Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

MOM SIMULATOR 2016: NOW WITH VALLEY DEMO!

It's 1:30. You're ecstatic that last period band practice was cancelled, giving you the excuse to ride with your best friend Jake (who just got his license and a sweet convertible) and get on the computer before your sister claims it first to look at boy band pictures. Yuch! Vaulting over the passenger door in front of the driveway, you run across the yard to the front door, open it with reckless abandon, and you slam your tuchus into the computer chair, then fire up DOOM.EXE... before realizing Mom got home before you did. Uh-oh

"Aren't you supposed to be in school, young man?"

WELCOME TO HELL MOM SIMULATOR 2016

Wait... What?

DO YOU FIND YOURSELF ALONE? DO YOU MISS YOUR MOTHER'S CONSTANT NAGGING WHILE PLAYING DOOM, EVEN IF SHE WAS ANNOYING, TO REMIND YOURSELF THAT YOU'RE STILL ALIVE AND THAT SOMEONE ONCE LOVED YOU? HI, BILLY MAYS HERE FOR MOM SIMULATOR 2016, THE REVOLUTIONARY SOUND MOD FOR THE ULTIMATE NOSTALGIC EXPERIENCE. SIMPLY LOAD IT IN THE COMMAND LINE WITH YOUR USUAL DETERGENT, THROW IN YOUR FAVORITE MODS, AND FIRE IT UP. IT'S JUST THAT EASY.

What does it do?

With this wonderful nugget in your command line, you too can experience the thrill of your nagging mother from your childhood! You should call her more often, by the way, she's worried sick about you!

Simply put, this mod simulates a maternal unit. Mom is wondering why you're still playing video games and not eating her "award-winning" meatloaf. She will come by periodically to tell you that you still exist on Earth along with the rest of us poor working saps, and to leave that front door open - she's not running the A/C when it's 72 degrees outside!

Potential Features:

• Thirteen clips from an authentic mother of three in Brooklyn!*
  • Using the Nag-O-Meter(tm), customize the frequency of Mom's nagging from a gentle reminder to a full-on "GET YOUR HOMEWORK DONE" assault!
  • Custom haptic support through the "Computer chair nudges" option! (Eternity Engine Exclusive!)
  • Ability to load your own custom Mom sounds!
  • It's not just for Mom - additional modes and environments available, such as "Dorm Room mode", and "High School '94 in the Valley"!
*Actually just me screaming into a mic like an idiot

Choice quotes:
  • "Leave the door OPEN!"
  • "What, are you glued to the chair?"
  • "Don't you have homework to do?"
  • "That noise is driving me crazy!"
ADDITIONAL MODES!
  • Dorm Room Mode: You're out of high school, and in college, with its own share of annoyances. Enjoy random door slams, stamping of sock feet a floor above, muffled giggling, idiots running down the hallway screaming "GO STATE!", and more! As a bonus: Activate prank mode for the ultimate experience! Can you play Doom through a piercing fire alarm set off by a drunk freshman? Let's find out!
  • High School '94 in the Valley: Didn't have a nagging mom, but a nagging everyone else? Don't you worry, we got you covered. This preset includes your snot-nosed brother banging on your bedroom door, your girlfriend having a conversation with the answering machine, and your best buddy calling to remind you to get that term paper done - it's all here!

Where can I play this already?

Yeah, about that. Here's where everything deflates, huh? This exists -- just only with mom nagging. She can't be controlled yet. Furthermore, all other features do not even exist yet. I didn't expect this to launch any further than a funny idea on IRC, but now I'm knee-deep in this shit, so might as well go the distance.

So you need help, huh moocher?

In short, yes. I have little knowledge in setting up the menu sliders and other options, and how that would reflect in the scripts.

Good news, the audio clips are DONE, save for the fire alarm, various sounds for dorm room mode, and maybe a few more things. Finding/creating sounds will not be a problem.

If this sounds like the worst idea you've ever fucking heard of - or the best idea you've ever fucking heard of - you're welcome to help out in any way possible. I will be putting this project on GitHub so you know I'm not blowin' smoke here. Hell, I may figure this out on my own sooner or later, but I have confidence that this can be made a reality. I'm already halfway there, anyway.

VIDEO!!

DOWNLOAD??

YES! it's happening! GET IT HERE! (0.01a)
(Click the little down arrow on the top right of the page)

Valley demo is: HERE!

NOTE: You cannot load both demos simultaneously. They will be combined at a later date.

EDIT: https://ufile.io/b5f29 Google fucked up, so have this. Why no file sharing service for Doomers?

Changelog:
(0.01b): 11/15/16: Valley Edition. No other changes.
(0.01a): 11/15/16: First revision. No other features other than Mom for now.

Thanks to:
  • #doomwiki where the idea first spawned
  • #doomtwid for further idea bouncing
  • #ZDoom, for putting up with me
  • TerminusEst13 for EVERYTHING
  • Ling who said this was "very convincing"
  • Bloodshedder, who said this was "very stupid"
  • Michael B. Schwartz, who came up with the idea of an immersive "Mom mode". He created the "Valley" sounds, once forever lost to obscurity, until now.

You have to applaud people that work on wads like this. Pretty much everyone will open the thread, check out the video, post "heh", and never think of this thing ever again. And yet someone is actively working on it, adding new features, writing changelogs, etc. Now that's what you call being passionate.

heh

Those goddamn videogames will suck out your brain...
TBH I expected this to be a Your Mom simulator that'd turn every enemy into a Mancubus or something. (hahahha get it, you're mum is fet!)

Can there be a slider ranging from "neglectful" to "overbearing" that adjusts the period of time between nagging? Also maybe a menu option that sets this value at random to simulate emotional instability.

Jaxxoon R said:

Can there be a slider ranging from "neglectful" to "overbearing" that adjusts the period of time between nagging? Also maybe a menu option that sets this value at random to simulate emotional instability.

That's what I plan to do. I'm learning as I go along!

Pointless suggestion, but have you thought of making a special edition "Joel's Dad Simulator 2016"?
"Joel? Joel!?"
"Did you download boobs again, Joel?"
"I do taxes Joel. Fuck off Joel."