Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

Toilet of the Gods [on /idgames]

Updated OP with link to RC2:

- MAP03: Made final fight better.
- MAP04: Removed secret, removed TP lines, made platforming harder, can't exit if you die, cosmetic fixes.
- MAP31: Added a "secret" remix of MAP03 cause I was curious about a few changes that might encourage different routes. Also added more monsters. It's probably harder than MAP03.

Thanks everyone for your words and recordings so far :)

Killer5 said:

Nice, enjoyed watching those attempts :)

RC3 is up now in the OP. Only MAP31 changes, but they're pretty substantial. Hopefully I added enough ammo and cyberdemons! Maps 1 through 4 will only get changes for significant bugs at this point. I've heard and agree with a lot of the criticisms of map 3, but I still like how it turned out enough to not want do any more serious redesigning and rebalancing. MAP31 is sort of my unserious stab at addressing some of the concerns, while also making it more ridiculous cause I can't help myself. :D

edit: whoops I ninja fixed RC3 because some important guys in map31 weren't waking up so if you d/l'd before the edit time below you should probably redownload. :(

The overlapping trees and monsters shouldn't appear in the same difficulties, so I don't think anyone will be stuck. Killer5 recorded a UV Max so UV must be okay. I suppose lower difficulties could have related bugs, but I think I tested that.

I put those trees in there to keep the monsters all packed in even when their numbers are reduced on lower difficulties. Dunno if it really matters, but it felt good to me.

Benjogami said:

The overlapping trees and monsters shouldn't appear in the same difficulties, so I don't think anyone will be stuck. Killer5 recorded a UV Max so UV must be okay. I suppose lower difficulties could have related bugs, but I think I tested that.

I put those trees in there to keep the monsters all packed in even when their numbers are reduced on lower difficulties. Dunno if it really matters, but it felt good to me.

I tested it on Ultra Violence and the enemies didn't move as a result of overlapping trees. I've recorded my Dinosaur Foot level and the torches blocked projectiles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e4bAYJ2njk

i have been trying (in vain) to replicate this for the last few hours across different source ports and difficulties. I can not see any trees in the TP rooms at all on UV, on any source port. On HMP they all TP out despite trees in prboom, zandronum, and zdoom. Its possible to skip the linedef approaching the HK blocks, which stops them TPing in after the switch press. Other than that i cant find any issues whatsoever.. can you post a video of the problem itself instead of some random unrelated torch blocking projectile issue?

The torches blocked projectiles because that's what they do by default in ZDoom-based ports unless you set a respective compatibility option.

Alright, here's RC4. This one will go to idgames pretty soon if no issues are found.

Updates in RC4:

- MAP03: Changed some sector heights to match MAP31, to facilitate monster movement
- MAP03/MAP31: Tried to make some linedef skips harder
- MAP03/MAP31: Left the trees unchanged
- MAP04: Added an extra soulsphere to give some hope for some strats/circumstances

RC4 was the chosen RC, and Toilet of the Gods is now on idgames (see OP). Thank you everyone for your interest and feedback!

rileymartin said:

"Designed for continuous play." Are you joshing me or is that legit?

Every map has a death exit, so... mostly joshing ;)

Maybe I'll try again later, but the emphasis on platforming is just not my thing. Felt a bit like playing Sunder map05 again.

First - sorry for the bump.
Second - OH MY GOD!
It is so good. Really. Ribbiks-wad-like difficulty with awesome aesthetics. Great job! Is this completed so I can vote for it in Cacowards threat? This brought me back to 2013 when I first played Swim With The Wales MAP03. Complete, skill demanding Doomguy rape. Once again, congratulations.

There's a bunch of subtle and less subtle changes, here's some that I can recall from memory:

- east and west sniper revs are now HKs

- more cacos

- cacos come from south instead of east, and have different triggers

- cybers in red courtyard are gone

- cybers teleport into middle when red key is grabbed, instead of AVs when red key is lowered

- more nobles from the south, probably more pinkies from the north. more revs from the west. more AVs in the maze repop.

- middle layout redesigned, more flat and ruinous instead of the geometric lightshow pit

- more cells

All of these changes were meant to address some things that I saw as failings in the MAP03 design. I wanted MAP03 to be more sandboxy and less rigid in the order that things should be done. There are some different and effective ways you can do MAP03, but they're all pretty similar, and it never makes sense (or is even possible?!) to get the red key first. Most of the changes made for MAP31 were intended to make red-key-first more viable and attractive, and I think it did, but probably too much so. It sorta just flipped the "correct" order to do things. I probably added too many cacos and nobles in the process, because I think it's grindier too (despite some extra cybers).

I realized after I made Last Light for SlaughterMAX that it was also a different, simplified attempt at the same idea: to make a large slaughter sandbox, where you go could anywhere at any time, and do things in any order, but all of the different choices would result in something threatening and fun to fight against. It's probably not the last time I'll try. :D

15 hours ago, Benjogami said:

There's a bunch of subtle and less subtle changes, here's some that I can recall from memory:

- east and west sniper revs are now HKs

- more cacos

- cacos come from south instead of east, and have different triggers

- cybers in red courtyard are gone

- cybers teleport into middle when red key is grabbed, instead of AVs when red key is lowered

- more nobles from the south, probably more pinkies from the north. more revs from the west. more AVs in the maze repop.

- middle layout redesigned, more flat and ruinous instead of the geometric lightshow pit

- more cells

All of these changes were meant to address some things that I saw as failings in the MAP03 design. I wanted MAP03 to be more sandboxy and less rigid in the order that things should be done. There are some different and effective ways you can do MAP03, but they're all pretty similar, and it never makes sense (or is even possible?!) to get the red key first. Most of the changes made for MAP31 were intended to make red-key-first more viable and attractive, and I think it did, but probably too much so. It sorta just flipped the "correct" order to do things. I probably added too many cacos and nobles in the process, because I think it's grindier too (despite some extra cybers).

I realized after I made Last Light for SlaughterMAX that it was also a different, simplified attempt at the same idea: to make a large slaughter sandbox, where you go could anywhere at any time, and do things in any order, but all of the different choices would result in something threatening and fun to fight against. It's probably not the last time I'll try. :D

Okay, so is it worth doing map31 after you go through map03? I'm just asking if you would advise it or not in your opinion. I just don't know if I'll have the time to do both map03 and map31 as my YouTube's 10th anniversary is coming up on the 22nd of December as I wanna focus on other wads, so that's why I'm asking for a suggestion or opinion from others.

imo it definitely plays a lot differently, certainly doesnt feel like the same map revisited.... but thats just my subjective opinion. I havent played one after the other though so cant really comment on it from that standpoint

41 minutes ago, Lingyan203 said:

Okay, so is it worth doing map31 after you go through map03? I'm just asking if you would advise it or not in your opinion. I just don't know if I'll have the time to do both map03 and map31 as my YouTube's 10th anniversary is coming up on the 22nd of December as I wanna focus on other wads, so that's why I'm asking for a suggestion or opinion from others.

I'd suggest only doing map31 if you're hungry for more after doing map03 :)  IMO, maps 1 through 4 make for the "complete" Toilet of the Gods experience.

Here's to another bump. This was suggested to me while streaming yesterday and so I grabbed it and spent a couple of hours working through the first two maps. Man, what an ass kicker it is. Takes me back to playing my first platforming/slaughter focused wads and completely sucking at them, and like those at first, I had to save scumm my way through the maps. That said, I think subsequent playthroughs will be smoother as I have strategies worked out in my head now. I had to bail on Map 03 in order to get to bed, but I'll try it soon. Wandering around it briefly, it seems like it's going to be pretty ridiculous and may take a while to map out an initial route like I did with the beginning of Map 02.