Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Mek's Box 'o Skies! - v3, look, up in the sky, more SKIES!

Mechadon said:

Essel already answered your question here, so I'll say that if you or anyone else would like to use these in a vanilla mapset, let me know and I'll gladly chop up any sky texture into the needed patches.

Yes please. Preferably the hell skies.

Mechadon said:

That sky, as well as the starry sky with Saturn on it, was actually made to be a recreation of the TNT starry sky. The original TNT skies were going to be used in THT: Threnody, so I ended up making my own version to replace it (and the others).

Oooh, nifty. TNT's skies barely held up over time, but were inspirations for both Revilution and Devilution. Would love to see redone versions of them and other PWAD skies of legend that arent too great in today's age.

Mechadon said:

I believe the original stock image for that sky was actually flipped like that. I flipped it so it would look more like heavy hanging clouds...... If you would like, I could fiddle around with it a bit and attempt to make a variant like that.

Ah, I see. I should use that trick to design a cloudy skybox. Nice idea. :)

I tried to make one, based on your skybox texture. But it didn't go well than I expected from in-game, unfortunately. I should try a different method next time.

That's a pretty nice combination idea antares! I think your only issue with it are the yellows in the upper half, otherwise it seems like it would work very well. I might take a stab at it as well if I get a chance.

antares031 said:

http://puu.sh/tU2yK/0acab09726.png

I tried to make one, based on your skybox texture. But it didn't go well than I expected from in-game, unfortunately. I should try a different method next time.

antares01: I think that looks great! (Is that the one you made, or is that the texture you started from?)

Way ahead of you Death Egg. Unfortunately, HAZESKY and space ones can be used, the rest are based on pictures from the internet, according to what Mech told me.

kb1 said:

Is that the one you made, or is that the texture you started from?

I combined three sky textures created by Mechadon, and one from Hexen (which is slightly modified by myself with a starry night scene). Then I added a sun with lighting effect in the middle.

Beautiful work as usual, Mech! I'll be sure to use one or two of these in some upcoming work. Thanks :D

HOLY SHIT!!! That's some beautiful skies. Definitely I'll try these...

whoa that veiny organic one on the bottom is hella surreal

More of those organic ones would be spot on for hell environments. Maybe one that could be used with a Warp/Warp2? Tentacle and face ones are really nice for those effects. Might be better as a backdrop to another skybox texture (ae; mountains, skeletons, demonic structures) though. Gorgeous skies all around; certainly hope a CC5 uses them.

Edited by SArais

Yea, I actually wanted to have a few more hellish sky options, so I made a couple specifically for this update.  The flesh sky in particular I wasn't sure if it would work, but it came out pretty cool in the end I think.  I may try to make some more like that in the future if possible.

On 8.2.2017 at 8:01 PM, antares031 said:

0acab09726.png

Very nice one! Might use it for a DM map in the future! :)

Any of these new skies public domain also? If possible,  maybe for future versions you could find a way to differentiate free use ones in the wad itself? 

These are nothing short of stunning. Thank you very much for sharing your work! I've been on the look out for new sky textures, but I never expected to see something of this quality! I will make sure to credit you if I include some of these in my future projects :).

On 7/22/2017 at 5:52 PM, Death Egg said:

Any of these new skies public domain also? If possible,  maybe for future versions you could find a way to differentiate free use ones in the wad itself? 

The best I can say is "I don't know" because many of them are made up from stock photos I've collected over the years.  And I probably wouldn't able to find sources for the majority of them.  A few of the space skies can probably be considered public domain since the star backgrounds are hand-made and the celestial objects most likely come from NASA images (which I believe can be used for anything, correct?).

These are amazing!
That said, I'm curious how hard it might be to make some of these into actual skybox textures.
I could probably pop a lot of them into a 3D program and map them around a cylinder, but getting images for the top and bottom planes would be challenging...

On 06.08.2017 at 7:21 PM, CrazyDoomguy said:

Here is my first sky. In some times I publish my work :)

dark.png

Ummm... dude you picked up wrong thread for show it. Looks alright btw.

Fantastic job man, those skies are epic. thank you so much for your hard work. can't wait to use them sometime.

Thanks for sharing Mechadon, so far only briefly looked thru about a 1/3 of em and got to say, lots of em are really breathtaking. MAGSKY is a personal favorite:)