WinDOOM 2.015

So why am I porting a 14 year old DOOM source port to modern compilers and modern Windows (VS2015 and Windows 10)? Because I wanted a .NET port of DOOM. There was one back in 2006 but Satan only knows where that guy who wrote it is now, let alone if he even has the source. So I had to roll my own.

The idea was to start with a clean straight Windows/DirectX port of Vanilla Doom, clean it up, refactor the code, etc., and then use that as a basis. So no flats/sprites-in-a-PWAD, no DeHackEd, no BOOM/MBF extensions, no SDL or other libraries; a clean straight Windows and DirectX source port.

WinDoom, as amended by Dean Wiley, fitted the bill. This is purer than Chocolate Doom - but it won't stay that way for long :P

It was quite a job to even get this far. The DirectX version it works with is old, the MUS2MIDI code was totally borked (I used public DOOM3 BFG source), the screenshot format is PCX which works is so old that even Paint.Net can't open it (had to use FastStone Image Viewer and IrfanView should work too).

Of course then there were the the usual crash fixes: Unterminated sprite list - fixed. High-resolution crash in r_things.c - still working on that one. Crash handler with stack dump - done.

Compiled with Visual Studion 2015 Community Edition.
Tested on Windows 10 with Doom Shareware, Ultimate Doom, Doom2, TNT and Plutonia.
Download program: WinDOOM2015x86.zip
Download source: WinDOOM2015src.zip
If you have Chrome it will ask to Keep or Discard these files as they are very careful about downloads.

Screenshots:

This is nothing serious, just a bit of fun for when I have the odd couple of spare hours :)
Of course I seem to be spending rather more time on it than I meant to :p

Oh and just for the lolz: