Stanimapping is a (possibly) new and embarassingly titled variation on speedmapping. The principle is that you can take as long as you like on a map so long as it's all done in one sitting.

One sitting, for the purposes of the excercise is loosely defined as an unbroken spell in your level editor of choice. You can leave the editor to playtest the map, go to the toilet, look at Doomworld or eat lunch but not to sleep, go outside or do, you know, other important real life stuff.

Prep work can be done in advance as long as it doesn't involve the editor and some amount of bugfixing can be done after the map is uploaded similar to in regular speedmapping.

Anyone intersted in this? If so post here. Provided people want to join in I'll post a theme at the start of January and you can pick the most convenient point in the month for a bit of a mapping marathon.

JANUARY'S THEME

INDUSTRIAL ZONES

Factories, power plants and derelict warehouses are all welcome. I want to encourage variety and won't be busting balls over eligibility so, provided you can describe your map as industrial with a straight face, you're good.

Resources

Custom music is OK but I'd prefer to stick to stock textures. If there's a custom texture you can't live without then fine, but include it in your WAD seperate to it's texture pack, I don't want to fiddle about doing that. Credit the source for any custom music or textures.

Format

Format is Doom II, limit removing cl 2. So don't worry about VPOs but no advance Boom trickery please. Avoid using map specific specials, or if you do be warned you risk exclusion should these maps get compiled.

Gameplay is single play, pistol start. You don't need to worry about co-op or DM if you don't want to. Skill flags are encouraged but not essential.

Pick any point in January where you'll have plenty of free time and make a map in one go (see first post for the definition). When you're done upload your map and link to it here. Post your start, end and total mapping time, including a short description on your take on the theme. If you don't want the map including in a compilation this would be the time to say so.

Finally, if this becomes a thing I will change the name to grindmapping. Happy Grinding!!

January Grindmaps

Slime River Factory by Katamori (3 hours, 37 minutes)

Alligator by purist (7 hours, 41 minutes)

Migdal Bavel by dobugabumaru (approx. 10 hours)