Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

[WIP]Aquatex Mapping Experiment (Six Maps Completed!)

Voros said:

Texture pack updated. See the OP!

And I've now downloaded it. I started working on the layout for a map over the weekend but didn't have internet access, so the whole thing's covered in greytall. Hopefully the measurements I've used (generic, for the most part) match up well with some of the textures!

Oh, by the way, what was the verdict on custom music?

Dragonfly said:

Oh, by the way, what was the verdict on custom music?

MID file. Keep it seperate.

I want you to give your map and MID seperately, like walter confetti did.

jmickle66666666 said:

hey, this project is cool! as someone mentioned earlier there is an updated version of aquatex that i never released properly, but have lying around so hey feel free to use it : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8943931/doomwads/2016/sldr_tex.wad

has some more things like rock textures and a bunch of cool metals. all free to use for whatever and freedoom

love seeing the progress on this!

So, because I was curious, I looked through and compared the three texture packs being discussed; aquatex_v6, sldr_met (old), and sldr_tex (new).

All of the textures from aquatex_v6 are in the new sldr_tex.

However, there are some issues:

All of the flats from aquatex_v6, except liquids, were also converted to textures and exist in both sections of sldr_tex as texture and flat, both with the same name. I think that only works for ZDoom and UDMF.

All of the liquids from aquatex_v6, except lava, were converted to textures only and do not exist as flats in sldr_tex. Lava exists as flats, but AQLAVAx were re-named to LAVAx, which would over-write the Doom and Freedoom versions of the flats.

Each of the liquids has a new matching 'falls' texture, but only one. Were those intended to be used as a down-scrolling wall instead of animated texture?

All of the other flats in the new sldr_tex also exist as textures and flats with the same name.

There is no ANIMATED in sldr_tex.

There is a 3Mb mp3 in the wad (which I like).

The original sldr_met had ten textures, in each of three colors; dark brown, grey and dark grey stripe. The dark brown color has been removed from sldr_tex. Tan and green colors were added. All the sldr_met textures were renamed. Most were edited. I'll go through one original set individually. All original sldr_met textures were 64x128.

METWB32 - 8 32x32 panel. New version is MPAN09, 4 32x32 panel (64x64). Otherwise the same.
METWB64 - 2 64x64 panel, logo panel on top, plain panel on bottom. No new version. Top panel is MPAN03, bottom panel is MPAN09, both 64x64.
METWH16 - 8 64x16 panel. No new version. One 64x16 panel is the bottom section of MPAN06 (could be used as a step).
METWH24 - 3 panel; 64x48, 64x32, 64x48. No new version.
METWH32 - 4 64x32 panel. No new version. Top panel of MPAN05 is 64x32.
METWH64 - 2 64x64 panel. New version is MPAN04, 1-panel 64x64. Otherwise the same.
METWH96 - 2 panel; 64x32, 64x96. New version is MPAN05. No change.
METWH128 - 1 64x128 panel. New version is MPAN11. No change.
METWV16 - 4 16x128 panel. New version is MPAN07, 1-panel 16x64. New one might look cloned. Original didn't.
METVW32 - 2 32x128 panel. New version is MPAN08, 1-panel 32x64. Lightened a bit. New one might look cloned. Original didn't.

Note: The new MPANxx color texture sets are not the same. The dark grey stripe set has 12 textures, the tan has 10, the green has 11 and the grey has 10.

And now that I finish writing this, I see the original sldr_met pack was decided upon. Well, OK, then I guess this is for @jmickle's benefit.

Oh wait, there's two SLDR packs? Lol, lets just stick with the old one.

No point in adding lots of textures, when most won't be used that much.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

All of the flats from aquatex_v6, except liquids, were also converted to textures and exist in both sections of sldr_tex as texture and flat, both with the same name. I think that only works for ZDoom and UDMF.

There's no conflict in having flats and textures with matching names. The IWADs have both textures and flats named STEP1 and STEP2.

Voros said:

Oh wait, there's two SLDR packs? Lol, lets just stick with the old one.

No point in adding lots of textures, when most won't be used that much.

I was referring to the original one he posted in March and the new one he just posted on the previous page.

esselfortium said:

There's no conflict in having flats and textures with matching names. The IWADs have both textures and flats named STEP1 and STEP2.

Wait. Doom2.wad has an entry named STEP1 in P_START and another one with the same name in F_START? I never noticed that.

Hmm. Maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'Textures' when I was actually referring to 'Patches'.

Would it not be possible to include the metal panel/rock textures in a new aquatex resource pack? Seems silly to omit some of the better textures made available from the aqua/sldr sources simply because you don't know if they'll be used all that much. My map features them quite extensively, for starters.

I don't think having a flat and a patch with the same name is a problem; that's why F_START/END and P_START/END markers exist, to differentiate between the two.

Could you please reupload the texture pack to another hosting site that doesn't ask for my email address?

Dropbox asks for it but doesn't actually require it, just click the X button at the top right of the pop-up box and you can download the file anyway. Better yet, there are multiple urls linking to the same file, and one of these urls will download the file immediately without asking anything - whoever posts links to files on dropbox, should post this auto-downloading url instead of the one that asks for an email.

an_mutt said:

Would it not be possible to include the metal panel/rock textures in a new aquatex resource pack? Seems silly to omit some of the better textures made available from the aqua/sldr sources simply because you don't know if they'll be used all that much. My map features them quite extensively, for starters.

I didn't omit anything (except for SUPP02 and SUPP09).
I'll look at the new SLDR pack and see what it's like. Most likely, it'll be added to the texture pack.

Oh, texture pack link is now in Dropbox.

How's progress going, people?

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

All of the textures from aquatex_v6 are in the new sldr_tex.

All of the liquids from aquatex_v6, except lava, were converted to textures only and do not exist as flats in sldr_tex. Lava exists as flats, but AQLAVAx were re-named to LAVAx, which would over-write the Doom and Freedoom versions of the flats.

Each of the liquids has a new matching 'falls' texture, but only one. Were those intended to be used as a down-scrolling wall instead of animated texture?

All of the other flats in the new sldr_tex also exist as textures and flats with the same name.

There is no ANIMATED in sldr_tex.

The original sldr_met had ten textures, in each of three colors; dark brown, grey and dark grey stripe. The dark brown color has been removed from sldr_tex. Tan and green colors were added. All the sldr_met textures were renamed. Most were edited. I'll go through one original set individually. All original sldr_met textures were 64x128

Note: The new MPANxx color texture sets are not the same. The dark grey stripe set has 12 textures, the tan has 10, the green has 11 and the grey has 10.

Well, I'll see if i can fix most of these. Preferably, the ANIMATED lump.

Looking inside the new SLDR pack, it seems i can easily update the current texture pack used for this experiment. Expect it soon.

Alright guys, the texture pack is up!
Link is in the OP!
Please use this for your maps!

Progress!

Some areas were much more detailed but I'm insisting on making this vanilla compatible, as such, visplanes are causing me to have to reduce the level of detail. I'm favoring architectural detail over fine texturing. Lighting has been simplified in a couple of locations (less 'gradiented', etc)

For some strange reason, if even I upload the texture pack in GZDoom Builder, it doesn't show the new textures in the "edit linedef" menu.

Angry Saint said:

For some strange reason, if even I upload the texture pack in GZDoom Builder, it doesn't show the new textures in the "edit linedef" menu.

That's strange. Everyone else doesn't seem to experience any problem.

I've redownloaded the sldrtex resources file and found out it is without TEXTURE1 lump. This is the reason the editor couldn't use the new textures.

Wtf, my apologies. I keep forgetting that the TEXTURE1 lump is required for new textures.

Fix will come soon. In the mean time, use the aquatex_v6 texture pack.

I haven't checked the latest update but yeah, with the first version of the latest resource pack I just put my own TEXTURE1 in - I'll make sure everything works with whatever the latest resource in the OP will be before I upload my map, which should hopefully be later today.

Oh silly me. I forgot to include Doom 2's TEXTURE1 contents with the new textures.

Will be fixed.

Gothic, that is looking good, but just to make my life easier, please upload your map/music anywhere except Google Drive.

Angry Saint, very interesting. Looking forward to the final result.

Voros said:

Gothic, that is looking good, but just to make my life easier, please upload your map/music anywhere except Google Drive.

Sorry about that, Mediafire was giving me trouble yesterday.
Download