Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

Earth - 7 maps for Doom64EX

Looks easy enough, just think a couple of TLITE textures or definitely a decent rock texture wouldn't go amiss

Sorted the above. I'm struggling to show a screenshot of what I've been working on, F5 doesn't work on my laptop and it's an unbindable control...

^ me being a plonker and not having my computer set up right

Just having a bit of a mess about at this stage

You know, you should make a PC Doom texture pack for EX. It would be interesting to see people use it to make maps.

Wow cool work dt_!

Its like classic doom... but with colored lighting and sky tricks (nice work on that btw)

The red lighting in the lava looks great!

Thanks to trying this out for you I can now do simple little edits to help immersion:

Spoiler

Also trying for some verticality, but I think I went a bit overboard. steep steps feel weird to walk down and doomguy is constantly grunting as he descends them.. breaks the atmosphere!
Spoiler

Tritnew said:

The only thing that bothers me is the babies.

Like, what the fuck?

Map name: "Hybrid Breeding Facility"

Every good secret science facility should have grotesque things in jars!

Definitely going to put the twitching bloody stump props to good use in the dissection area

Finished the 3rd map and added a bit to the first 2, should be a bit more variety and some more enemies to keep things interesting. Enjoy!

Hey up, enjoyed the third map, simple but fun. Liked the 'crew quarters' area- I'm a sucker for stuff like that even though its generally not well received. There were a few monsters spawned on steep stairs that are immobile, and that mega sphere secret seems way too easy to find for the reward. Liked the way the la stepped up a gear after handing out all that weaponry. Keep it up!

dt_ said:

Hey up, enjoyed the third map, simple but fun. Liked the 'crew quarters' area- I'm a sucker for stuff like that even though its generally not well received. There were a few monsters spawned on steep stairs that are immobile, and that mega sphere secret seems way too easy to find for the reward. Liked the way the la stepped up a gear after handing out all that weaponry. Keep it up!

Thanks dt, Good point about the stairs and megasphere, I'll sort those out, glad you enjoyed! I always like adding a bit of detail like crew areas etc.

What did you mean by "Liked the way the 'la' stepped up"? All those arachnotrons and the mancubus? or the spawning in of new enemies? I tried to make it so the back and forward in the level would still have some killing!

Really ought to proof read my replies properly. I meant I liked the way the map fills with a fair balance of monsters after picking up all that ammo, it's great blasting loads of low level bad guys with the rocket launcher and the plasma gun seems so much more powerful in D64 than the normal one

dt_ said:

Really ought to proof read my replies properly. I meant I liked the way the map fills with a fair balance of monsters after picking up all that ammo, it's great blasting loads of low level bad guys with the rocket launcher and the plasma gun seems so much more powerful in D64 than the normal one

haha totally agree. Melting former humans with the plasma gun is a joy, and the squelch gibbing sounds in Doom64 are just perfect.

Da Werecat said:

Looks like you forgot to move the player start in the second map after testing it.

Shit, sorry about that, I've fixed this and the other issues with map 3. OP link is updated (earth_101).

The maps are designed with pistol start in mind if that's any consolation :)

5th map completed, city map with many multi-floor buildings. It was no easy task considering you can't do 3D floors or instant portals in Doom64. All the multi levels were done with instant floor and ceiling changes, while the player is in the stairwell. it works great and I was able to add all sorts of details into the buildings to make each floor unique.

Enjoy!

Finished MAP01 - large rural map. All maps moved forward by 1. Next up is to make 2 techbase maps for MAP07 and MAP08, going to try for a very complex and connected style like the "suspended in dusk" mapset.

HexenMapper said:

Finished MAP01 - large rural map. All maps moved forward by 1. Next up is to make 2 techbase maps for MAP07 and MAP08, going to try for a very complex and connected style like the "suspended in dusk" mapset.

I tried what you have released so far. I like it despite being a work in progress. Granted, the first level was design wise interesting, I liked the poisoned water touch, but the rest of the level was kinda boring. In fact for such a large level I was expecting a Cyberdemon or two. So far I'm a fan of interconnected stages and really loved level 4. I only wished it wasn't short as it is cuz I liked the atmosphere set by the hybrid/specimen stuff. Nice touch in level 6 with the Barrels of Fun homage. Speaking about that level, there are some pop-up textures right behind you in the beginning if you look to the building. It's too bad the Doom64EX engine literally hates my integrated GPU...crashes a lot, hence why I stick to Doom 64TC which doesn't crash and has (IMO) more interesting effects despite lacking the original lightning system. In the end, I'd love to see more Doom64 WADs...and no you don't suck at making maps.

Hi Nrg01, thanks for playing! glad you enjoyed most of it. I agree the first map could do with some work. It doesn't have much in the way of "flow" and is just a big open map without too much going on... I'll see what I can do. I'll bring back the atmosphere of the hybrid breeding facility in the last 2 techbase maps (MAP07 and MAP08) definitely enjoy the dark brooding techbase feel, and I feel like I'm starting to really get the hang of detailing them.

Here's a taster of MAP07:

Spoiler

HexenMapper said:

Hi Nrg01, thanks for playing! glad you enjoyed most of it. I agree the first map could do with some work. It doesn't have much in the way of "flow" and is just a big open map without too much going on... I'll see what I can do. I'll bring back the atmosphere of the hybrid breeding facility in the last 2 techbase maps (MAP07 and MAP08) definitely enjoy the dark brooding techbase feel, and I feel like I'm starting to really get the hang of detailing them.

Here's a taster of MAP07:

Looking forward to it along with more dark traps like level 4 when you pick up the Soulsphere. Really felt the Doom 64 vibe in that level, it was my favorite. Keep up the good work!

I'm making good progress on MAP07, its quite a large and complex map so taking me a while. Also have a guy who's keen to help out with some of the Hell maps so we'll see what he comes up with while I'm finishing the last 2 techbase maps.

Have a few screenshots:

Spoiler

7th map added, now also with fixed texture issues (switches were displaying wrong texture when activated - we have now solved the issue)

hows this project coming? it looks good so far :) i hope you didnt give up on the project

19 hours ago, sbw37 said:

hows this project coming? it looks good so far :) i hope you didnt give up on the project

I believe this quote from 2020 (from a similarly necrobumped thread) should give you your answer:

On 12/21/2020 at 3:57 PM, HexenMapper said:

I'm still around, but not doing any mapping or modding these days, focusing on doing music.

Yep, I haven't done any mapping for a few years now. Have finally registered a game music company after doing it for many years informally and am running that instead...

https://tom-jensen.com/

Will be at GDC in San Francisco this year if anyone is around and wants to catch up