Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ika

Red Sky - New Game Released

Hey, I hope this is the right place to post this;

I've made a game that's very Doom-Like, but doesn't run on any kind of Doom engine derivative, even though the gameplay is very much in the same vein.

Its got 16 levels and takes about two hours to complete, the gameplay puts it in the same genre, even though it plays pretty differently. The custom engine made for it will give it a different game-feel because of how the physics and stuff work. The gameplay has a lot more projectiles and the level design is pretty different. The graphics look slightly better than doom because of the light-maps I added in.

You can watch the trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S3-WhfLXjc

And download the game here:
https://ika.itch.io/redsky

I hope you guys like it!

I have to be critical here: the video didn't show anything particularly interesting to me. I can see that it has a lot of ripped monsters, and the level design seems to be all over the place. I can't make out any coherent theme, and when it comes to games that slap a bunch of ripped sprites together you can quite literally play a bazillion of WADs that do exactly that.

Also: not to mini-mod or anything, but this topic feels rather out of place since this is neither a mod nor a WAD. Just a friendly tip.

I wasn't sure where I could post it, so I asked someone on IRC and they said I should post it here and the mods would probably move it if it wasn't the correct place.

That's a fair criticism, Its got a theme where it goes from "industrial" to "old castles", but that's about it. The enemies don't copy doom though, and they all behave in their own unique ways, so nothing in the game will feel like a carbon copy of any kind of doom enemy or weapon. The graphics are all over the place because I cant draw at all. The levels are somewhat similar to each other, but there are groups of levels that have different themes, and I showed them all out of order.

Heh, most of the graphics feel like placeholder, I hope you can find a good sprite artist. I am not sure if you fan use resources from realm667, not sure about the licenses and such, but there is some good stuff there.

You really should have a "death" animation on the projectiles, like in Doom's plasma shots. So they don't look like they are vanishing, it looks kinda janky now.

Are you going for a first person bullet hell game? If so, it can work. Maybe some enemy projectiles roll on the floor and the player has to jump over them.