Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 5.0: By popular demand!

Yeah the 16 grid is only really limiting if you're trying to do some fancy detailing, other than that it doesn't really affect gameplay all that much. I much prefer 16 tags to the 16 sectors one, though I'm sure I can come up with something for whatever this project ends up being.

Sure would be nice to get those textures... ☜( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)☜

I had the idea of doing "mapslot X 10 = monstercount"

Exceptions could probably be made for secret maps ofc, to mix it up.

And considering the disagreement + unannounced texture wad perhaps May should be a setup month and the rest can be done in June? It's better to have a solid concept than to roll with whatever because ITS ==*MAY*== HEM LOL as if that matters much

dew said:

Why bother with limitations when you have the theme in the bag already, because it's going to take 16 months to release?

Nah.
That was my theme for next year.

How about something like player start is at height -2016, exit at 2016. Or vice versa. With maybe a total maximum height change due to teleporters/lifts of 1024.

Or maybe just 0 to 2016.

Marcaek said:

I had the idea of doing "mapslot X 10 = monstercount"

So far, the only limitation I've seen in this thread I actually like...

Another idea: every level needs to consist of 16 discrete areas that are completely separated on the map (and joined only by teleporters).

And considering the disagreement + unannounced texture wad perhaps May should be a setup month and the rest can be done in June? It's better to have a solid concept than to roll with whatever because ITS ==*MAY*== HEM LOL as if that matters much

MAYhem 2016: Junehem

Pls no small number of sectors, having to do a crapload of merges sounds horrible. Also can't use block sound properly.

The limitation of 160 things/monsters seems to be the most interesting.

We are 1/6th of the way through May already—are we getting those textures (and additional details) soon? If not, it would be nice to at least call off the deadline and save this thing for June.

I plan to push the deadline to one month after I announce final details. I knew I'd be occupied with personal stuff this week so I gave the main restriction. I have given a failsafe to Marcaek in the event stuff isn't posted by Saturday.

I wrote intermission text for the last mayhem, though I don't know if they're going to use it or not. You guys want me to do the same for this one after all the maps are in?

TheMionicDonut said:

I have given a failsafe to Marcaek in the event stuff isn't posted by Saturday.

I don't believe I ever actually recieved this. If you'd like me to take over I'll reconsider it though.

Impie: I would definitely like to take a look if you do.

Good thinking there, too bad there was no failsafe in case of failsafe failure.

This is just embarassing. None of these one month megawads were finished on time and the fastest of them still took half a year, but now the project can't even start on time? Jesus.

There's likely to be a poll starting Monday to decide what to do about textures. Cuurent plan is to combine some of the more interesting restrictions with MAYBE the original 16 grid stuff and run with it through June.

Marcaek said:

There's likely to be a poll starting Monday to decide what to do about textures. Cuurent plan is to combine some of the more interesting restrictions with MAYBE the original 16 grid stuff and run with it through June.

I'd straight-up ignore the 16 grid stuff and just go with the other suggestions. 16 is only punishing to the detail-oriented, which the 2015 project already was :P

Gonna restate that "mapslot x 10 = monsters" is still a pretty cool idea.

Yeah, when I put up the poll tomorrow I'll have slot reservation at the same time. The 16 grid stuff will prob go.