Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[3DGE] DOOM (4) weapons CANCELLED

I did. I was just pointing out that the issue was not exclusive to Doom 4 Weapons.

Anyway, I am away from my computer at the moment. What are the changes in the new version?

So you have decided to get rid of the Supershotgun's alternate mode? Also, I notice the Machine Gun and the Chaingun are still using the same ammo.

Finally, while you have gotten rid of the fists, they can still be made available with IDKFA.

Oh, and did you make enemies stronger? Even with the Mega armor, they can kill me in three shots, sometimes less!

JohnnyTheWolf said:

So you have decided to get rid of the Supershotgun's alternate mode?

Yes, because that is how it behaves in both old and new DOOM.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Also, I notice the Machine Gun and the Chaingun are still using the same ammo.

Why wouldn't they, they're both machine guns. They probably use unique ammo in the game but it makes little sense to me.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Finally, while you have gotten rid of the fists, they can still be made available with IDKFA.

Yes, because you get them from the berserk packs and they remain with you for the duration of the level.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Oh, and did you make enemies stronger? Even with the Mega armor, they can kill me in three shots, sometimes less!

None at all. Enemies were left almost entirely intact.

But is there a reason to use the Machine Gun over the Chaingun as of the latest version?

As for the enemies being deadlier, I meant the Shotgunners. I have been replaying Duke It Out in Doom and they do not seem to pack as much of a punch as they now do in Doom 4 Weapons.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

But is there a reason to use the Machine Gun over the Chaingun as of the latest version?

Yes there is since the machine gun is more accurate, doesn't waste ammo as quickly and has no lengthy start-up. But is, of course, not as powerful as the chaingun.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

As for the enemies being deadlier, I meant the Shotgunners. I have been replaying Duke It Out in Doom and they do not seem to pack as much of a punch as they now do in Doom 4 Weapons.

I'm almost certain the shotgunners attacks were left unaltered here. In Duke It Out In DOOM they probably were tweaked around but don't forget that the armor mechanics work differently in that mod.

CeeJay said:

Why wouldn't they, they're both machine guns. They probably use unique ammo in the game but it makes little sense to me.

They both share ammo in the new game.
Their pros and cons are exactly what they are in your mod as well.

I checked again and there definitely is something different about those Shotgunners.

I turned IDKFA on and made it to MAP02, where I allowed myself to get it at point-blank range by Shotgunners.

In regular Doom II, each shotgun blast takes away 10 hitpoints.

In Doom 4 Weapons, I lose over 30 hitpoints per hit!

How much damage they dish out is random, not fixed.

Just checked, the damage output is identical to 3DGE vanilla behavior. 3 x 3-15 (3 minimum, 15 maximum each with a total of 9 minimum, 45 maximum).

A) I've had a lack of motivation lately
B) The trolling and hate over at the ZDoom forums made it worse
C) There are some technical stuff I can't figure out, and I see no point in continuing this project if I don't.

I don't see much wrong with this mod apart from the skullkeys showing the wrong HUD graphic when collected.

CeeJay said:

God, I HATE it when that happens.

Anyway, that's too bad. Perhaps someone else can take over the project for you...

Jayextee said:

I don't see much wrong with this mod apart from the skullkeys showing the wrong HUD graphic when collected.

Yeah, it's a typo forgot about it.

So I took a look at the ZDoom forums thread.

Oh.

My.

GO-Fuck it, I'm atheist.

Really don't see the deal with those guys, it's not as if ZDoom's the master race or anything (although, *I* chose 3DGE for my own game so I don't think I can be partial here). Download a new executable, bung it in a folder with a copy of doom2.wad (because, oh man, just shy of 14 megs is TINY these days), boom - you can play the new thing. Why is that so hard?

Lowest common denominator, I suppose.

Hope you don't get completely demotivated CeeJay -- your mods (in particular Doom 4 Ever) have been a great inspiration and occasional reference for me.

Well...

I need to get back to work on Duke It Out In Doom in which any case...

CeeJay said:

A) I've had a lack of motivation lately
C) There are some technical stuff I can't figure out, and I see no point in continuing this project if I don't.

Hi CeeJay, been a while since we spoke, the last thing we talked about being the wolfenstein to edge tc I do believe.

But anyway don't listen to the trolls, it always was the same anyway, I first got into edge when the covert ops demo was released, I really did love edge myself and made plenty of mods and did loads of wacky things with it over the years, don't know if its my thing nowadays but people always flamed and trolled over it, ignore them.. who gives a fuck about what they think anyway??

I have always thought that you make mods and tc's for yourself, if other people like them then that's a bonus :-)

Now on to your technical issue, I (and others like lobo etc) back in the day had to deal with png's being a pain, have you tried using A) external pngs and basic mock ups in the wad for alignment or B) using the jpg format?

Its been a good few years since ive looked inside a ddf but I don't mind helping you suss it out.

Hey there.

Liberation said:

Now on to your technical issue, I (and others like lobo etc) back in the day had to deal with png's being a pain, have you tried using A) external pngs and basic mock ups in the wad for alignment or

I have but to no avail. 3DGE treats images like centered graphics. Not HUD or world sprites. Or something like that. It makes things tediously difficult.

Liberation said:

B) using the jpg format?
Its been a good few years since ive looked inside a ddf but I don't mind helping you suss it out.

Pretty sure 3DGE doesn't support JPG format anymore. Besides, it's an awful format for use in games.

3DGE does indeed support JPG, as well as Targa. I will look into removing the hard coded offsets if that is what you are after.

Honestly, PNG for games these days...might want to look into Targa, it has far better support and does not depend on an external library to decompress, since Targa is uncompressed and also supports alpha channels.

Targa? .TGA right?

I thought that was an old format. It's not very common, only come across it a handful of times myself.

CeeJay said:

Targa? .TGA right?

I thought that was an old format. It's not very common, only come across it a handful of times myself.

It is indeed old, but I'm noticing better image quality with Hypertension (yes, they are inherently larger due to no compression) and faster load times. We used to use thousands of PNGs - the same amount with TGAs yielded much nicer caching and gameplay.

I am curious if converting your graphics to TGA with smoothing on would fix that odd "cyan"/etc outline some people are getting. .

Chu said:

We used to use thousands of PNGs - the same amount with TGAs yielded much nicer caching and gameplay.

Really? When I last profiled this stuff in GZDoom, the added compression for PNGs reduced the load times more than it increased the processing time. Of course it may depend on the images' contents.

Also, how can TGA increase image quality over PNG? Both are non-lossy formats so this should be impossible unless the PNGs were somehow badly constructed.

Just tried this, pretty good, although some sounds are a little weird (placeholders?)

To be more specific some of the guns are awesome but others feel unpolished. Although I have to say that I haven't played Doom 4 :D

VGA said:

Just tried this, pretty good, although some sounds are a little weird (placeholders?)

To be more specific some of the guns are awesome but others feel unpolished. Although I have to say that I haven't played Doom 4 :D

Well it is an unfinished project. As for the sounds, I think some of them may have been ripped from the trailers.

On an unrelated note, I just found out about your Doom Forever mod and I am enjoying a lot so far. I do not think it is as good as Brutal Doom, but then again, I do not think the latter runs on 3DGE. Besides, it seems like a nice compromise between vanilla Doom and the insanity that is Brutal Doom.

Graf Zahl said:

Also, how can TGA increase image quality over PNG? Both are non-lossy formats so this should be impossible unless the PNGs were somehow badly constructed.

Sorry, I meant in 3DGE directly (no smoothing issues, etc), I kind of worded that badly - sorry! Lol..