Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

[WIP]Aquatex Mapping Experiment (Six Maps Completed!)

Voros said:

but is it WIP or complete?

UV is done, but I'd like to hear what people think before working on difficult settings.

I'm almost finished with my map. It's probably not hard enough given it's position in the wad though. If that's the case I can beef up difficulty. Either way, I should be done in the next week or so.

Voros said:

Doesn't have to difficult. Just fun both in terms of gameplay and detailing.

Considering I limited myself to Vanilla I feel I've got detail down as solidly as I can with the limitations! As for gameplay, I'll let you all be the judge when I eventually post my map. I feel it's enjoyable but I'm biased and have the misfortune of knowing where everything is going to attack from, where all secrets are etc.

Ahhhh! What the hell, still?

Alright everyone, go back to using aquatex_v6.wad. Link is available in the OP.
Those who don't have it anymore, please download it again, pronto. No buts.

I'm going to look into this matter a little further, but i have settled on my decision. This mapset will be made on aquatex_v6. No extra, updated stuff from SLDR packs. Isn't the fact that it's a jmickle texture pack enough?

It's only a small test!

Oh Gothic, your level isnt that hard in terms of enemies, but can be confusing.

The TEXTURE1 lump must be in there. How could it not?
The link is fine. Guaranteed.

I'll just check things out more later.

For me it's working.

But you removed many textures I used, now I have to retexture everything.

I don't like how this experiment is managed. The resources should be a certainty, not a volatile thing.

But I will complete my map anyway, it is always a fun.

EDIT: i retextured everything. Now it crashes when I test in chocolate doom.

I first thought it was my map, but then I created a two sector level with the new textures and it crashed.

The error is
W_CacheLumpNum: 41257988 > = numlumps
which from what I understand derives from something wrong in the flats or sprites resources?

Download.

Map08
Aquatex textures (Tell me if there's any issues / if I was using the wrong version)
Doom2 IWAD
Vanilla Compatible
Freedoom Compatible
Multiplayer Starts
One Deathmatch start (I realised half way through development there's no way this would work as a DM map, so there's not too much point concerning over start locations)
Approx 8 mins of gameplay on first playthrough
Can be speedrun in 1 minute (Assuming you're slightly better than I am, current personal record is 1 min 12 sec)

Consider this map a submission to Freedoom, if the team wishes it to be part of the project.

That was very nice! You really showed off the detail Dragonfly!
Do have a good MIDI for it in mind?

I'll be playing this more to find any bugs and all that. Thanks for the map Dragonfly!

Angry Saint, Aquatex uses an ANIMATED lump.

ANIMATED lumps are a Boom feature. So the texture pack wouldn't work properly in vanilla Doom.

I think I included one of the midis from freedoom that I liked. I am able to hubt for a different midi later on. Perhaps one of Jimmy's midis might be good!

Voros said:

Angry Saint, Aquatex uses an ANIMATED lump.

ANIMATED lumps are a Boom feature. So the texture pack wouldn't work properly in vanilla Doom.

So how am I supposed to create a Vanilla map for this project is I cannot play it in Chocolate Doom?

Ok, I may play it in boom, but it wouldn't be honest I think to call it Vanilla...

Ok so you're making a vanilla format map. As long as it runs in Boom based ports, you're fine.

And why wouldn't your map be called vanilla? You are making it in vanilla format(limit removing is another story, but either way the map format is vanilla). The only reason it's not running in vanilla Doom is the texture pack, not the map.

Voros said:

Ok so you're making a vanilla format map. As long as it runs in Boom based ports, you're fine.

And why wouldn't your map be called vanilla? You are making it in vanilla format(limit removing is another story, but either way the map format is vanilla). The only reason it's not running in vanilla Doom is the texture pack, not the map.

Yes, you're right, but mapping for Vanilla I would like to test my map in a vanilla port, just to be sure.

But I may simply remove the animdef lump and see what happens.

Removing the ANIMATED lump will cause the new flats to not function.

But it will most likely still work. Why go through the trouble? You could use PrBoom's compatibility level feature instead.

^I'll check it out, but why did you remove the liquid flats and ANIMATED lump? Vanilla compatibility?

Although I won't be using it for this experiment, because it would be just plain annoying and rude to the mappers. Plus, maps use those awesome liquid flats.

But, since it vanilla compatible, Freedoom could use it, but that's another topic.

Gothic, there are HOMs in your map, both in aquatex V6 and SLDR tex. please fix this.

And the current thing count is fine for UV. Work from there for the skill levels below UV.

Gothic said:

By the way Voros, I couldn't find any HOM, where did you find them?

In a lot of places. Next to the red door. In the hallway with the Chaingunners (just before the 3D bridge), the room with the blue key, etc

Although it's on aquagoth.wad, I haven't checked your aquagoth2.wad yet.