Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zapzop

Name a wad that deserves a (another) sequel

JDoyle said:

I know someone willing to write some music if this happens ;)

DO NOT TAUNT ME FRODO

Not a sequel, but I'd love to see someone else do something in the vein of Phocas Island 2. I want to be able to experience the mystery and exploration. Two things that are impossible when you know the maps in and out.

Re:Osiris 2

JDoyle said:

I know someone willing to write some music if this happens ;)

That's very encouraging, because I loved your original music for Osiris, and I really enjoyed mapping to your track Crawl for TNT:Revilution. I'd totally be down for this project because it's something I've thought about for years. I was a total Osiris fanboy in the '90s and used to correspond with Glenn Payne. I looked him up recently and checked out his website, and listened to some of his comments about his Peace Corps days. Solid guy, that Glenn Payne. I didn't contact him, though. It would be super-cool to send him screenshots of an Osiris 2. I'm sure he'd be pleased to hear that you got in on it.

Vorpal said:

DO NOT TAUNT ME FRODO

Heh, I don't think anyone's taunting here. You want a piece of the action? Maybe lay some Egyptified AV smackdown on us? All I'm looking for is people to step up and say I want in and I'm willing to start a project, either Osiris 2 or Realm of Chaos 2 or both.

If I was to lead such a project, I'd be thinking that since Osiris is a 5-map minisode, maybe it's better to go for a full episode of 10 or 11 maps instead of a megawad, which is a long stretch for the Eqyptian theme, and which could possibly be released as early as next year. However, if people really wanted a full megawad, we could come up with a story broken down into episodes where there's partly Eqyptified environments before the full-on Egyptian finale. We'd obviously need a lot of mappers for a full megawad. That could be the deciding factor.

We'd need at least one DeHacked master -- Obsidian, for example ;) -- to deal with the original resources and make certain that all of the famous conflicts, such as the Spider Mastermind showing up, are resolved, and to make sure there's no longer any need for a batch file. All the textures, Things, sounds and other resources have always been free to use, as stated in the text file. Only Jeremy's music was off limits. But now we have Jeremy already on board. ;)

Probably anyone who'd be interested in joining this project is aware of the original 3-map version, I, Anubis. That one had a really cool flamethrower that was replaced by a modified Plasma Gun in Osiris. We might want to vote on which one we'd prefer to use. Then there's the matter of whether we want to bring back the Spider Mastermind as an active monster instead of a sound, and I think they converted the Cyberdemon into something else, too. I always thought it would have been awesome if they'd turned the Cyb into this giant hawk-headed Anubis monster, maybe replacing the rockets with one or even two flamethrowers. I'm not capable of undertaking such work, but if there's anyone who could do it, that's something to seriously consider.

In a very general sense, I'd say that the original mapset's emphasis on mood and atmosphere should be retained, but that encounters should be much nastier, since even back in '95, people, including myself, complained that it was too easy. I'm itching for a chance to use those Plasma Gun King Tuts in ways far more vicious than the original maps.

So that's a little spitballing. And hey, I don't have to be the leader. If someone else wants to lead it, or if it should be a society of equals, fine by me, I just want in on it. :)

Osiris is a big big favorite of mine but I'm too preoccupied to contribute. Although if I can provide one bit of input it would be to avoid the "Osiris 2" name, since it complicates matters if the original crew ever wants to come out of hiding some day.

Vorpal said:

Osiris is a big big favorite of mine but I'm too preoccupied to contribute.

You can't blame me for trying to put the hook in you. ;)

I'm not really worried about the name issue, but you're right to bring it up. At least I know I can track down Glenn Payne and ask for his blessing. With Jeremy, that would make two-thirds of the original team, leaving only Marshall Bostwick to object. If necessary, a new name can be conjured up like Revenge of Osiris. Now all I need is the courage to actually launch this project. :D

Let's see.....

One of the first things that inevitably comes to my mind when this question (just as inevitably) pops up would be an E2 for Double Impact, which remains one of my all-time favorites not only in the Phobos setting but in OG Doom as a whole, thanks to its sprawling, mysterious layouts drenched in the blood of countless fodder enemies. Deimos as a setting has come to appeal to me more and more over the years, and I would love to see what RottKing and Ralphis might do with it, as its surreal/supernatural diegetic elements allow plenty of room for some of the cool off-template stuff they already did in the original WAD, ala the unforgettable E1M8. That aside, more of the same general gameplay from the original but with an expected degree of escalation in peak bloodshed attendant with an E2 difficulty curve is something I would greedily lap up without hesitation. And, gasp!, perhaps an E3 peek via E2M9?

Unloved 2 was also something I long coveted, though at this point I've pretty much accepted that it's realistically never going to happen, beyond the partial demo/alpha test that was around for a while, which looked to pick up more or less where the original left off, marrying violent, crass mob-based combat with a striking psychological horror setting. While it's not for every taste and certainly had some rough edges, I always felt like the coolest thing about the original is that it was able to combine eminently bloody Doom-y gameplay (inc. its mostly tasteful usage of bestiary monsters) with a type of setting more comfortably handled in other/later engines. There are many WADs I replay periodically; it's one of few I play at least once yearly.

In a broadly similar vein, and unfortunately even less likely to ever happen than Unloved 2, would've been a Happy Time Circus 3. I feel like talking too much about that WAD (or the original) in detail perhaps does a certain disservice to those who've never heard of/played them, but suffice to say there's very little in PWADing history quite like them, and if you've a taste for sandbox exploration crossed with schlocky surreal horror, they're not to be missed. Unfortunately, moreso than anything else mentioned in the thread, this is really the sort of thing that would have to be the product of a singular vision--HTC: The Community Project is something that would in all likelihood be an utter disaster (and not the charming kind of utter disaster), and given Shitbag's long absence I reckon we're left to wistfully cherish what we've already got.

I remember how thrilled I was when Eternal came out with Epic II, a full 32-map sequel to the original Epic, which was a 7-map episode, or thereabouts. I have always hoped he'd do the same with Hell Ground (or, failing that, something in a rather Blood-themed vein), which remains perhaps my favorite of his episode-length releases. Hell Ground is thematically loose and diegetically rather laissez-faire (and full of known/familiar Eternal gameplay tropes, of course) to begin with, and so I suppose it's arguable that a Hell Ground II might basically amount more or less to a loose collection of 30-ish thematically and stylistically varying Eternal maps, but, uh.....so?

I've also long hoped for a sequel to Speed of Doom, which despite more rough edges was a rollicking outing in Almian combat waters combining a head for atmosphere with a willingness to experiment with a lot of strange/interesting gameplay ideas (some of which are incredibly daft, granted, but not without charm). The existence of Resurgence muddies the water here a bit, but at the core of the original is the 1-2-1-2-1-2 tradeoff between Joshy's and Darkwave's maps, and I think it would be interesting to see what such a collaboration would look like in 201X, especially considering Joshy's newer, much more airy/expansive mapping style. SoD II as 30-ish big, gloomy maps with a progression curve running the table from "Plutonia" to "Epic Slaughter"? Count me in.

Plenty of others I could name, of course, several of which have already been mentioned by other posters (Going Up and Plutonium Winds pt. II chief among them), although upon reflection it strikes me that the greater number of WADs I most feverishly anticipate are not sequels (or at least not sequels per se), but part of their own nascent legacies, which I think speaks very well for the fruitfulness of the community.