A new version with an extra level, better deathmatch and lots of small improvements is now available! See here.   * * *   It's done. During the course of NaNoWADMo 2019 last October, I made 19 levels. The rest of the project took considerably longer to finish, but it was all worth it, and now my second ever megawad is finally finished.     Three Is A Crowd tells a story of three people, facing different challenges as they set off on separate yet intertwined paths. It also shakes up the usual techbase-hell progression a bit. Overall, it's considerably vanilla, with just a few new textures, but it has its own unique feel and features plenty of variety and surprises among the levels... if you're playing in a port that supports demo playback, just stay on the title screen for a while and you'll see what I mean.   In addition, I had my creativity spurred by a friend, who (without knowing much about Doom) challenged me to implement a few specific themes within the levels:   Unexpectedly long corridor. A room with seven doors in one wall, and exactly one other exit. Make the player feel sorry for an enemy. A least seven arrow shapes that indicate the direction of something, at least one of which the player walks through. 37 chaingunners in a single level!  Precede their appearance with an image of the number 37... and include at least one other reference to the number 37 somewhere in the level. A lift that you keep encountering, but ████ ██ ███ ███ ███ ███ ███. approximate the feel of a store with a storekeeper from which you can buy things... but maybe ███ █████ █████ ██ ██ ████?! Include a key whose location is very hard to find by chance... but for which there are multiple clues indicating where the player should look, scattered around the map.   I did manage to implement every single one of these themes... see if you can recognize them all as you play!   Here are some extra screenshots:   Special thanks to: @Ribbiks, @Crunchynut44 and @Doomkid for the music, @valkiriforce, @Chaingunner, @MTX1996, OSJCLatchford, @Doom_Dude, @Solmyr, @EarthQuake, @129thVisplane and @Eradrop for the textures, @Ryath for some playtesting... and for hosting NaNoWADMo of course!   I've written down some thoughts about the maps, detailing the gimmicks and mapping tricks I used, as well as any other background info I could think of. I shared them during the Doomworld Megawad Club playthrough, and later compiled them on Tumblr.    * * *
3IAC_1.1.zip (original release) Anniversary Edition (better deathmatch, new level, various improvements)
  • Reputation Points