Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seidolon

Plain ol' Doom 2 Community Mapping Project

Can I claim MAP14?

Minor caveat: I don't know for definite if I'm doing it, got a map of my own to finish first then seeing how I feel about this. Will let you know as soon as possible if I'm not doing this. I have an idea for a map, and want to do it though.

I'll tentatively make a claim for map23 if that's ok.

Okay, you can have MAP23.

I just assigned AD_79's map "Boiling Point" to slot MAP28, because we're running out of hell themed slots. What we need most of now is urban/industrial themed maps for the mid-game section.

Seidolon said:

I just assigned AD_79's map "Boiling Point" to slot MAP28, because we're running out of hell themed slots. What we need most of now is urban/industrial themed maps for the mid-game section.

Neato. The map might be a bit easy for the slot but for now that'll work. Things can be shuffled around later, eh?

I started working on a quick Sandy-ish speedmap today (should be doing more important things but I have time), was hoping to just drop it in here but at the rate slots are being claimed I better grab a spot for it. MAP17 please!

joe-ilya said:

Thanks captain obvious who always tries to prove me wrong about the smallest things.

I'll try not to shit up the thread like you then in that case.

Anybody claiming MAP07 at all? Just curious if the usual stich is going to be the thing.
Edit: I derped- apparently so!

@AD_79 When I edited your map to add skill levels, I made certain enemies more difficult. For example, some zombiemen were set to easy skill, while I placed a sergeant on them and set them for medium and hard settings. I did that with a lot of enemies and added a few more here and there. I tested it out, so it isn't complete overkill. If we need to we can shuffle it around after everyone else is finished.

EDIT:
@joe-ilya That map looks pretty cool so far. I'm just confused as to whether I'm seeing other textures there that aren't from doom 2. Also, is that a 3d floor at the building on the right, or am I just seeing things?

^ That's cool. I'd love to play the edited version and see the gameplay changes for myself.

By the way, here's MAP17. No added resources this time :)

Download Demanufacture

Once again I don't have difficulty settings or MP stuff in. I'm done with mapping for the day, heh.

If you want the edited version, you can get it here. If you don't like some of the changed I made, let me know so I can fix it.

I'll be trying that new map of yours shortly, but it looks promising just from the screenshot.

Just game map17 a play. It definitely captures the looks and feel of Sandy's doom 2 maps. Only thing I can complain about was that it was very confusing for me. Also I could not for the life of me figure out how to get into the blue key room. Ran around the map for a good 10 minutes until I gave up and noclipped inside.

^ I was definitely considering just making the entrance to the BK room have a standard switch texture (as opposed to the different-texture-secret-entrance it currently has), but I figured I'd give the current version a try and see what people think. It can always be changed later!

EDIT: Played through the edited 28. Really like it for the most part. I would suggest easing up on the hell noble usage slightly (in particular: I think thing 503 could be a revenant on UV, and thing 508 could either be an HK on all difficulties or just flat-out removed). Aside from that, excellent work.

I just finished MAP17, and I really like it. Some clever features indeed, like trapping you between the hell knights, and the lift that you need to teleport up to get on. That switch in the blue key room did confuse me as well, but after pressing use on that whole little area, I discovered it. It's up to you if you want to change it to just a normal switch. I don't mind either way.

In the interest of not annoying people too much, I've changed it, heh. Re-uploaded.

MAYBE i'll take slot 15 or a possible hell slot. I don't know. If I do take slot 15 or have another one assigned to me, i'll map accordingly, but if it IS map 15, I'm going to wait til the two maps I'm sandwiched between are done and do mine as a transitional map.

Maybe we should ALL pitch in on Map30? I've seen a couple of other projects that do this.

Okay, sounds good. I like the idea of us all pitching in for the final map.

Also, we need to start thinking of a good name for this project. Any ideas from any of you guys?

@7Soul Sorry, but first come first served. If you're interested in helping out with another project. I'm thinking on making a sequel to this later, except with TNT: Evilution. Stick around so that you can get a map early on when that project comes around.

EDIT: If you want to make MAP19, it will be a city/industrial themed level.

Lol damn these slots filled up fast! I had an amazing idea for a map 11-19 and bam, they're all gone!

Is map 20 still open though? I'd love to take that if it still is.

Yeah, MAP20 is open. In case you're wondering, maps 12-20 are supposed to be industrial themed, so if that's what you were looking for, then you can still do that.

EDIT: So all that's left now is the final level, and the two secret levels. The final level is going to be a collaboration between multiple mappers. It should be a hellish arena with an Icon of Sin bossfight. The secret levels can be just about anything. Maybe make them a callback to Doom 1 levels or something like that.

AD_79 said:

By the way, here's MAP17.

You know it is possible to jump from the exit ledge to one of the lowering platforms and get the blue key almost immediately and therefore skip basically the whole map? I don't know if that was intentional or not.

Wonderful, thanks!

Presumably Map 20 should also be a transition to the hell themed maps too, or are you not wanting to stick that closely to the Doom 2 formula?

I was thinking perhaps I could do an industrial themed map where in the distance you can see a hellish fortress rising up between the human buildings, and the map is spent slowly making your way into it. You won't spend long actually in the fortress (it'll essentially be a fancy exit room) but it'll allow for a nice transition into Maps 21 and onwards.