole bunch of mappers nearly all of which haven't been seen in these parts before. There are a couple off maps in the set but nothing horrible but some of them are very memorable- and colourful!

Another wonderful project by a community hidden away on their island but with lots of creativity and spirit to make up for it!

Jaxxoon R said:

And if they were joking as well? At least they had the benefit of the refuge in audacity.

I was :V People take things too seriously sometimes!

Cool, a few tunes from my Rock It! music compilation WADs were used in this. Same goes with one of my Project Final Doomed edits of Project Doom's music.

I'm always pleased to make the acquaintance of a Doom scene unfamiliar to me, and so I absolutely will be playing this sooner or later, either as part of a DWMC outing or on my own, if that's what it takes. From little peeks I've had already, it looks like an interesting combination of modern visual design with a more classic style of layout, so gives the impression of a greatly beautified TNT product, interesting for sure.

Comments so far

-Disliked the midi on map 3, super grating for the length of map.
-Map 12 had a broken area in the yellow area, i just know there was
a switch and you couldn't get back out.
-Map 5 (Woodexial) is slotted too early in the megawad. Hardest map
out of everything in the first half.

FDAs for maps 2-6.

Map 02: A bit too much like map 01, perhaps. Seems to be a trend for secrets to have paltry offerings.

Map 03: I liked this one overall. Good sense of place. Low-tier bloodshed. Berserk available for punching stuff. There's a tendency in this mapset so far towards simple closet secrets, which can feel perfunctory. The soulsphere secret was quite odd that way -- a simple closet secret IN a simple closet secret. :) Midi did strike me as out of place.

Map 04 (one funny death): Pretty good map. A bit awkwardly cramped in places (the lava area), but fun anyway.

Map 05 (one death): This map is kind of dire. The actual combat was quite easy, but I died at a slow crusher with 90%+ HP and decided that I didn't want to waste any more time on this map. A fast crusher would have been more appropriate, at least giving the player a chance to survive. -_- The primary weapons from the outset are the least fun ones: the pistol and the chainsaw. The chaingun isn't too hard to find, but on first playthrough it's quite easy to endure the tedium of killing a third of the monsters before spotting it. Then there's a demon+arachnotron mob that is basically nothing but a time sink. Meh.

Map 06: Sloppy play by me towards the end, but whatever. Beautiful midi, quite a strong map. Hmm, the last trap felt a bit underwhelming, but apart from that I liked the combat. Interesting how ammo is semi-tight especially early on and there's a whole bunch of pinkies that naturally must be avoided.

Map order does seem off-kilter; map 04 is more lethal than map 06, I'd say.

FDAs for map 7-9.

I was having mouse difficulties in maps eight and nine due to my choice of surface, but I didn't bother fixing them because I was breezing through the levels. I'd say that maps 4-6 are all harder than these.

Map 07: Eh, the combat doesn't work in this one at all, really; the hell knights and revs aren't able to open the fast door, so they don't exert much pressure. Felt like there should be a vile or something with the last set of revs. Plus it's a "standard 'Dead Simple' arena map", which is sort of passe these days.

Map 08: Had to look at the editor to get out of the bathroom (cool idea, btw). It seems like there was supposed to be a switch that lowered but didn't. I liked the setting and design. I'm not sure what those revenants were for. It was quirky and I enjoyed it though. I had to IDMUS to another track because the music eventually got LOUD.

Map 09: This level is a lot cruder than the rest design-wise and has excessive health/armor. There seemed to be a passable bit of rail outside. Most of the combat is frontal and low-threat.

roadworx said:

thanks to the gorgeous hud you provided, i learned some japanese!

- means 1
= means 2
E means 3

other than that nothing makes sense, lol

Japanese HUD numbers look very cool, would be great to see the English numbers drawn in the same style. Also the percent sign could be redrawn but that's like the smallest nitpick ever.

roadworx said:

- means 1
= means 2
E means 3

They use chinese letters to write numbers, such as 一,二,三,四,五. Of course, you can also write them with conventional japanese letters like いち,に,さん,し,ご.

Thanks to everyone for comments

antares031 said:

P.S.: I was wondering for ages about it; Do you have any plans to update your YouTube channel with new video playthrough?

I focused to this project, so I cannot afford to do it. After I finished the project, I might start a new playthrough.

Octavarium said:

...Noticed a common possible problem all over Map29, not sure if intentional or not:

Well...I will find another a red sky texture. Thank you for a bug report.

Ribbiks said:

very cool! many of the maps are quite stylish. my favorites were 06, 12, 22, and 27. I guess I'm a fan of burabojunior, then :)

I also love map 27. It's so beautiful! burabojunior, he said that he was strongly inspired by your mapping style, like Sunlust.

rhinoduck said:

I noticed a few coop issues during an analysis...

map11: there are two P3 starts in the voodoo doll trap, one should be P4
map18: no coop starts
map26: teleports from P2-P4 start areas are W1, they need to be WR for online ports because multiple players can spawn at those starts and some could remain trapped there

Thanks! I will fix them.

Going to start streaming it in 10 minutes, get in my twitch channel if you're interested.

Demon of the Well said:

I absolutely will be playing this sooner or later, either as part of a DWMC outing or on my own, if that's what it takes.

Ooh, I'd be down for a club play in May. I already ran through the first map or two in an earlier release, and they were a lot of fun.

1) Maps are not pistol start friendly.
2) Map quality is up-down, some are great, some are plain.
3) I've only played 3 levels. Map03 is my favourite so far, I love that surprise ambush from the chaingunners and mancubi, it actually made me jump.

Oddities that I've noticed:
* In Map01, in the crate room there's a crate with one side having a brown crate texture while the other sides have silver metallic textures.

Oh, one question does this have DeHacked?

Dime said:

-Disliked the midi on map 3, super grating for the length of map.
-Map 5 (Woodexial) is slotted too early in the megawad. Hardest map
out of everything in the first half.

rdwpa said:

Map 03: Midi did strike me as out of place.
Map 05 (one death): This map is kind of dire.

Dime, thank you for your streaming. I watched it, though it is an archive.
rdwpa, I'm glad at your FDA. Please keep it up!

Actually, some people say that map 5 is a harder in the early episode. You need a skill to use a chainsaw and a berserk punch effectively.
I'm discussing it with toooooasty, who is an author. This map would be easier. The difficulty of map 3 and map 4 also might be lowered.
I want to respect map authour's music selection as possible, but when many people will complain with it, we will consider changing it.

Salt-Man Z said:

Ooh, I'd be down for a club play in May.

This is definitely my pick too. Should provide a helpful amount of "casual" feedback for the authors.

Map 03: figured out all but one secret, spent aeons trying to figure out how you reach the one in the SE corner of the map behind windows without success.

What's the trick? (I'm in Linux at the time being so opening a level editor isn't really much of an option *sigh*)

Amarande said:

Map 03: figured out all but one secret, spent aeons trying to figure out how you reach the one in the SE corner of the map behind windows without success.

Spoiler

Stand on the marble door/elevator that can be lowered and straferun to the window as it goes up.

Amarande said:

I'm in Linux at the time being so opening a level editor isn't really much of an option *sigh*

Slade? With Wine some other editors also work. There are even tutorials for making Doom Builder work:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-builder/44355-doom-builder-on-linux-how-to/
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/58485-howto-doom-builder-1-and-2-on-linux/

(The first one ended up in some error for me and I didn't want to bump a 5-year old thread because of it and the second one I only found now.)

And with a mighty doublepost I would like to say...

Playing through the beta version of this WAD was a pleasant experience and now that there's an official Doomworld thread for it I wish to make this invitation on behalf of TeamTNS:

We would be glad to play this WAD for this week's Thursday Night Survival on ZDaemon and it would certainly be nice to see any of the creators join us. Not only for our joy but also to see how large groups of marines can tackle your maps and to discover some hidden bugs and possible improvements for final version.

In case a later date fits you better we will be happy to postpone the session to a future Thursday to make the playthrough as beneficial to you as it can be.

Hello tatsurd-cacocaco, I haven't played any wads in about 5 years so I thought i'll get back into the swing with your community megawad and I must say im having a blast!

Just got onto map10 and so far so good, nice mix of different styles of mapping from super detailed to generic detail (pre doombuilder days imo). Map08 and the bathroom was a brilliant idea!

A couple of things I did note, 1. Map02 - has a unaligned texture in the blue key room and 2. Map09 after the red door and a few stairs the outside area has a hom with the railings.

Keep up the good work guys!

Keyboard_Doomer said:

Spoiler

Stand on the marble door/elevator that can be lowered and straferun to the window as it goes up.

Slade? With Wine some other editors also work. There are even tutorials for making Doom Builder work:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-builder/44355-doom-builder-on-linux-how-to/
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/58485-howto-doom-builder-1-and-2-on-linux/

(The first one ended up in some error for me and I didn't want to bump a 5-year old thread because of it and the second one I only found now.)

Ah, forgot about Wine (even though I use it regularly for Icewind Dale 2 and Diablo 3 ...).

That's actually it? I tried that a number of times and never managed it, thought there had to be some kind of hidden lift trigger or teleporter to get over there ... Guessing it takes a near perfect SR50 just for a bit of ammo?

MAP05: Couldn't seem to find ANY of the secrets here. Also ... DOOMGUY NEEDS AMMO BADLY :P

Amarande said:

That's actually it? I tried that a number of times and never managed it, thought there had to be some kind of hidden lift trigger or teleporter to get over there ... Guessing it takes a near perfect SR50 just for a bit of ammo?

Nah, doesn't require SR50 at all. It isn't a hard jump either but I can see how it may be tricky for someone who is not used to straferunning all the time.

Here is a demo showing it off: https://www.sendspace.com/file/ymwyvo

Only SR40 used. Requires good timing and the correct angle above all.

EDIT: It's also possible to jump to the next window without using straferun. I guess that might be the supposed way how to get the secret.

EDIT 2: Possible to make the jump without straferunning to the original window as well, actually. Just needs a bigger run-up.

Amarande said:

MAP05: Couldn't seem to find ANY of the secrets here. Also ... DOOMGUY NEEDS AMMO BADLY :P

I've played through map 8 and I've noticed that there are a couple of what should be secrets, that aren't set as such as well. In map 5 in particular there is a backpack in the room just left of the entrance that ought to be labeled a secret but is not.

Map 5 is great though, difficult and kind of gimmicky, but fun. Monster placement is really good in most every map however a few maps seem fairly ammo starved, at least in the beginning. Makes for a different kind of challenge, but I do like what I've seen so far.

i'd really like to know the origins of the music from map 5, 8 and 11 over here. 8 especially has a really great track.

Doomhuntress said:

i'd really like to know the origins of the music from map 5, 8 and 11 over here. 8 especially has a really great track.

I can tell you map 5 and 8 are songs from my two music compilations "Rock It! v2.5" and "Rock It! Electronic Edition" on /idgames/. They came from a MIDI website called Laura's MIDI Heaven and were in the "Originals" section. Sadly, the website disappeared with all its content and is a parked domain now but thankfully I have saved as much as I could that I used some songs in the original Rock It, Rock It v2/2.5 and Electronic Edition.

I forgot the name of the songs, so you may have to hunt them down by checking file sizes.