You may have heard of NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month, when aspiring novelists try to write 50,000 words in 30 days. Well, get ready for NaNoWADMo! (Don't think too much about this abbreviation. All I've got is that "novel" can also mean new, so...)   The last two years, I've spent the month of November speedmapping. I start on November 1st and by November 30th I've got an entire megaWAD finished. I've had so much fun with this little tradition, I thought... maybe other folks would be up for it too. So I'm proposing a challenge! Got spare time in November? Suffering from a mapper's block you just can't break through? Been planning on creating your own megaWAD but never gotten it off the ground? Then why not join me for the First Annual NaNoWADMo!   Here are the rules:   1) On the first day of November, you start work on a brand new WAD. It's okay if you've got ideas, a written outline, even a resource pack compiled before then, but no work can be done on the actual maps (including sketching them out) until the 1st. If you're looking for an exact time to start, you can just go with midnight in your timezone. For the next 30 days, you map at whatever pace makes sense for you. Maybe you set aside an hour a day to churn out a map. Maybe you knock out fifteen maps in the first week so you can relax a little for the rest of the month. Maybe (probably) you do the opposite. All I ask is that you take care of yourself and know your limits. It's not worth compromising your metal or physical health to get a few more maps done.   2) The challenge ends November 30th. Post a download link for your WAD in this thread on December 1st, whatever state it's in. Don't worry if the maps are buggy and unpolished! The challenge is only about getting the WAD done, even if it's a rough draft. You can playtest, bugfix, and polish to your heart's content after the fact. Heck, you could take all your short NaNoWADMo maps and use them as starting points to expand into Eternal Doom-sized epics. They're your maps to do with as you please. The point of NaNoWADMo is just to get you mapping!   3) Completing the challenge simply means finishing a full megaWAD for whatever game you're mapping for. That likely means 32 maps, since most people will probably want to map for Doom II. But if you're doing Doom or Heretic we'll say three full episodes -- 27 maps. And if you're mapping for a more obscure IWAD, we can work out the details. Maps can be any length, for any port, and any gameplay style, as long as they can be played from start to finish (though one or two progression-breaking bugs are okay). Obviously you can't just make 32 boxes with exit switches, and there's a point where it's clear you didn't really try to make proper maps, but I doubt we'll have to worry about that.   Okay, so what if you don't make it to 32 (or 27) maps by the deadline? What if you've only got 25? Or 12? Or 3? Well, then you've got 25 or 12 or 3 maps you didn't have at the beginning of November! You've got something to build off of at your leisure, or a cool concept you can turn into an even cooler concept later. The idea of the challenge is to get your mapping juices flowing, so if you get anything done, pat yourself on the back! You did it!   If you want to give NaNoWADMo a shot, just post here to sign up. At the start of November, we'll kick this thing off and this thread will become the hub for everyone to post their screenshots, progress reports, WIP downloads, links to mapping streams, etc.   That's it! Remember: this is a challenge, not a contest. And above all, it's supposed to be fun. We're working on the honor system here, and there's no prize except the maps you make along the way. Happy NaNoWADMo!   This year's NaNoWADMo-ers and their projects:   @Ryath - UnBeliever (in progress) @DanielAlexander - NaNoDanMo (in progress) @AD_79 @DerFurer'sFace @Egg Boy @Pegleg @Jimmy - Deathless @CanSteam @Crunchynut44 @Poohlyash @Phobus @meapineapple - Nanopineapple (in progress) @SOSU @Qeswic @elmle - Beautiful Nightmares (in progress) @TheOrganGrinder - Chicxulub Impact (in progress) @Breezeep @Voltcom9 - Wolfenstein 3D, Part 2: ROTT @Terminus @Swalzi @NoisyVelvet - NoisyDiarrhea (in progress) Chaingunner @Gothic @yakfak (writing MIDIs!) @NaZa @Worm318 - Halfdeath (in progress) @Scypek2 - Beyond the End @bioshockfan90 @Walter confetti - Doom Doom (in progress) @jerrysheppy @Solarn @obake @Doge Sword @Lorenz0 - Scattered Ashes @Philnemba - Hell on Phil (in progress) @franckFRAG - Nanocore (in progress) @Impie joe-ilya - Fun N' Gun (in progress) *direct download link   If you want to talk NaNoWADMo in real time, stop by the Discord!