Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: UAC Ultra

My attempt is here ( made it in ~1h48 ).

Almost got SKAGged desperately trying to rush... :)
I felt quite satisfied after bypassing most of the bosses here and there, but eventually it wasn't fast enough. Props to Alfonzo, 40oz, Pj and Krypto as usual.
Good luck, DotW... :p

Excellent pick, this one, with its unique gritty style. I've played it once or twice since it came out, and thus I knew what to expect.

Six people of twenty-two have survived so far, which is well up on previous outings. I mean, UAC Ultra isn't a particularly hard set, but all the same; a very impressive result. Runs from some of our ironman stalwarts are still to come! Place your bets.

Octavarium said:

Died on map 10, Skagway, in about... an hour and forty or something? So, would have lost anyway but I'm still happy with it. Will edit this post with a link when it's done uploading, since I used GZDoom. Uh, I set the compat to strict, but I think map 7 broke anyway, the mancubus platforms didn't rise, so this demo's probably "illegal" :C Oh well.

Anyway, I've played through this several times in the past, as it's easily one of my favorite level sets ever. Definitely deserves the Cacoward it won!

Spoiler

Uninteresting fun facts, the music for Skagway was the music for map 1 of Ol' No Name for most of its development, and the music from map 5 (Hardware) was going to be used for 2 until I decided to make it (probably too) huge.

i think you should set g/zdoom compat to 'boom' for boom format/complevel 9 wads

This wad is certainly not a cake walk. There are a lot of traps on every map and if you are running it for the 1st time you will get surprised at some point and die. Once you know all the traps it's a little easier but that can be said about almost any wad. The fact that there are so many survivors is more contributed to only having 11 maps. I assure you all who survived knew the wad very well and in the case of me in krypto, knew how to handle every scenario optimally.

I'm astonished it took this long for someone to die on MAP04, to be honest! The number of botched attempts at just brute-forcing it down the platform segment has caught out a number of players, including myself. Tough luck, heh.

Just finished this, this episode/miniwad is one the best I have played ever. Holy shit, the gameplay and the aesthetics and the various novelties (new monster, hazard suit sections, pressure plates you step on etc)

Awesome!

Here's my entry.

Map03 death due to cornering myself in a large arena. Sometimes resorting to a corner works, but not this time.. I blame the hanging body.

After recording this I did a console resurrect and played the rest of the map with deaths and without being recorded. Skagway is difficult.

Video will appear when it's done uploading.

Here's my blind attempt which I made over a week ago but didn't have time to upload until now.

Demo or YouTube:

Unfortunately, I suck at platforming, so dead on MAP 04. In my defense, I was playing in GLBoom+ which didn't have always run enabled, so I had to hold down Shift the whole time I was playing.

Also, check out 13:31 for the funniest arch-vile kill I've ever done.

Doom version: ZDoom 2.8.1. Freelook disabled.
Time Elapsed: 01:36:15
Location of death: MAP10 - Skagway
Cause of death:
Spoiler

Ambushed by archviles and barbecue'd brilliantly in a pit of molten mozzarella.

Good fun though.

Wow, it seems like I spoke too soon; just look at all these fresh new deaths! And there's a Jimmybro, too (can we get a Perthbowl?). I'll check these out and update the OP in due course.