Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

If there is a willing soul out there...

... ok. Here's the deal- I'm working on like, 4 different map projects right now, but one of them, I wanted to make starting atop large cliffs, where looking around, you can see you're high up (basically meaning something like an alex parson's level, except higher up). Now here's the very big thing- I CANNOT do large open areas for the life of me. Here is a screenshot to prove I'm not joking-

angelfire.com/ga4/blackvoid/doom04.jpg

Yeah- I'm bad, bad, bad... can one of the many members of doomworld lend me just some of their time, to slap me together some sort of cliff arrangement like that? I will surely give you the credit you deserve, it's just that I'm good at making the tight areas- not the open, fresh air, cliff type things. The level will then proceed to branch off into a rooms and the such... thank you so much if you're a person willing to go out of your way for lil'ol'me...

Damn angelfire! Ok... maybe I did the url wrong, but if you highlight it, copy it, then paste it as an address, you'll see the pic.

Hey, it's not awful. You just might do better than the SP_ROCK1 texture. It kind of clashes with the flat you're currently using.

Archvile64 said:

You just might do better than the SP_ROCK1 texture. It kind of clashes with the flat you're currently using.

Try using MFLR8_3. I think it will match your SP_ROCK1 texture better.

Black Void said:

I CANNOT do large open areas for the life of me.

I can't really see what the problem is here. You seem to have done fine. However, there are a couple of suggestions I can make. First, you might want to set up your boundary "wall" to be lower, so that it will appear that you are on a mesa that is surrounded by low-lying areas. Second, you might want to try making your canyons deeper. DooM has a 1023 unit "limit" on the maximum height of a sector. If you exceed that your editor will give you an error message, but as far as I can tell, game play is not affected in any way.

ReX said:

I can't really see what the problem is here. You seem to have done fine. However, there are a couple of suggestions I can make. First, you might want to set up your boundary "wall" to be lower, so that it will appear that you are on a mesa that is surrounded by low-lying areas.

This is accomplished by making a sector that goes around the whole canyon. Make it the same floor height, but give it a lower ceiling height. Then, give the ceiling flat F_SKY1 and put whatever you want for the upper texture (they won't show up).

Second, you might want to try making your canyons deeper. DooM has a 1023 unit "limit" on the maximum height of a sector. If you exceed that your editor will give you an error message, but as far as I can tell, game play is not affected in any way.

I've seen it crash sometimes on Vanilla, but most source ports are fine with just about any height.

Alright- thanks people! I'll give it a try, but for now, I think I'd better finish that level for the doomworld community chest...

BB_ said:

i'll help, how big do you want it?

Well... after all this friendly advice for me, I really don't need the help anymore. But I suppose if you can do better than I can, feel free to help. I don't want it to big, seeing as how it will branch off into caves. Just medium sized is fine, again, I don't really need it, so just make it if you're feeling bored or just simply don't have anything better to do.

Thank you very much BB! I hope you don't mind, but I warped it from its original state, although every sector so far is still drawn by you. You will get the credit you deserve- thanks. (note: I would've just emailed this message to you, but I accidentaly deleted your email ;-)

no trouble mate, glad to help, though i'm curious as to how you warped it. Was it a texture change or something bigger? Cant wait to see what it ends up like :)