Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Craigs

A couple of critical issues involving XWE

Okay, so I'm having two major issues with XWE. One is with SNDINFO, the other is with MAPINFO.

SNDINFO: This is by far the worst problem I'm having, as it somehow COMPLETELY destroys every square inch of any map in the wad. I create the sound info lump with XWE, and then put in the sound. Here is the sndinfo text

DEAGLS Magnumshot

So then I save it, close it, and then open it up Doom Builder.
To my surprise and horror, the map is NOT THERE. Instead, it just says SNDINFO in the box where MAP01 should be. Opening it up just reveals a bunch of messed up lindefs, sectors, and vertexs that resemble nothing except a bunch of scribbles. I open it up with XWE, look at the map lump, and it looks exactly like the messed up version. The map is rendered useless, and I have to start all over. WTF happened?

MAPINFO:
This was a minor inconvenience, but still extremely annoying.
I created a simple mapinfo, nothing too fancy

MAP MAP01 "Space Station"
Doublesky
SKY1 Asteroid .0
SKY2 Spacesky .2

The "Asteroid" is the ring of asteriods surrounding the space station, and the Spacesky is the stars and distant planets in the background.

This one doesn't completely mess up the map, but when I open it up and test it to see if it works, it does not.
The wad is still playable, but the sky consists of the Asteroid texture, with another asteroid texture scrolling behind it. What did I do wrong?

Craigs said:

So then I save it, close it, and then open it up Doom Builder.
To my surprise and horror, the map is NOT THERE. Instead, it just says SNDINFO in the box where MAP01 should be. Opening it up just reveals a bunch of messed up lindefs, sectors, and vertexs that resemble nothing except a bunch of scribbles. I open it up with XWE, look at the map lump, and it looks exactly like the messed up version. The map is rendered useless, and I have to start all over. WTF happened?

What you're describing typically happens if you have the map open in XWE while it is already open in another editor (e.g., DooM Builder). This may explain what happened to you, but there may be other reasons too. I have used XWE to insert lumps such as MAPINFO and SNDINFO, and have not had any problems. Were you using the beta version of XWE?

Hopefully you did not delete or over-write your backed up wad, and were able to recover the map.

For the first issue, you didn't happen to create the new lump between the MAP01 and it's corresponding lumps, did you? The map header lump and it's respective lumps have to be in the correct order for the map to be valid.

As for the second problem, try searching the zdoom forums on it. I found a thread describing something similar to the problem you're having, involving double skies and such.