Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Doomworld Mega Project 2016 (v2 is on /idgames)

Pretty cool map, riderr3! But it's rather too difficult for me..
I've played it on HMP and wasn't able to make it to the end, got spammed by revenants' and mancubi's fire.
I liked the challenge, but your map seems a bit too heavy on chaingunners and revenants, and a bit too low on ammo in some places, since there was a part where i had to kill lost souls with a rocket launcher. Or maybe your map just isn't really for my level. Should've played it on HNTR probably.
Difficulty elements aside, i liked the design and non-linearity element in the map. Got lost a couple of times, but everything else is fine. Good map, anyway!

Spoiler

Also, found this baron mural spitting acid quite funny:

lil'devil said:

Pretty cool map, riderr3! But it's rather too difficult for me..
I've played it on HMP and wasn't able to make it to the end, got spammed by revenants' and mancubi's fire.
I liked the challenge, but your map seems a bit too heavy on chaingunners and revenants, and a bit too low on ammo in some places, since there was a part where i had to kill lost souls with a rocket launcher. Or maybe your map just isn't really for my level. Should've played it on HNTR probably.
Difficulty elements aside, i liked the design and non-linearity element in the map. Got lost a couple of times, but everything else is fine. Good map, anyway!

Spoiler

Also, found this baron mural spitting acid quite funny:
http://i.imgur.com/Q3Dv7Lg.png

Its OK with ammo. I completed half map on UV without being killed. Also checked with WadSpy and its shows 0.626 ratio on UV so there is enough ammo. Just try to search items and secrets.

riderr3 said:

Just try to search items and secrets.

Mandatory secrets aren't a good idea if your map is imbalanced without them.

Played Dance of the Satyrs. Here is a demo. Technically well-made but sorry, this gotta be one of the most tedious maps I've played in a while. The author needs to learn about the importance of pacing. He needs to realize that not every area has to be filled to the brim with snipers and all sorts of tough monsters. Also, not every switch has to trigger an invasion and spawn an arch-vile that resurrects everything. Repopulating empty locations is a good way to breathe some life into your map, but at some point it just becomes obnoxious and makes the player feel tired.

Just my onion.

riderr3 said:

I like this kind of stuff on ceilings!

Can't beat a bit of ceiling detail, jazzes up any old room without pissing off the player

joe-ilya said:

Mandatory secrets aren't a good idea if your map is imbalanced without them.

There are no mandatory secrets.

Memfis said:

Played Dance of the Satyrs. Here is a demo. Technically well-made but sorry, this gotta be one of the most tedious maps I've played in a while. The author needs to learn about the importance of pacing. He needs to realize that not every area has to be filled to the brim with snipers and all sorts of tough monsters. Also, not every switch has to trigger an invasion and spawn an arch-vile that resurrects everything. Repopulating empty locations is a good way to breathe some life into your map, but at some point it just becomes obnoxious and makes the player feel tired.

Just my onion.

Thanks for review! I know some people liked my maps but some others are not.

riderr3 said:

Level name : Dance of the Satyrs
Author(s) : riderr3
Build time : 12 days
Editor(s) used : GZDoom Builder, WadSpy
Compatibility: Limit removing
Music track : D_MESSG2 (by yakfak)
Playtesting : Tested with PrBoom-Plus
Difficulty settings : Yes
Bugs : Not found
Author's comments : Map with mostly abstract architecture, with warehouse, slime areas, and courtyard. Tough monster placement.

FDA: catch.
Phew, well, your maps surely do take a while to finish, especially for a topographical cretin like me. Lengthy demo, slightly exceeding 1 hour. Lots of wandering around when I'm not shooting stuff.
In any case - I got exactly what I expected from you, a sprawling map featuring mishmash of visual themes, lots of baddies everywhere (with hitscanner snipers being the backbone of demonic forces pretty much in every location) and not-so-obvious progression line. Not bad, if anything - your style remains unchanged. Yet I can see Memfis' point, even if I don't wholeheartedly agree with it. Maps of this caliber can indeed be tiresome.

Crunchynut44 said:

Level name : Desolate Demesne
Author(s) : Crunchynut44
Build time : 2 days
Editor(s) used : DB2
Compatibility: Vanilla
Music track : Desolate Demesne (by Crunchynut44)
Playtesting : Yes, tested with Prboom-Plus 2.5.1.4 -complevel 9
Bugs : Unknown
Inspiration : Ultimate Doom, notably E2.
Author's comments : In the spirit of E2 there are some odd texture choices, misalignment's etc etc, with emphasis on an interesting layout and straight forward oldschool gameplay.

FDA. After Cereal Killer I thought I should try this one as well, all I can say now is that it's totally different. I became dissatisfied with ways of yore when it comes to user-generated content in Doom years ago, preferring something modern, pretty and fast-paced instead, but this one is still good enough in its field I guess.
Yet at this point I'm about to start holding minor grudges against anyone who forces me to engage hellknights and beyond with merely a shotgun several times in a row... Even berserk pack would be better.

Demonologist said:

FDA. After Cereal Killer I thought I should try this one as well, all I can say now is that it's totally different. I became dissatisfied with ways of yore when it comes to user-generated content in Doom years ago, preferring something modern, pretty and fast-paced instead, but this one is still good enough in its field I guess.
Yet at this point I'm about to start holding minor grudges against anyone who forces me to engage hellknights and beyond with merely a shotgun several times in a row... Even berserk pack would be better.

Thanks for the FDA and for playing man! Haha apologies, I have to admit I always feel a little guilty for the people that don't like those kind of scenarios, thanks for the feedback :D

Screenshots:

Level name : The Nephilim
Author(s) : DAZZER
Build time : 3 Days
Editor(s) used : GZDoombuilder,SLADE 3
Compatibility: G/ZDoom
Music track : paranoid.mid
Playtesting : Tested with ZDoom
Difficulty settings : No
Bugs : most should be alligned
Author's comments : something for map 1-10 cause its not that long but has some difficult parts in it :)

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3ty1ckg99q76ur/thenephilim.7z

Level name: The Not-So-Secret Path
Author(s): Dgemie
Build time: Not counting planning, since November 2015(but probably less than 10 hours)
Editor(s) used: Doom Builder 2, XWE
Music track: t200.hmi from game Terminator: Future Shock, or, to be precise, the MIDI conversion from an unfinished Duke Nukem 3D mod "Duke Terminator"
Playtesting: Tested with doom2.exe and PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.3 (complevel 2)
Difficulty settings: No
Bugs: Textures on one wall in the last hallway are not really aligned, but otherwise none that I know.
Inspiration: Many maps
Author's comments: This is what was going to be my DMP2015 map. Everything up to the red key room was designed in 2015 (when I didn't really understand what I wanted to have in maps), the rest was made two days ago in a creativity drive influenced by procrastination and being somewhat stunned.

Download:
https://yadi.sk/d/bSH-CmOvvje2K

Before I'll go (no matter I'll be there on this week) I want to post this:

(screen made with "no monsters" flag

Level name : So we begin again
Author(s) : CWolf
Build time : 3-4 hours
Editor(s) used : GZDoom Builder
Music track : HACX Intermission
Playtesting : PrBoom 2.5.1.4 with -complevel 2
Bugs : existing of this map?
Inspiration : HACX Intermission music
Author's comments : don't expect it to be long. It's just an "entrance" for vanilla part of DMP'16 from me.

EDIT: Oh I'm dumb asshole. I forgot to put a link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dror98ab430a9b0/CWOLFDMP16VAN.wad?dl=1

It should be possible to go back up with the elevator as well.
Edit: Well, I changed it anyways, as well as that alignment problem I mentioned(although the changes are probably for the worse in the latter case). Same link.

CWolf said:

Before I'll go (no matter I'll be there on this week) I want to post this:

(screen made with "no monsters" flag

Level name : So we begin again
Author(s) : CWolf
Build time : 3-4 hours
Editor(s) used : GZDoom Builder
Music track : HACX Intermission
Playtesting : PrBoom 2.5.1.4 with -complevel 2
Bugs : existing of this map?
Inspiration : HACX Intermission music
Author's comments : don't expect it to be long. It's just an "entrance" for vanilla part of DMP'16 from me.

Ok, cool, but the map?

Also lots of new maps here!

RanhDoomer said:

a question: can i use 3d floors and slopes on the map?

Of course. You can use any ZDoom/GZDoom feature you want.

Otherwise, (G)ZDoom maps wouldn't have been allowed.

lil'devil said:

Of course. You can use any ZDoom/GZDoom feature you want.

Otherwise, (G)ZDoom maps wouldn't have been allowed.

Thanks!

Shit, I thought Doom 1 textures counted as well. Sorry ya'll, jumped the gun on that one.

Level name : The Map With Class
Author(s) : Ilya "Joe" Lazarev (joe-ilya)
Build time : A couple weeks (No rush, taking my time)
Editor(s) used : Doom Builder 2, slade 3.
Music track : Rush - Limelight (From DWANGO 6)
Playtesting : Vanilla doom (Doom 2 v1.9 .exe)
Difficulty settings : Only for UV, NM and multiplayer, too lazy for the rest.
Bugs : You can find a drawseg overflow near the red key card in vanilla doom.
Inspiration : DWANGO series, real world aspects and my brainz.
Author's comments : Slapped together a bunch of DWANGO rooms that I liked, put pieces of my mind among the rooms and added extraordinary non-linear progression.
I like how it turned out better than I myself expected.
You can finish it in 10 or so minutes if you just go to the exit, but it takes even more time to explore the rest of the map.
Link :

A2Rob said:

Shit, I thought Doom 1 textures counted as well. Sorry ya'll, jumped the gun on that one.

You can still redo your map without the doom textures, if possible...
From what i've seen from the screenshots looked pretty good!

Cool map and cool music choice joe. Love the 90's deathmatch aesthetic. Monster density is maybe a bit high for my taste but overall I enjoyed trying to survive and it was somewhat challenging too. Here is a demo I recorded.

This room was my favorite.

Level name : Mass Defect
Author(s) : A2Rob
Build time : Couple weeks
Editor(s) used : Doom Builder 2
Compatibility: Boom
Music track : Aliens, Say Your Prayers (Bobby Prince)
Playtesting : Zandronum, GZDoom, ZDoom
Bugs : None that I know of
Author's comments : Took some inspiration from skillsaw's maps. Mainly looking for critique on difficulty and challenge

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1k6lemtnsh3z1x/MassDefect0.wad?dl=0

Spoiler

Sure hope I didn't fuck anything else up this time