Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Benjogami

Brown and Red [1 map]

This is a single Boom-compatible map made for the Vinesauce mapping contest of 2016. It's a bite-sized slaughter map. Ultra-Violence is intended to challenge the best Doom players, while any moderately experienced Doom player should have a good time on Hurt Me Plenty, and the lowest difficulty is implemented too.

I'm bad at naming stuff.

Download:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/bandr

Here's Joel playing it on HMP:

https://www.twitch.tv/vargskelethor/v/98675791?t=50m08s

The idgames version fixes a sequence break and adds coop compatibility, otherwise it's the same as Joel's version.

Screens:

This was a pretty cool map Benjogami! I was afraid that Joel might get overwhelmed given its a slaughter~ish map, but he handled it pretty well.

Great job!

Thanks! Yeah I was impressed how well Joel dealt with it, even without finding the BFG. It's unfortunate that he didn't, cause that room is also a sort of joelshroom altar. Ah well, whatcha gonna do.

You might want to edit the sky a little bit... These dots stand out too much I think, especially in the brown parts.

Played on HMP, since I'm not in the mood for using saves or for hard play now. Well done, nicely suited for speedy play, except for one (major) detail: finding the BFG should override the slow bars at the end, because the BFG really sweeps through everything quite quickly. A voodoo doll scroller stuffed with blocking decorations that are flagged only on UV is the typical setup. The script can stop the slow bars and then lower them to the floor a lot quicker.

Memfis said:

You might want to edit the sky a little bit... These dots stand out too much I think, especially in the brown parts.

Heh yeah, all the textures were taken wholesale from Sunder, and Sunder's red sky is pretty bad. But my idea was "a small taste of Sunder for the masses" so I just went with it.

rdwpa said:

Played on HMP, since I'm not in the mood for using saves or for hard play now. Well done, nicely suited for speedy play, except for one (major) detail: finding the BFG should override the slow bars at the end, because the BFG really sweeps through everything quite quickly. A voodoo doll scroller stuffed with blocking decorations that are flagged only on UV is the typical setup. The script can stop the slow bars and then lower them to the floor a lot quicker.

Oh yeah that's a good idea, thanks.

rehelekretep said:

i literally have no clue how to survive the first indoor arena (the chaingunners up-top set-up) :(

There's definitely some bad RNG to be had there, but usually, at the opening, if I stood to one side such that the near chaingunners couldn't shoot me and the far chaingunners were blocked by the advancing monsters (esp the pinkies), I'd survive long enough for them to be blocked/distracted/killed by the other monsters. Then some combination of rockets and running around spamming plasma and hiding behind columns finishes it up. ;)

Love the opening area. cramped, pressured SSG action, ooh yes.

For the second area I found myself wishing for something "between" how you did HMP and UV. Like... either a few more enemies on HMP, or give me a megaarmor or soulsphere on UV. The skill 4 balance seemed relentless there.

Last area, ooooi. I kinda wanna see some UV demos to see what the intended strat is. no armor, the cg/av on the ledges tore me apart every time. I had no problems on HMP coming in with 200 armor and less enemies coming in. Apparently there was a secret bfg, so that could've changed it up quite a bit I suppose.

Cool to see more stuff from ya btw, looking forward to future releases!

Ribbiks said:

Apparently there was a secret bfg, so that could've changed it up quite a bit I suppose.

Just played this on UV. There is no BFG but a secret Megasphere and some rockets that are basically mandatory to find for the final fight.

I found the campy approach to work the best for the two larger fights, as running around ended up being more punishing. First, sitting in one of the Demon tunnels and camping the two pillars near the entrance in the final area while alternating between them before getting walled in. The Chaingunners and AV's made running around a no-no, especially since you're limited to Stimpacks and running out for health in the centre guarantees more damage than you gain back. Fun map though.

I concur with Ribbiks wrt the big fights. Gave the map a spin upon seeing it on /idgames, definitely requires a bit more fine-tuning on UV, as things are rather dicey in both the penultimate and the final area. Even the secret megasphere I took into the finale gets vaporized very quickly with all the chaingunners and AVs on the upper ledges, don't even want to think how painful it'd be with the intended supplies.

I was working on a max intermittently ever since rehelekretep's comment, but you beat me to it with much less effort :D

The strat shown for the last fight is basically what I was trying, but with more camping behind the pillars near the end of the fight. Thanks for your feedback guys, and thanks for the cool skies Fuzzball!

For entertainment purposes - here's my dope strat for the 2nd fight, I'm starting to feel I'm the only one who seriously considered using something as metagamey - and risky - as this; the trick is to use the infinite height to the player's advantage and to try to keep the right angle to make autoaim choose cacos above and not pinkies below. Probability of a lethal outcome is rather high (especially if you're as bad at handling the rl in cramped quarters as I am) since the latter is easier said than done, but on the other hand - the job gets done fairly quickly should everything go according to plan. For more reliability, switching to ssg once cacos get dangerously close is a good idea, though obviously it's slower that way and might require some fancy dodging in addition.

Nothing interesting to show in the final fight, and the demo wouldn't be a max anyway since I can't force myself to kill so many perched monsters without yawning, so the recording stops after the demon/caco wave is taken care of. Not before one of the rev missiles reaches me of course, it's much more fun that way.

Demonologist said:

For entertainment purposes - here's my dope strat for the 2nd fight [...]

Ah yes, that nest of revs and AVs was added after bemused found that spot in testing. As you can see, they didn't really solve the problem, but the added delay of having to kill them made the strat risky enough that I was satisfied. I ended up using that spot in my max attempts, since it felt quicker and more reliable than other stuff. My favorite outcome, requiring some help from the AVs, is to AV jump onto the narrow ledge above, at which point the rocket autoaim and distant revs are no longer a problem, and all there is to do is hold down mouse1 and dodge caco balls.

Downloaded it a long time ago, finally had the chance to play it. The opening area was indeed great. I wouldn't say it went downhill from there, but it just didn't feel the same.