Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dave_Billing

DOOM: The Phobos Incursion Released

So far, it is enjoyable enough.

Could you please make a secrets guide? That would be very helpful for those of us completionists.

Just finished off the whole set. It's been a pretty cool episode and the style has been nice and consistent. Playing through this on UV, I was FUCKING INFURIATED annoyed at some levels, E1M8 in particular. After gitting gud though it was an interesting challenge.

There were some texture issues, including one glaring offset problem and a switch being repeated (though the second one is near-impossible to fix while keeping the switch placement unless you used 3d floors).

Overall, nice.

EDIT: removed that dark picture and replaced it with a brighter one.

PseudoGold said:

a switch being repeated (near-impossible to fix while keeping the switch placement unless you used 3d floors).

Surely you could just stick a panel 1px in front of the upper switch?

Edit: Ah, didn't realize it was the bottom switch that was the issue. In that case, you could also put a 1px depression in its place.

Looks nice, I'll add it to my play queue for my channel.

If you want to name your levels and change the end text, you can use a DEHACKED lump inside the WAD but also a program like DoomWord to create the silver colored name graphics seen on the intermission page. Also, a MAPINFO will let you do this for ZDoom based ports and the engine will produce the intermission level names for you, the same goes for making custom end episode text.

PseudoGold said:

Just finished off the whole set. It's been a pretty cool episode and the style ahs been nice and consistent. PLaying through this on UV, I was FUCKING INFURIATED annoyed at some levels, E1M8 in particular. After gitting gud though it was an interesting challenge.

There were some texture issues, including one glaring offset problem and a switch being repeated (though the second one is near-impossible to fix while keeping the switch placement unless you used 3d floors).

http://i.imgur.com/3f8jgNr.png
http://i.imgur.com/SLfHlt6.png

Overall, nice.

EDIT: removed that dark picture and replaced it with a brighter one.

The texture misalignment in the first picture is deliberate, as are most of them. They are clues ;).

I deliberated over the double switch issue for some time and came to the conclusion that I should keep it, as it does indeed look odd, but in a quirky kind of way, and I liked that.

Glaice said:

Looks nice, I'll add it to my play queue for my channel.

If you want to name your levels and change the end text, you can use a DEHACKED lump inside the WAD but also a program like DoomWord to create the silver colored name graphics seen on the intermission page. Also, a MAPINFO will let you do this for ZDoom based ports and the engine will produce the intermission level names for you, the same goes for making custom end episode text.

I initially looked at using a Dehacked patch, but in the end decided it wasn't necessary. I could add it should I decide to make a later revision. I also contemplated making a ZDoom format version of this WAD, again, I decided against it.

Just finished it, UV pistol start. FDAs:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1623575
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1623582

I liked it, it starts out as fairly standard E1 fair, but gets pretty hard by E1M4 due to the large amounts of sergeants and general lack of health. The difficulty was a nice change, but the amount of health only in secrets was maybe a bit much - some maps would be very hard without finding any secrets, unless you played extremely carefully. But maybe that was your intention?

One thing I didn't like was the inconsistent damage in slime, especially since a lot of it is more or less random as to whether you take damage, because you're in the slime for so little time. I'd personally get rid of the 20% slime damage in all areas except maybe those where you can't get out, and reduce even most of the 10% damage to 5% except in places where the player is doing more than a quick crossing.

E1M8 has some bugs: there's a spectre in the baron fight in a wall, in the alcove with the invisibility, which blocks the wall from coming down. You can also get stuck if you hit the switch to go up to the baron fight and then back off: there's another switch that will lower the platform, but there's no way to raise it again.

Lastly, there are no berserks in vanilla E1 :) I don't think you should get rid of them here though.

Planning on doing other episodes?

Here's a playthrough of e1m7.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8vkjjz79l7tv7bt/phobos17_rdwpa_pt.lmp

I had actually played it earlier in the day, but I quit about 90% of the way through, thinking the level was broken somehow (yeah, knowing a level was once broken has a way of making me bail at the earliest sight of tricky progression, either by looking in GZDB or (less rationally this time) by quitting). Anyway, this turned out to be my favorite one.

plums said:

Just finished it, UV pistol start. FDAs:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1623575
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1623582

I liked it, it starts out as fairly standard E1 fair, but gets pretty hard by E1M4 due to the large amounts of sergeants and general lack of health. The difficulty was a nice change, but the amount of health only in secrets was maybe a bit much - some maps would be very hard without finding any secrets, unless you played extremely carefully. But maybe that was your intention?

One thing I didn't like was the inconsistent damage in slime, especially since a lot of it is more or less random as to whether you take damage, because you're in the slime for so little time. I'd personally get rid of the 20% slime damage in all areas except maybe those where you can't get out, and reduce even most of the 10% damage to 5% except in places where the player is doing more than a quick crossing.

E1M8 has some bugs: there's a spectre in the baron fight in a wall, in the alcove with the invisibility, which blocks the wall from coming down. You can also get stuck if you hit the switch to go up to the baron fight and then back off: there's another switch that will lower the platform, but there's no way to raise it again.

Lastly, there are no berserks in vanilla E1 :) I don't think you should get rid of them here though.

Planning on doing other episodes?

I've released an updated version that should fix the E1M8 bugs, as well as a slight architectural change on E1M4.

I won't be doing any more episodes at this point. And yes, health is meant to be scarce on UV.

My comment wasn't meant to be "health is scarce" so much as it was "health is really scarce, unless you find certain secrets, in which case it's fine." Anyhow, just an observation.

Is this really vanilla compatible? The text file leads one to believe so. In that case,there's a lot of tutti frutti on various stairs throughout the wad. Other than that I'm enjoying it so far (up to level 3).

I'll mention the health thing here too, it's pretty scarce and was under 50% a good amount of the time. Bumping the health up slightly would be a good move since the sergeants can do up to what, 25-30% if the RNG rolls for max for all 3 pellets connecting?

Considering that you made Spawn (great level set, by the way) I'll give this a download, definitely. Can't be passing up on a vanilla E1 set. Cheers.

I played all Maps on UV and can say that its realy fun to play :D

I like the Level Design alot cause it realy feels like E1

I just thought sometimes there wasnt enough health with all these shotgunners :/
Also i didnt realy like the Endfight cause the Area was too small and you couldnt realy use rockets if you are not in a corner ...

But all in all a realy cool map pack

Springy said:

Considering that you made Spawn (great level set, by the way) I'll give this a download, definitely. Can't be passing up on a vanilla E1 set. Cheers.

Thanks. A lot of people complained about Spawn, they reckoned it was too easy. I'm messing around with it again, and I may release a remastered version if there's demand for it. I've fixed a couple of bugs, upped the difficulty level for Hard mode (the previous hard mode is now normal mode, and hard mode will be like pushing a turd up hill with a stick) and I've added key bindings for power-ups. The end boss is a problem though. Too easy. End bosses are probably my biggest weakness, if my Duke 3D episode was anything to go by, lol. Oh, and the boss health meter sticks out like the dog's proverbial, so that might be subject to revision.

DAZZER said:

I played all Maps on UV and can say that its realy fun to play :D

I like the Level Design alot cause it realy feels like E1

I just thought sometimes there wasnt enough health with all these shotgunners :/
Also i didnt realy like the Endfight cause the Area was too small and you couldnt realy use rockets if you are not in a corner ...

But all in all a realy cool map pack

Yeah health distribution is very scarce in UV mode. Plenty in HMP mode though. I will revise it if there's enough demand for me to do so. I want players to be on edge in UV mode.

Heh, this was pretty good. Played E1M1 and a bit of E1M2.

Will play the rest of It, but It really feels like DOOM for sure.

Finished this tonight. These maps were a lot of fun! I played on UV but continuous with saves. The scarce health on UV made things pretty challenging, though it only really tripped me up on one of the early-to-mid maps (forget which) where I saved with something like 10% health just before a massive key ambush. (Probably the most difficult spot in the WAD.) Great stuff, thanks!